• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2007 SUBURBAN 4WD LTZ

smokymtn65

Reaction score
Starting this post for input and ideas. Truck is new to us. 5.3 has a few issues (mostly electrical related) and want feedback on things to look for. any particular maintenance items, upgrades suggested, I have only had an OBDLink for trouble shooting. And I would like to get a more comprehensive scanner now, with this and the Camaro.

You know I am gonna say a new good TOP post battery and cables if at all questionable.

Put a volt meter to the system to verify the dash gauge.

What issues are you having?

Change the fuel filter right away. People don’t know they exist or something and although the fuel pump you have is better that the older design, still not good against resistance. After the filter, throw a gauge on real quick and verify pump is healthy. A good reference point for the future so you know when it is going down hill.

New brake fluid is cheap and easy.

Lossen belt and wiggle the idler and tensioner pulleys. Ive heard of a few just going bad and never heard a sound on the 5.3. Not usually until over 150,000 miles but free and easy.

@Will L. Good info thanks, The rear hatch actuator is bad, bought a new one AC Delco just got it last night, RR door lock not working, Head unit/radio "upgraded" to a POJ aftermarket that does not have out-put for rear entertainment so that needs re-upgraded.

Rear hatch lock actuator replaced. Door works now ! It made the most hideous noise when you opened it manually.
Added the additional ground wire from body to alt bracket, the voltmeter is steady now .. hmm

Rear hatch lock actuator replaced. Door works now ! It made the most hideous noise when you opened it manually.
Added the additional ground wire from body to alt bracket, the voltmeter is steady now .. hmm

What?!? GM with inadequate grounding- why I never heard of such a... c’mon man!

Did you know in hmmwvs and hummers, no frame or body grounds exist? All harness. Frames are bolted joints and body is riveted & epoxy aluminum. SMH.

A ground heavy ground wire the size of positive battery cable from negative battery TOP post to both engine and body. Like a good tool: pricey day one, priceless the rest of the time you own it.

I would get a 4 seasons de-slugger for the AC compressor. Once and awhile you will get a thump on startup, after sitting awhile, from the compressor getting a slug of liquid. Sometimes that thump breaks the belt, rips the tensioner clean off, or/and blows the compressor up.

I go one heat range colder on spark plugs. NGK makes AC Delco spark plugs now. And who won WWII?

At some point the fuel filter became part of the pump and not serviceable.

@WarWagon , interesting Looks like a good preventative adder. Wonder if it help from killing the clutch bearing on the 03 Envoy XL 4.2 that has died a couple times. wish there was a replacement clutch for those. It went out on the way home from picking up the new (to me) Burb..

Very nice addition, the black wheels are a plus against the body color white.

Nice vehicle with lots of room, the 5.3L is just fine for family hauling, still plenty fast enough to get you hurt. :eek:

Yours is a nice Suburban, I never drove one that I can remember, but I know how fast a 5.3L could make a Tahoe run, dang scary fast for a SUV type vehicle..…..:smuggrin:

I would like to get a tune for it later, I know the PPV s will get along pretty good. Funny thing is in my neighborhood someone else got one almost identical about the same time. Now we can tell em apart again. I am going to change head lights and leave as is for a bit. Biggest thing I want for it right now is a factory head unit for the radio w/ nav for the Bose system. PO put a aftermarket POS in in it.

Had an issue with the Spyder aftermarket headlights right side burnt out prematurely is seemed like. so I pick up extra bulbs took front bumper cover off to change them, opened the headlight up to find a pinched wire. Looked at bulb looked ok so.. thought that was strange left one worked.. after a bit a digging I discovered these trucks have two fuses left & right. Well maybe that's a good thing I haven't had to work on it much.. lol So I had bought a HID kit went ahead and installed it to lighten things up!

Looking for suggestions on cam replacement, the DOD/AFM is tuned off now due to lifter sticking. So half of a full tune is paid for. Once i swap cam he will do a full for half price basically. This is a day driver pull a travel trailer 3-4 times 100 mile or less. Would like good throttle response and smoothish idle. Would like your thoughts. On lift and duration. Thanks

Update: did a cam change on Labor day weekend. Everything seemed good on test drive last night, i haven't scheduled at trip to tuner yet to make sure bugs were all worked out. My wife drove it today, said it cranked "funny" when she came out of store at lunch but started and drove fine. Pulled in parking lot at work and went to put in reverse and it died. Will not start now cranks and fires but immediately dies. She says she can smell gas like its flooded. Idea ??? FPR ??

Back