• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!
Nice. Wish they made those covers for the amc20 (hummer diff).
That yukon is so sweet. If my wife understood we could sell the hummer and pay for a big chunk of a yukon like yours- it would be bye bye hummer so fast...

Realized I never finished updating here. I got the PSC pump installed and steering still feels perfect. No more noise from the pump. Also replaced the rear output seal in the t-case and replaced with fresh fluid.

I ordered new leaf springs from Atlas Spring over a year ago and they recently finally showed up. however now i'm concerned because at the time I wasn't planning on towing a travel trailer, but I ordered the new springs +1" over stock height. I might have messed up as I don't really need any more height now with the towing duties its used for.
I'll probably have to put them in and see how it looks and measure before and after to see if its going to affect anything. The springs weren't cheap at the time, but looks like prices have gone up (like everything else). Now a new set would set me back about $350 more than these. I might be able to bring these back and have them rework them to be stock height but I'll see how they work. Its gonna be a few months before I get to install them. Got some other projects im working on and we have a few trips planned with the trailer and one without. so hopefully get the springs put in in the spring before summer.

That is correct. As long as the factory fuel segment is there, not the dual tank segment and I have the emissions stuff in tact and the BAR label, its good to go.

That is one reason why my ‘99 is registered in Montana. Grew tired of putting the stock turbo and vaccuum pump back on it every two years for smog.

Wish I knew you were visiting Glacier as I would have loved to see your rig.

Will, get rid of the Hummer. It is impractical.
75% useable truck, 25% entertainment.
Bought for 28k, overpaying by $3k but was exactly model I wanted. put in about 10k more into it. Drove about 125,000 miles.
If I put it together with the gm block i have now, and sold off the optimizer assembled with the other parts for it I could get back maybe 3,000 for it. Then sell the hummer for $35k. Or put another $10k into it to fancy it up and sell for $50-60k. And prices are going up more as the existing ones get wrecked or rusted. Like any collector being rust free holds a lot of value. If I put Duramax allison in it and fancy up which would cost another $20k, and my labor I could sell it for around $85k.

So I justify it by its value retention. Idk if I wanna talk dollar cost averaging though. Haha

So my plan is finish optimizer how I want it with intension to put on 500,000 miles long term. Keep gm block/heads jic optimizer bites it, then I would definitely sell right away. And if I get tired of it- I can sell and get another toy.

What would I REALLY prefer? Convertable 59 caddy body on a duramax pickup rolling chassis. Alter trunk into a rumble seat. Full air ride suspension. Rear axle locker. That would get same mpg as the 2wd truck would have. Could tow a camp or work trailer easy, air ride allows lifting for mild dirt road traveling. Can I count that as practical?

I've always wanted a '59 Coupe d'Ville with a solid body and frame, drop a D-Max and Allison into it, do a custom interior, upgrade suspension/brakes/steering, and exterior in flat/semigloss black with black chrome and limo tinted glass. I just love the tail fins on the '59s! I don't want a restored car to start with, a clean bodied desert survivor with patina and a solid frame and optional condition of interior upholstry/door panels. I want to do a custom interior, replace the front bench with individual bucket seats or a 40/60 split bench. Killer A/V system. Has to be a metal top, not convertible, b/c of winter driving.

Didn't your buddy, The Count, do a 59 CdV in that exterior color w/ black out chrome for a TV episode, @Will L. ?

Time for an update....
so haven’t taken any super long trips but a few 4-500 milers. The truck has acted up on startup a few times. It seems to happen when it’s cold ambient temp (under 50F — hey I’m California) and truck has been sitting for 24 hrs or more. I talked with Eric and he was thinking maybe something to do with the antitheft or security system causing the start problem. But it definitely doesn’t sound like that to me. It seems like with colder ambient temps the fuel heater and grid heater and running as well as the glow plugs so maybe with all of that and cranking drops the voltage and the relay kicks off. The relay I’m talking about is the one that provides power to ECM while cranking. Keep in mind when this happens I can’t recrank without turning off the ignition and trying again. Also the oil life monitor resets to 0% when it acts up. That’s why I think it has something to do with that relay. It might just be really voltage sensitive or temp sensitive.

Aside from that (and it’s only occurred 3 times in the last 5 months) truck is running great. I’ve done about 2000 miles in the last month towing a few smaller trailers for work and some personal trips but it’s a dream to drive. Mileage is incredible and it just soaks up the miles. The dog loves it with all the extra room in the back.

I’m doing a trip next month with my in-laws. Only about 400 miles but first longish trip with 6/7 people in the rig. Should be a nice ride.

Recently I ended up taking the Westin tube steps off and going with some AMP research steps I picked up used for a good price. The wife is happy and I like the way it looks too.

And I picked up some trail Ready bumpers front and rear from a guy that ended up not using them. And I took the opportunity to swap the front grill for one from an 06 Sierra. It’s a little more squared up than the round bubble grill. I’ll attach some pics.

I installed my dsp5 switch on the dash and ran the wires through the firewall. Now I just need to upgrade the ECM and wire it up then load up ferms dsp5 Lbz tune. Hope to finish that up in the next few weeks.

Next up will be wheels and tires. Probably after summer. I picked up a set of h2 wheels. I also installed the PDM with tpm so I’ll get the tpms sensors when I mount new tires. Currently looking at Continental TerrainContact A/T in 285/70r17. We’ll see how that goes. Ok time for some pics.View attachment 57110View attachment 57111View attachment 57112View attachment 57113View attachment 57114
Those bumpers look sweet. Do they offer them for the current 2021 Pimp Hearst Suburban?

I've always wanted a '59 Coupe d'Ville with a solid body and frame, drop a D-Max and Allison into it, do a custom interior, upgrade suspension/brakes/steering, and exterior in flat/semigloss black with black chrome and limo tinted glass. I just love the tail fins on the '59s! I don't want a restored car to start with, a clean bodied desert survivor with patina and a solid frame and optional condition of interior upholstry/door panels. I want to do a custom interior, replace the front bench with individual bucket seats or a 40/60 split bench. Killer A/V system. Has to be a metal top, not convertible, b/c of winter driving.

Didn't your buddy, The Count, do a 59 CdV in that exterior color w/ black out chrome for a TV episode, @Will L. ?

I don’t know the count, do know couple guys that were on that show that worked for him.
Like Bob- who owns his own shop now, had pink mustache and they wouldn’t put him on because they wanted him to re dye it, but he was in background shots. Bad part is he dyed it because his daughter (maybe 12 at time) had best friend w/cancer so daughter dyed hair pink for support and dad dyed mustache. This was when pink ribbons and pink shoe laces was a new thing. Tv people wanted him to tell story about a bet gone wrong and punishment was reason for dye or something like that. SMH

Also couple more car shows that were on tv. 50% fake. Part of my 69 Camaro made it on a show and they acted like it was another one who was owned by my friend- and both of those were used as the “before”. The one that got rebuilt in a hurry was the customers actual car and it just got an engine swap- but they made it look like they fixed body and interior damage. Pinks- drag racing show, know a guy who “lost” his car on that- all staged.

So I rarely watch any of those shows.

Last edited:
(Sorry about all the pics).

Updating here a bit. Havent done much to the truck, but its been putting in some work.
Taken the rv trailer up to Oregon in February to visit some family. then took it down about an hour south of home for my brothers wedding. It got used as the groomsman staging area (worked out great). From there headed down to Santa Barbara for our anniversary. Then headed out over to the beach a few weeks ago to escape the heat. Truck and trailer have been performing flawlessly, I'm pretty happy with the setup. In addition ended up having to replace the roof of our family cabin, so 4 trips up and back with the M101 trailer loaded up hailing up material and taking back old material that was torn off. That trailer got it's workout, didnt really phase the truck. And had to fit in a trip with the Jeep up near Tahoe for a week camping and rock crawling with some buddies. Here's a few pics of it at work.

In October I'll be putting it up on the rack to do some annual maintenance (and some upgrades):
- Got a pop noise under driver seat -- pretty sure its the torsion bar crossmember bushings
- got a rattle in the driver door when the window is rolled down all the way
- lube front sway bar bushings
- lube and clean brake pins and slides
- replace rear leaf springs with new Atlas springs that have been sitting here for a while
- maybe hardwire my dashcam since its been bugging me plugged into the 12v cig outlet.

Probably add to that list as time goes one. Wife's car will need some love also (04 Yukon SLT).

Attachments

• 8AA08F03-8C3C-48CE-B6C0-58F1D3DBE7C9_1_105_c.jpeg
    8AA08F03-8C3C-48CE-B6C0-58F1D3DBE7C9_1_105_c.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 3EE4A8BD-5AE0-420E-9CC3-70AA06D91CCA_1_105_c.jpeg
    3EE4A8BD-5AE0-420E-9CC3-70AA06D91CCA_1_105_c.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 4BF8BBD2-2865-478B-AA52-E88B76A1A14B_1_105_c.jpeg
    4BF8BBD2-2865-478B-AA52-E88B76A1A14B_1_105_c.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 2
  • C0956A24-ADAA-49DF-B8BE-A22A67F52369_1_105_c.jpeg
    C0956A24-ADAA-49DF-B8BE-A22A67F52369_1_105_c.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 2
  • F8386641-7313-45E5-BEE2-9FCB21378C1D_1_105_c.jpeg
    F8386641-7313-45E5-BEE2-9FCB21378C1D_1_105_c.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 2
  • A5158557-E8B0-4E63-AF3D-5F9C157F55AB_1_102_o.jpeg
    A5158557-E8B0-4E63-AF3D-5F9C157F55AB_1_102_o.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 2
  • EB94E804-F6B1-4D55-8966-99592F564CBB_1_105_c.jpeg
    EB94E804-F6B1-4D55-8966-99592F564CBB_1_105_c.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 2
  • F3BF5FC5-A898-485D-833A-45D63FA6CC26_1_102_o.jpeg
    F3BF5FC5-A898-485D-833A-45D63FA6CC26_1_102_o.jpeg
    290.1 KB · Views: 2
While I'm posting here.... sometimes I let my mind wander and I come across stuff like this.......
IMG_0502.jpg
Then I realize the practicality of it. It's probably not the best thing for my use. But one can dream right.

Last edited:
Hey, you want to make a trip out here and do a complete tear off of sheathing and re-roof of my flat roof garage? It has built in "sky lights" that weren't there 20 years ago!

In October I'll be putting it up on the rack to do some annual maintenance (and some upgrades):
I almost forgot. I got in touch with a local Line-x dealer and will likely be spraying some areas on the truck in October I really like the new body armor style coating they have (far less texture than what they us on truck beds). So my plan right now is to body match the maroon color and spray the entire roof, as well as the rocker panels in that body color matched coating. Then spray the bumpers, steps and fender flares in black. Of course it will be the UV stable coating to avoid fading.

Anybody have any experience with the body armor style line-x? curious how it worked out?

https://linex.com/specialty-automotive
1660163196524.png

Last edited:
I almost forgot. I got in touch with a local Line-x dealer and will likely be spraying some areas on the truck in October I really like the new body armor style coating they have (far less texture than what they us on truck beds). So my plan right now is to body match the maroon color and spray the entire roof, as well as the rocker panels in that body color matched coating. Then spray the bumpers, steps and fender flares in black. Of course it will be the UV stable coating to avoid fading.

Anybody have any experience with the body armor style line-x? curious how it worked out?
I need something to hide the rust on our Jeep

Hey, you want to make a trip out here and do a complete tear off of sheathing and re-roof of my flat roof garage? It has built in "sky lights" that weren't there 20 years ago!
I'd love to but my back is still pissed at me. Thats the first full roof I've done. I've done sheds and porches in the past but that was the first full roof and we pulled 4-6 layers off. That was a lot of work even with my two younger brothers. Next time I think I'd pay someone to tear it off. Install isnt that bad, just pay attention to the prep work. we used this stuff called Shark skin. Its a newer self adhering membrane that bonds to the wood and its nice because it super lightweight compared to good ole tar paper.

I'd love to but my back is still pissed at me. Thats the first full roof I've done. I've done sheds and porches in the past but that was the first full roof and we pulled 4-6 layers off. That was a lot of work even with my two younger brothers. Next time I think I'd pay someone to tear it off. Install isnt that bad, just pay attention to the prep work. we used this stuff called Shark skin. Its a newer self adhering membrane that bonds to the wood and its nice because it super lightweight compared to good ole tar paper.
Where'd you buy it?

Shark skin underlayment

It's only an 11'x24' flat roof with one layer and 1x6 "sheathing".

Back