• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4l80e swap from a 97 into a 92 k2500

Dslunaker

Reaction score
I haven't been able to find anything online that can tell me exactly what all I have to change. I have a 92 k2500 4x4 with a bad 4l80 transmission, I have a good jasper rebuilt 4l80 out of a 97. I know the one trans cooler line has to be extended to the rear but I'm not sure what to do with the neutral safety switch on the side of the 97 transmission. Is it as simple as swapping the shafts? Is that all there is to it or am I overlooking something?

92 and 97 may as well be a completely different trans. Your stock 92 tcm cannot work with s 97 trans. You would have to swap the 92's accumulator manifold to the 97 valve body, open the passages for the pcs accumulator, and change to the 91-93 style pcs. Then you would have to COMPLETELY disassemble the trans to add in an output reluctor wheel. And then adapt the trans cooler lines(but it's advisable to change the cooler lines to 3/8" from your current 5/16").

So basically for simplicity I'd be better off to sell this 97 trans and tcase and just buy a 92/93 4l80e instead.

Yup.
Also follow old parts rule #1: Never get rid of your old part until the new one is in and working. Even if there is a core charge- wait until everything is good and get refunded later.

With the transmission if there is a QUALITY rebuild shop near you, often a better way to go. If your not sure a outside shops around you, let us know where you’re at and hopefully someone here has suggestions.

Yes, get a 91-93 4x4 unit, and if yours hasn't been done yet, upgrade the wiring harness to the 93+ style. The 91 to early 93 harness was a nightmare with leaks and bad connections.

Yes, get a 91-93 4x4 unit, and if yours hasn't been done yet, upgrade the wiring harness to the 93+ style. The 91 to early 93 harness was a nightmare with leaks and bad connections.
The harness has been upgraded already, thank you for the info. I guess I jumped the gun thinking the 4l80e were the same.

Back