• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2008 GMC Envoy Denali

The mount holes on my 03 were egg shape forever we got used to the clunk I guess. sold it that way 220k later
The clunk was driving me nuts, especially once I knew what it was. I was picturing the bolt getting thinner and thinner where it was crashing into the bracket, which wouldn't be great eventually.

Sspecially the 300 Cu In
The later early-mid 90's had issues with the unleaded heads cracking valve seats. Had a '93 300 F150 service truck with AOD and 170,000 on it at a place I worked at back in 2000-1. It developed a slight miss at idle and all rpms, nothing bad, but noticeable even when cruising down the Interstate at 80mph heading between service calls. The mechanic the company used (the same I still do) diagnosed it as a cracked valve seat on #5 intake, something he'd ran into (cracked seats) several times over the last several years with high-mileage early 90's 300s. Company didn't want to spring for the cost of putting a new/reman head on the truck, just run it as it. Which was just as well, as about six months later at just over 200,000 miles the AOD barfed in spectacular manner leaving a service call at a house a hundred miles out of town - shuddering horribly in 1st as I left and by the time I got back to the shop it had only 2nd and 3rd, it dropped out of OD going down the highway at 65. Didn't bother to see if it had reverse after I pulled into the shop bay to unload. Boss decided to just junk it and buy another auto auction truck to replace it, an even bigger piece of crap Ford F150.

have you guys seen the series on powernation of the ford 300? I've heard there's other places, IIRC Australia, that are getting some serious power out of them
They're stout, especially the bottom end with all those main bearings. Just slightly less HP than a stock 302 V8 5.0L (like 5 HP) but more torque and lower in the rpm band than the 5.0 V8 in the 90's. Good for commercial/farm/hauling use.

have you guys seen the series on powernation of the ford 300? I've heard there's other places, IIRC Australia, that are getting some serious power out of them
I'm subscribed to their emails and I've seen the progress headlines for that series, but I haven't watched any of them. Based on the article title it sounds like they've hit 500hp with a turbo, but can't confirm for sure. Like Husker said - they're an attractive engine with all those main bearings. The head sucks for flow, but there are some clever people making options - I've seen people taking Cleveland heads and cutting/welding them to make a single 6 cylinder head.....there's even a couple out there that have LS heads cut/welded into a 6 cylinder head and bolted on. That would be a stout piece with the right pistons.

Back