• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2007 Dodge 3500 air conditioner problems.

Tish

Reaction score
I have 2 2007 Dodge 3500's and everyone I've known with the 2007.s has had similar experience. I can't remember how many A/C compressors ive put in these trucks wit none lasting much over a year. I even let tne Dodge house put one in with a 2 year supposed warranty. got about 18 months. I've never gotten more than 7 volt feed to the clutch. I think that it lets the clutch slip. would it help to add a relay to feed the clutch and feed it with the clutch signal??

Hello Tish, welcome to thetruckstop.
I believe that the A/C clutches is already fed through a relay. You might check a wiring diagram to confirm this.
You also might check the voltage getting to the relay, if it is fed through a relay.

Middle of winter and your AC quit?! :woot:

I have a good guess as to how compressors are failing, but, let us know: clutch burn up, compressor lockup, etc.

Main problem is Dodge used a blind control for the fan clutch and ASSumed the fan could speed up before the AC high side goes beyond 400psig, from condenser overheating, and blows 1/2 the refrigerant out the safety valve. Yeah, blind as the ECM don't shut off the compressor when things are ready to explode, never mind the pressure goes over the design limits of the compressor.

I had a condenser coated by a site vendor here that helps with keeping cool. Link below @Twisted Steel Performance

Some further reading:

The biggest problem is the fan clutches are expensive since they're a EVC design, and people don't change them like they should. When the fan clutch gets weak, it takes a LONG time to engage, pressure spikes before engagement, and your compressor gets damaged. Whenever a compressor fails, you must change the compressor, condensor, liquid/orifice line, accumulator, many times the high pressure transducer, and almost always the fan clutch needs to be done as well. It's an expensive job and many don't do everything, then the cycle of failures just keeps repeating.

Thank s for the input. never even gave a thought to the fan clutch, I've just always blamed it on the low voltage to the clutch. The one 2007 has often blown refrigerant out of the condenser input connection if I leave it idling in hot weather. That may be due to fan clutch also. Most often the clutch just burns up. on this last one the idler bearing locked up. that was the Dodge factory replacement compressor.

Back