• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

300k miles

When I approach a stop sign or red light I will coast from afar and most of the times I will be pushing the go pedal and I haven't lost any ground. I am right back in the thick of traffic

My brake pads were replaced at 262K and I could have left them in if them and the rotors were not glazed.

In my old Blazer and other vehicles I would have to replace pads at 30-40K miles. The 07 Trailblazer had 63K on it when my wife had the accident that totaled it and no pads ever and I bet they would have been on there at twice that many miles.

Way better materials and construction than the old stuff.

Original front end... as in pitman, idler, ball joints? That's awesome... I've been through piles of those parts on mine with less than 250k!

Original front end... as in pitman, idler, ball joints? That's awesome... I've been through piles of those parts on mine with less than 250k!
I treat mine really easy, I thought for sure I needed a new hub, but they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Now I am working on 309k miles.....

Congrats Tim on hitting 300k and beyond! Do you plan on taking it until so many miles or just until it gives up and do a engine swap? What do you do that you are able to put on 300k miles on a 6 year old truck? Any kind of overhaul on it yet or planed?

I'm almost at 84k on mine, so I have a long road to go... Plan on keeping this truck for good long while so it will be in my reach some day.

dang in less than a month I have traveled 4k miles.....Just went over 309k yesterday.

Not sure, I would visit the auto parts store and see if they are available. I know Wagner makes a excellent replacement pad.

Any way to get the same brake pad material for the older model trucks like my '99?

You need to get rid of the obsolete rear drums 1st. Then look at the small rotors and pads your 1999 has vs. the newer 16-17" rims and larger rotors. The undersized system will just not last like the newer ones. Best thing you can do is manually adjust the drums up every oil change.

It is just a brake system redesign done around 2000, 1999 on 1/2 ton pickups. Sadly GM went to rear drums again on 1/2 ton pickups in 2005.

You need to get rid of the obsolete rear drums 1st. Then look at the small rotors and pads your 1999 has vs. the newer 16-17" rims and larger rotors. The undersized system will just not last like the newer ones. Best thing you can do is manually adjust the drums up every oil change.

It is just a brake system redesign done around 2000, 1999 on 1/2 ton pickups. Sadly GM went to rear drums again on 1/2 ton pickups in 2005.

Any chance that you can adapt the larger disc brake design to my '99?

There's a good reason they use drums on the rear, especially on 4wd vehicles. Disc brakes do not do well in the mud.

If you aren't going into the mud don't worry about it. Disc brakes are the way to go and also the higher quality pad or shoes as the case maybe. With drum brakes you will never get the miles that we get on brakes. If you also check it out the pads used on the 2500HD and 3500 is about 3 times as thick as what the earlier models have on them.

Turned over 315k last week. I work on computerize pnuematic tube systems in hospitals. I cover 4 states but have to travel outside my comfort zone sometimes. This has to be the best truck I have ever had.....I take care of her and she takes care of me. I do need to wash her since it has been over a year, minus some auto washes.

Back