• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2008 4l80e transmission

Jojo2506

Reaction score
Currently doing an LS swap on my 1986 chevy c10. I’m needing some help to make sure my set up will work together. I’m looking at a 2008 4l80e transmission to go on my 2005 5.3l. Will they work together and will a standalone harness for a 4l80e work

I would recommend a Holley EFI controller kit that will work for both the engine and trans. you can custom tune them for your use case too. they come with the controller and a complete harness. look up some of the build videos on Vice Grip Garage on YouTube. he uses the Holley controllers. on the episodes where he built his square body crew cab truck he goes into detail on them fairly well.

And welcome to the forum @Jojo2506

I would say so. what engine was originally in front of this trans? that will make the decision easy, but also was there any issues with the trans operation before it was pulled from it's donor?

depending on your goals and use case too. if going for performance or for towing you might want a beefed up converter too. honestly the weak point in the 4l80's is the converter lock up clutch disc.

I know @Will L. and @WarWagon can help you spend your money on better parts too and have better experience. what kind of budget do you have on it and what is you end goal and use for the truck?

I would say so. what engine was originally in front of this trans? that will make the decision easy, but also was there any issues with the trans operation before it was pulled from it's donor?

depending on your goals and use case too. if going for performance or for towing you might want a beefed up converter too. honestly the weak point in the 4l80's is the converter lock up clutch disc.

I know @Will L. and @WarWagon can help you spend your money on better parts too and have better experience. what kind of budget do you have on it and what is you end goal and use for the truck?
I’m actually doing an ls swap in a 1986 c10, I picked up a 2005 5.3l out of a silverado, 4l80e came off a 2008 6.0. I’m going for decent power nothing crazy. I’m thinking about throwing in a cam and maybe a bigger intake and throttle body.

Sounds like a nice drivable set up. It would be interesting to see weight and mpg comparisons of it when done with an 05. I suspect the hiway mpg to be a lil better in the 05 than in the much better looking and more useable 86. It would have to be a lot to convince me the body styling loss is worth it.

Are you going with a cable or dbw throttle body? I would use a GM 0411 red/blue plug PCM unless you want flex fuel, then I would use the blue/green plugged p59 PCM. The Holley is convenient, but expensive, just not needed for most users as the stock PCM's are cheaper, highly tuneable, and WAY more reliable than the aftermarket stuff. A converter upgrade is recommended for all LS's as the stock 4l60e/4l80e converters are pretty tight for economy more so than performance. You will also need the spacer and 6.0l flexplate as the 5.3l never came with a 4l80e. In all honesty for a mild 5.3l build, I would much rather have a 4l60e trans than a 4l80e unless you plan on towing heavy often. The 4l80e's 2.48 1st gear is a power killer.

Back