• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2006 f250 with code P0674 please help

darkbluef250

Reaction score
I have 2006 f250 and this morning when I started it up the check engine light came on I have edge Tuner I read trouble codes it said this code P0674 something about the 4 cylinder glow plug circuit failure should I change all glow plugs please help.

I'm not really up on FORD's stuff, but it looks like the valve cover has to come off to do them. If so I would do at least teh 4 under that cover while it's off.

On the 6.0 they're actually on the outside, much like the 6.2/6.5.
Right above the exhaust manifolds.
The harnesses are common to give problems also. They can be had for not too much.
Motorcraft glowplugs only.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

First clear code and see if it comes back. Is it starting ok, or stumbling as it starts?

The wires going to the plugs are known to rub and short out. If $ is tight, open it up and inspect wires first.
Otherwise like mentioned above do all 4 while your there. Heat shrink is your friend, or clean with brake cleaner and paint on electrical coating. Just spray cleaner on rag and wipe-don't spray cleaner into the engine.

IMO when 1 side has a problem, the other side is not far behind. If you can do all 8 plugs and inspect the other side for chaffing, you can catch it before problem occurs.

First clear code and see if it comes back. Is it starting ok, or stumbling as it starts?

The wires going to the plugs are known to rub and short out. If $ is tight, open it up and inspect wires first.
Otherwise like mentioned above do all 4 while your there. Heat shrink is your friend, or clean with brake cleaner and paint on electrical coating. Just spray cleaner on rag and wipe-don't spray cleaner into the engine.

IMO when 1 side has a problem, the other side is not far behind. If you can do all 8 plugs and inspect the other side for chaffing, you can catch it before problem occurs.
It only gives me problems in the morning takes a while to fire up then when it does a lot smoke comes out the exhaust tip and I cleared the code it came back only when the truck is cold.

On the 6.0 they're actually on the outside, much like the 6.2/6.5.
Right above the exhaust manifolds.
The harnesses are common to give problems also. They can be had for not too much.
Motorcraft glowplugs only.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
I can only put motorcraft glow plugs ?

Factory plug harness only if your going to replace it. The codes coming on from the cold requiring the glow plugs. They are not working - so you get the code and hard/rough start.

Question is - wires, plugs, or both. You have to open it up to check the wires. If they're good then it's plugs.

Factory plug harness only if your going to replace it. The codes coming on from the cold requiring the glow plugs. They are not working - so you get the code and hard/rough start.

Question is - wires, plugs, or both. You have to open it up to check the wires. If they're good then it's plugs.
OK thanks a lot for your help.

Presuming the 6.0's GP's are outside the valve cover, can first check voltage at the #4 which will help isolate whether it is the wire or GP. If the voltage is good, this is not a 100% guarantee as the wire could have corrosion in it (and still carry voltage, but not allow enough amperage).

In theory an Ohm meter can narrow down / isolate whether the GP is bad. There are specs out there somewhere in terms of the desirable resistance of a good GP. Basically high(er) resistance is good, low resistance is bad.

If completely stumped (specifically the voltage and resistance look good), consider pulling the #4 GP to see what it looks like and go from there.

Agree with the others, if the one GP is bad, best is to replace the whole lot.

Presuming the 6.0's GP's are outside the valve cover, can first check voltage at the #4 which will help isolate whether it is the wire or GP. If the voltage is good, this is not a 100% guarantee as the wire could have corrosion in it (and still carry voltage, but not allow enough amperage).

In theory an Ohm meter can narrow down / isolate whether the GP is bad. There are specs out there somewhere in terms of the desirable resistance of a good GP. Basically high(er) resistance is good, low resistance is bad.

If completely stumped (specifically the voltage and resistance look good), consider pulling the #4 GP to see what it looks like and go from there.

Agree with the others, if the one GP is bad, best is to replace the whole lot.
Thanks for info

I have a question I'm trying to buy the glow plug harness for my trucks it says it fit's Models built Prior to 12/18/06 And my truck was built 6/5 will it fit ?

Back