• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2006 Duramax Glow Plugs

RI Chevy Silveradoman

At your service
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
OK. I know this is a silly stupid question, but I am throwing it out there.
Has anyone used after market glow plugs? You can get 8 for about the price of 1.

When truck was newer, it seems that I had the glow plugs start to go 1 at a time. After a couple of those, I purchased 8 of them and replaced all with hew OE AC Delco 61G glow plugs. All was good for several years. Then, it started again, 1 here, 1 there. BUT, I kept the original glow plugs that were good and have been replacing them 1 at a time with the older good ones.
Tis that time of year, and I had #2 go, changed it, then 2 days later, #5 went. I am just thinking of replacing all of them again. I have about 165K on the clock.
Just wondering if I should go with AC Delco, Bosch, or try the AM cheap ones?
ALSO, I came across 2 different AC Delco glow plugs for 2006 Duramax trucks. One is 9G, the other is 61G. Anyone have insight as to which OE plug is newer style?
Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Wow, the price of g plugs has really gone up. I replaced mine with 61gs a couple of years ago. About 120K mi. I have had 6.2 and 6.5 motors and have never had a plug break off but have lived caution with all the horror stories I have read about. I would try and stay with factory OEM if possible unless you know for sure.

But, you can be the test guy for using the inexpensive plugs and hope they are not cheap buy have some quality to them and you

I called a local dealership to inquire about difference between 61G and 9G. Several years back I replaced all glow plugs with AC Delco 61G plugs. Apparently the 9G is the new glow plug for our trucks. The shaft is flattened on the sides of the 9G vs. round on the 61G.
I think I will stick to OEM AC Delco for now.
These 9G fit all 2006 through 2010 Duramax engines.

Yeah, that part number will cause some confusion in years to come.
It's been around for 3 years now. The old style 9g's have been gone since 95, so there hasn't been much confusion.

And 9g is the correct plug. I wouldn't chance aftermarkets if it was mine. Is your engine worth a few extra bucks for ac glow plugs? If a glow plug tip breaks off, it can wedge in and go through your head, get caught on a valve sending a valve into a piston, or any number of things.

I have had two glow plugs replaced on my 2006, 2500HD. Both of them went bad in the month of October for some reason, maybe because the weather starts getting colder then, I don't know...:mad:

Glow Plug # 5, replaced at 60,140 miles on 10-30-14

Glow Plug # 2 replaced at 73,715 miles on 10-18-16.

Every two years seems like one goes bad, I hope another one does not go bad this October, that's about the time I need my truck for sure and go out of town hunting.

@BIGR
If you have an issue with 1 or 2 glow plugs and the engine sets a code it really isn't a big deal. You can safely use the truck for a while until you can address the issue. Glow plugs are fairly easy to change by yourself too.
I just ordered all 8 from Rock Auto and used the discount code.
I will save the good glow plugs so I can use them if I am in a pinch.

@BIGR
If you have an issue with 1 or 2 glow plugs and the engine sets a code it really isn't a big deal. You can safely use the truck for a while until you can address the issue. Glow plugs are fairly easy to change by yourself too.
I just ordered all 8 from Rock Auto and used the discount code.
I will save the good glow plugs so I can use them if I am in a pinch.

Thanks for the info, I didn't think it would be that critical, but just wanted to get it fixed before going out of town, I didn't have much time to attempt the repair myself. Guess I was also afraid of breaking one off or having a hard time removing it.

I don't guess one glow plug being out would tremendously affect cold weather starting?

I think these new 9G glow plugs are 4.85 volts. The 61G plugs were 4.7 volts.
Not sure what that all means, just mentioning it in here.
Here is a pic of old 61G glow plug.20180929_105658.jpg

Last edited:
This is from the O'Reilly website.
Not sure how correct the voltage is. But I searched and found out the new 9G glow plugs are 4.85 volts. The older 61G glow plugs are 4.7 volts.

Last edited:
The change was done to have 1 glow plug for 06+. The 9G is the glow plug for the lml, and is reverse compatible back to the lmm and lbz. So the 9G number has been repurposed now for the Duramax since 2010. So in 8 years it hasn't caused any issues in regards to the ones for the 6.5l from 1995.

Back