• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L80E rebuild

denata

Reaction score
4L80E on my H1 august 99'- die (once again ).
Lost 3th and reverse.
Several times I rebuilt, changed the clutches, rings and others
Raybestos and Red eagle, all the same through the duration of the mushrooms burned direct.

What to do , what components to put there to never remove this f***in gear box?

I am looking for a new / old 4l80e . I was offered rebuilded box of gasoline. with a short neck converter. On it ID plate
97 6 267.
How to decipher these numbers?

I will not buy a pig in a poke.
I will rebuild myself.
Which clutches are better?
Raybeston.
Red eagle.
Borg Warner.
Exedy.

Maybe other?

I will not buy a pig in a poke.
I will rebuild myself.
Which clutches are better?
Raybeston.
Red eagle.
Borg Warner.
Exedy.

Maybe other?
I like RED Eagle, however; Raybeston, has a few types that are better suited for the task, but its best too research as to what combinations will work in the 4L80/85 platform...I never built this series always paid very big bucks to have PRO's build them for me.

Ordered all new valves. a set of clutches, a set of gaskets and rubber bands. new pistons in drums. what else need? Ebay sells many kits of obscure sonax and transgo,. which of them will you advise?
Screenshot_2021-01-10-07-18-52-41.jpgScreenshot_2021-01-10-07-18-29-62.jpgScreenshot_2021-01-10-07-17-35-78.jpg

I used Sonnax and TransGo combined, Sonnax is more into fixing factory issues for reliability, TransGo is for more pressure and performance. Then there are Billet parts for more strength which can easily dent your budget.

Can immediately buy a kit 34200-16k?
I don't like the sonnax kit, the transgo kit is preferred by most builders. It costs alot less, the single valve kit is under $60, but you have to buy a $315 reamer kit to put it in. The transgo kit to do 5 trannies with reamer is $105(bought mine a year and a half ago for $65, can't believe how much prices went up).

Transgo 48ACTTL
I would also put in the transgo 4l80e-tcc valve.

Last edited:
Back