• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

4L80 TCM

And don't get me wrong, Im one of those guys that if you tell me I can't do something I'll make sure to do in spite. It might cost me more in the end, but I did it!
So Im just saying in this case many people besides myself have been there and its not worth the effort in the end when aftermarket controllers are readily available for low cost.

Yup, ive done it befor putting a 4l80e behind a gasser and we figured it out. Using something like the optishift would have been a better choice in the end. But if a person simply cant spend the cash, there comes a point when junkyards is the only out.

Leroy was right
Got more problems than I can shake a stick at,and my biggest worry is reliability can't afford to be away from home and have a electrical fail,it would be more than the trucks worth to recover it,
It was worth having ago at but this time I'll suck it up and move on!
Thanks for all your help guys it been a pleasure you've all been very helpful
Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll be able to give you a update on how I went with plan B
Regards vintex

Uhhhh,heh,heh. I am merely asking here. If he converted to a DB2 pump why not get a good used TCM from a 93 with a 6.5. The 6.5 was mechanical that year and only had a TCM. Wouldn't that help?

Uhhhh,heh,heh. I am merely asking here. If he converted to a DB2 pump why not get a good used TCM from a 93 with a 6.5. The 6.5 was mechanical that year and only had a TCM. Wouldn't that help?
It can be made to work, but it can be ALOT more work scrounging up junk yard controllers, TPS, ESS, harness, harness ends, and adapting everything over whereas the aftermarket controllers drop right in with minimal wiring, and require little to no setup. BUT if you want to change how it shifts or when, you CAN do it with an optishift whereas the stock TCM would require a custom PROM from somebody who can burn one.

No dought it can be made to work,all you need is time ,a commodity that I just don't have,I thought it would be easy did the research ,got the parts found it hard to find the correct wiring diagram but nether the less proceeded with the project
It didn't work ,could be something simple might be something major but what ever it is will probably take up two days to fault find .where as the optishift should have me mobile in a couple of hours with the added bonus of reliability saving heaps of my preciouse time
If I hadn't been so stubborn in the first place I could have saved my self $400 in what are now redundant parts
Can't win them all
Regards

Theres ALOT of happy OPTISHOFT users out there right now, and you can't beat the fact that it has so many features you can do with it right from the unit itself without a laptop. I've been there and tried to do it the junkyard way, and in the end spent more than I would have if I had just done it the easy way to begin with. I try to do it the easy way now whenever possible as it normally saves me money.

Yes l have thought about that but nobody over hear wants it I'm not going to bother jerking the ESS out it can stay there iv got to tcms ones a recon with no E prom the other the same 16196390 its complete probably be flat out getting the postage back

It can be made to work, but it can be ALOT more work scrounging up junk yard controllers, TPS, ESS, harness, harness ends, and adapting everything over whereas the aftermarket controllers drop right in with minimal wiring, and require little to no setup. BUT if you want to change how it shifts or when, you CAN do it with an optishift whereas the stock TCM would require a custom PROM from somebody who can burn one.
Thanks for the reply, I guess since I do that kind of stuff often it does not occur to me the time it takes.

Well guys,purchased a quick1. Controller from leroy diesel ,very promt service, the package was hear in a week which is good for our part of the country!
Was very easy to fit,
Had a run in with a intermittent power supply ( my fault for not testing it properly) and my tps caused a little drama which I overcame by increasing the closed throttle referance,basicly just turning the tps slightly.
I'm slowly customising a program for my driving, it gives you a lot of options once I get it how I want it I should never have to touch it.
The only question I have is I want to connect my speedo to the speed signal wire on the unit ,how do I go about this,as any one pulled this of.
I connected it to the brown wire witch I thought was the original speed input but no joy
Do I go straight to the speedo or do I go to the VSSB ,any ideas??
Any ways using my special 20 20 hindsight don't bother wasting your time buying junk of the Internet for one of these conversions , just go straight to leroy diesel buy the unit ,plug ,it in drive your truck
It's that simple
And once again thank you all. For your help,this is a great forum

Back