• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4l80E differences???????

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Hey ferm how hard would it be to convert a 94 truck to the 95+ cable?
Not to hard. Several have disconnected the mechanical linkage where it comes out at the bottom of the steering column, and used a lokar cable designed to connect to it, then hooked up the other end of the cable to the trans.

I have a 95 K3500 with the7.4L and the front pumpblew while towing a trailer up a grade. Anyway, I picked up a 98 4l80e and the only difference is where the trans. fluid lines connect and the size of those lines.Are those high pressure lines and will that swap work?

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Those are the trans cooler lines. They operate up to 80-100 psi iirc. You used to be able to buy adapters so it was a bolt in swap, but I havent seen them for sale for awhile now. Just be certain to use the correct fittings in the 97+ 4l80e. The rear cooler fitting is special and if you use the wrong fitting fluid will dump to the pan instead of going through the cooler circuit, and you'll burn it up.

Thanx
Those are the trans cooler lines. They operate up to 80-100 psi iirc. You used to be able to buy adapters so it was a bolt in swap, but I havent seen them for sale for awhile now. Just be certain to use the correct fittings in the 97+ 4l80e. The rear cooler fitting is special and if you use the wrong fitting fluid will dump to the pan instead of going through the cooler circuit, and you'll burn it up.
Thanx for the priceless info! Those 4l80e's for the 95 k3500 are a rare breed.

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
How hard is it to swap the lines
Not bad. There is 3/8" inverted flare fittings available for the 97+ style trans. Many buy them, get a reducer for the front line, then bend up a line to connect the rear cooler return to the old style in front, and put a 3/8" to 5/16" reducer fitting on it to connect it.