• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4l80E differences???????

Hey ferm how hard would it be to convert a 94 truck to the 95+ cable?
Not to hard. Several have disconnected the mechanical linkage where it comes out at the bottom of the steering column, and used a lokar cable designed to connect to it, then hooked up the other end of the cable to the trans.

I have a 95 K3500 with the7.4L and the front pumpblew while towing a trailer up a grade. Anyway, I picked up a 98 4l80e and the only difference is where the trans. fluid lines connect and the size of those lines.Are those high pressure lines and will that swap work?

Those are the trans cooler lines. They operate up to 80-100 psi iirc. You used to be able to buy adapters so it was a bolt in swap, but I havent seen them for sale for awhile now. Just be certain to use the correct fittings in the 97+ 4l80e. The rear cooler fitting is special and if you use the wrong fitting fluid will dump to the pan instead of going through the cooler circuit, and you'll burn it up.

Thanx
Those are the trans cooler lines. They operate up to 80-100 psi iirc. You used to be able to buy adapters so it was a bolt in swap, but I havent seen them for sale for awhile now. Just be certain to use the correct fittings in the 97+ 4l80e. The rear cooler fitting is special and if you use the wrong fitting fluid will dump to the pan instead of going through the cooler circuit, and you'll burn it up.
Thanx for the priceless info! Those 4l80e's for the 95 k3500 are a rare breed.

How hard is it to swap the lines
Not bad. There is 3/8" inverted flare fittings available for the 97+ style trans. Many buy them, get a reducer for the front line, then bend up a line to connect the rear cooler return to the old style in front, and put a 3/8" to 5/16" reducer fitting on it to connect it.

91-93 used old style wiring harness, and a different valve body due to a different lockup frequency and eliminiated teh PWM cleaning cycle for 94. 94 is a one year only trans in that it still used the shift shaft for old style mechanical shift linkage, had no bosses for a NSBU, but the new style wiring harness and lockup setup in the valve body. It should also be noted that 91-93 with factory PROMS can not use the newer 94+ lockup solenoid, but uses it's own style(455MHZ VS the 805 of the newer style. Don't quote me on the exact frequencys off the top of my head). 95-96 is just like 94 except they have bosses for the NSBU and the newer style shift shaft for a shift cable instead of mechanical shift linkage. 97 started the rear oiler as it is called where they enlarged the fittings for the cooler lines and made it so one was in the front and one was in the rear. Starting late 99 GM upgraded them again with a solid input shaft, a 1/4" wider band, and a few other internal changes to improve oiling. There were also other running changes through the years to correct problems and failure prone areas, and I'm sure many other things I'm forgetting right now.

Also a 94 trans will fit into any 94 without issue, but cannot be used in a newer truck without finding some way to modify it to accept a NSBU. A 95-96 trans can be used in a 94-96 plug and play so long as you use the correct shift shaft. A 97+ can go into a 96- with afapter lines and fittings and using the correct shift shaft. If you put a 94+ into a 91-93, you either have to use the 91-93 valve body, or get a custom PROM for your controller for the new style lockup solenoid.
Can you enlighten me on the 4l80e converters? what years will this new converter I have for a 94 work in? Possibly a 01 6.0??

No. Input shaft spline count is different, I believe. Iirc the change came with the 2000 model year. Ferm is the transmission expert.

Hate to be the guy to resurrect a 6 year old thread but hey it's 2020 and everything is out of order anyway so why not......

Will a 4l80e out of a 1998 work in a 1994? I have gathered from this thread that it "should" work?? I guess I am looking for a for sure answer. I know I will have to change out the shift linkage and adapt the cooler lines but other than that will it work?

Question two..... will this converter work in said transmission? GM88H-BP I found a new one for sale cheap locally and want to make sure it will work.

Hate to be the guy to resurrect a 6 year old thread but hey it's 2020 and everything is out of order anyway so why not......

Will a 4l80e out of a 1998 work in a 1994? I have gathered from this thread that it "should" work?? I guess I am looking for a for sure answer. I know I will have to change out the shift linkage and adapt the cooler lines but other than that will it work?

Question two..... will this converter work in said transmission? GM88H-BP I found a new one for sale cheap locally and want to make sure it will work.
Yes, 94+ is all the same as far as how they operate. The gm88h-bp will work, but keep in mind that is a high stall single stator unit for a 4.8l or 6.0l LS engine.

Hey thanks for taking the time to reply I was hoping you’d see this. It seems you are the go to guy for this kind of information. So with that torque converter being a higher stall what does that mean? I understand that the original one was like 1600 - 1800 stall and this one is 2200 — 2400 I think anyway. I used a site to reference those numbers. but it shows one being the 22 -24 and the other being 18 - 20 stall. Not sure how I would know the difference it only has one label on it.
I am wanting to use that converter because a guy locally has it cheap.
If I do use it what are the pros cons of it being a higher stall

sorry for rambling on but thanks again

Attachments

• A8513EA0-E9E9-4C84-B76D-513233DD9EDF.png
    A8513EA0-E9E9-4C84-B76D-513233DD9EDF.png
    215 KB · Views: 5
Transtar has some discrepancies in there 4l80e converter listings. I've seen the gm88h-bp listed as 1800-2000 and as 2200-2400 by transtar in different catalogs. Being it's for a 6.0l, I would expect it to ve around a 2200 stall. For a 6.5l I don't think you'll be happy with a stock turbo. You might be ok with an att, but with a stock one I think it would flash pretty hard. It's a pretty loose single stator converter with not much pull right off idle.

Fyi, that converter new is under $300. I picked up a gm82-bp earlier this year for a tbi 5.7l for $225 brand new from the local transtar branch.

One last post and I will leave this alone...... I have a 94 3/4 ton with the 5.7 engine that I am wanting to use that converter with.

It will work, but not as good as the stock converter did. 5.7l tbi's got a dual stator mid stall converter because tbi's made peak power down low, but not enough to work well with a single stator low stall converter. So they built the special dual stator unit just for them. The high stall single stator will work, but it will feel weak off idle compared to the dual stator unit.

But it would work better behind a 5.7TBI than a 6.5TD, if you had only it to use and those two engines to choose from, right Ferm?

I have a brand new 94 tranny in my shop if your looking. Converter and the whole works.

Back