• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

350 carbs and throttle bodys

Ive heard about the spider injectors but are they worth the dough? Im all for them if they do improve it. Just looking for a better intake to get in there. I looking for more power but dont wanna get into the motor other than a cam. Also you happen to know where I can get some single turbo manifolds/headers for it?
Yes the vortec has a lot more getup and go than the OBD1 TB had.
I know the improved spiders are out there, I`ve seen them in ebay and such.
Before installing a turbo, the internals of the engine should be beefed up with components that will take the extra stress.Rods and pistons being the main concern.
It would be much easier to add on a super charger kit than it would be a turbo, I believe.
The ferminator or someone with more knowledge than I may step in and correct Me if I am wrong.
I do have a 3.8 Buick Grand National turbo charged V6 and I know that they used a heavier crank, rods and even forged pistons in those engines, whatever forged pistons means.
That sounds like a very nice truck. I always liked the looks of the duallys over the single rear wheels, something about the wide back end of the duallys I just like, not so much on girls though. LOL

Yes the vortec has a lot more getup and go than the OBD1 TB had.
I know the improved spiders are out there, I`ve seen them in ebay and such.
Before installing a turbo, the internals of the engine should be beefed up with components that will take the extra stress.Rods and pistons being the main concern.
It would be much easier to add on a super charger kit than it would be a turbo, I believe.
The ferminator or someone with more knowledge than I may step in and correct Me if I am wrong.
I do have a 3.8 Buick Grand National turbo charged V6 and I know that they used a heavier crank, rods and even forged pistons in those engines, whatever forged pistons means.
That sounds like a very nice truck. I always liked the looks of the duallys over the single rear wheels, something about the wide back end of the duallys I just like, not so much on girls though. LOL

Yeah its a good ol truck all I have in it is $2,100 and i could put it on the road today. Only 15 so Im waiting until 16 to tag and insure it. I don't wanna hot rod the engine cause lets be honest, ITS A TRUCK lol but I do want some power cause Im gonna be doing a lot of hauling with it. Dont really wanna swap motors but I know where a 454 is for $250 in a scrap yard. Who knows the condition though.... Intend to rebuild it if I buy then put it in this ol girl

You're opening up a big can of worms here imo. Do you plan on ditching the efi and going carb? If this is an automatic equipped truck, then plan on dropping some dough to do it. If you're staying fuel injected, then you better start saving some $$$$ if you want to do much to that engine. You need to do some SERIOUS research on what you have. You cannot just do a cam swap in that engine without also at the minumum doing the beehive spring swap, billet locks, and short valve seals, and that will only get you enough clearance for a .450 lift cam(not worth it considering stock is .419). You can put a set of headers on it, get a tune in it, remove the airfoil from the throttle blade, cold air intake, but anything much more than that will require going into the engine. Also keep in mind you're limited to a single roller timing chain unless you want to lay out about $700 for a custom timing cover and reluctor wheel. Even boosting it will require some valve train work if you want it to hold up as the stock springs were weak from the get go in these engines. You're dabbling in expensive waters here.

You're opening up a big can of worms here imo. Do you plan on ditching the efi and going carb? If this is an automatic equipped truck, then plan on dropping some dough to do it. If you're staying fuel injected, then you better start saving some $$$$ if you want to do much to that engine. You need to do some SERIOUS research on what you have. You cannot just do a cam swap in that engine without also at the minumum doing the beehive spring swap, billet locks, and short valve seals, and that will only get you enough clearance for a .450 lift cam(not worth it considering stock is .419). You can put a set of headers on it, get a tune in it, remove the airfoil from the throttle blade, cold air intake, but anything much more than that will require going into the engine. Also keep in mind you're limited to a single roller timing chain unless you want to lay out about $700 for a custom timing cover and reluctor wheel. Even boosting it will require some valve train work if you want it to hold up as the stock springs were weak from the get go in these engines. You're dabbling in expensive waters here.

So my best bet is leave it the way it is or bbc swap it? I can get all the computers and motor for around $300 same with a 6.5 diesel.

Those 350s might not be the fastest or most powerful but they sure are dependable. Just takes a little longer when pulling a load is all.
With the 4:11 gears it might not be bad at all.

No matter the set up, going a tad bit over stock is usually doable without getting too pricey. But really you have to know the hp / torque numbers you are looking for before you start. Use of the rig is key.

There are guys that buy a H1 then put in big power gas engines and just destroy everything as they go, not understanding they chose the wrong platform.

My drive to work truck or towing- my 99 gasser 7.4 was quieter and quicker, so nice for getting through traffic faster and could still get materials on my way home from home depot, but my 99 6.5 could tow better and less fuel costs- but rush hour meant right lane only- no quick passing anyone in front of me at freeway speeds or stoplight to stoplight.

So my best bet is leave it the way it is or bbc swap it? I can get all the computers and motor for around $300 same with a 6.5 diesel.
The 454 and 6.5 will both get you more power, but you're never going to make it a really fast truck. You should have gotten a 1500 if you were after speed. A platform that weighs over a 1K lbs less to start with will feel signifigantly faster simply because of the weight difference. The 5.7l can be made to make some power, but don't fool yourself into thinking you can do it cheaply. As to engine swaps and such, the cost of the engine is many times one of the smallest costs incurred. It's all the ancillary items that rack up the bill.

No matter the set up, going a tad bit over stock is usually doable without getting too pricey. But really you have to know the hp / torque numbers you are looking for before you start. Use of the rig is key.

There are guys that buy a H1 then put in big power gas engines and just destroy everything as they go, not understanding they chose the wrong platform.

My drive to work truck or towing- my 99 gasser 7.4 was quieter and quicker, so nice for getting through traffic faster and could still get materials on my way home from home depot, but my 99 6.5 could tow better and less fuel costs- but rush hour meant right lane only- no quick passing anyone in front of me at freeway speeds or stoplight to stoplight.
The 454 and 6.5 will both get you more power, but you're never going to make it a really fast truck. You should have gotten a 1500 if you were after speed. A platform that weighs over a 1K lbs less to start with will feel signifigantly faster simply because of the weight difference. The 5.7l can be made to make some power, but don't fool yourself into thinking you can do it cheaply. As to engine swaps and such, the cost of the engine is many times one of the smallest costs incurred. It's all the ancillary items that rack up the bill.

Im not looking for speed to be honest, just some power. I know what kinds of stuff the 6.5s can pull as my dad has 3 trucks with 6.5s.

The 5.7l won't be fast, but it can hold it's own just fine. The older tbi engines imo can be made to pull pretty hard fairly cheap, but the vortec stuff came pretty well maxxed out stock without going in and making some changed. You can always add some boost and get a set of bigger injectors, headers, 0411 pcm swap, and turn it up a good amount that way, but theres no replacement for displacement if you're after pulling torque.

The 5.7l won't be fast, but it can hold it's own just fine. The older tbi engines imo can be made to pull pretty hard fairly cheap, but the vortec stuff came pretty well maxxed out stock without going in and making some changed. You can always add some boost and get a set of bigger injectors, headers, 0411 pcm swap, and turn it up a good amount that way, but theres no replacement for displacement if you're after pulling torque.

Think Im just gonna leave it stock inside but I would like to find the better PCM and do the spider injecters found me a 1982 GMC Sierra 2500 with a 6.2 gonna put a turbo on thanks for the help.

If you're not doing much to it, then the 0411 pcm swap would really be a waste of time and money. The big advantage to the 0411 is tuneability and processor speed so it adapts and reacts faster, but the black box 256mb is fine for stock to basic configurations. The poppet to mpi upgrade is worthwhile as well as putting in the revised intake gaskets, and checking the distributor gear while you're in there(they are known to sometimes wear/chew up, and cause timing issues).

If you're not doing much to it, then the 0411 pcm swap would really be a waste of time and money. The big advantage to the 0411 is tuneability and processor speed so it adapts and reacts faster, but the black box 256mb is fine for stock to basic configurations. The poppet to mpi upgrade is worthwhile as well as putting in the revised intake gaskets, and checking the distributor gear while you're in there(they are known to sometimes wear/chew up, and cause timing issues).

Gotcha Ill get me a set of injectors and check the distributor. Intend to get a new cap and rotor anyways

Back