• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2000 K3500 Gone Mechanical Build

I believe it is the same as sctrailrider's. Same guy built them both. His name is unique diesel. Has lots of parts you can get through him. That is also where I had my pump built and got my injectors from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got all the plumbing ran for the intercooler. Just waiting on the metal and piping to make the intake and also need to weld the flange and pipe together to connect the turbo to the intercooler piping and then we're in business.

I did bleed the fuel system and started it yesterday and had it running for a few minutes as well. As with another member running HS roller rockers, I too noticed a lower rpm idle. Seems to run a little smoother at idle though and also seems to rev much quicker, more like a small gasser than a diesel. We'll see how it does out on the road when I get the turbo all plumbed in.

7u7a8e7a.jpg
2a8yqu5y.jpg
na4eru3y.jpg
y7ehuhuh.jpg
zyjaqy5y.jpg
my6u7u2y.jpg

I believe it is the same as sctrailrider's. Same guy built them both. His name is unique diesel. Has lots of parts you can get through him. That is also where I had my pump built and got my injectors from.

John didn't build mine, he did help with some advice in that area, the only difference might be the turbine wheel, mine had the 10blade in it when I traded it.. other than that your setup is real close to mine... and I am the one that had lower idle rpm's...

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the specs. sctrailrider gave me on the turbo wheel setup he had. Thank's for sharing that sctrailrider!
HX40 Compressor wheel - 60/86 - 49 trim - 6 blade pro - OE Replacement Turbo Compressor Wheel by BAE for Holset HX40 HX40W 60.00mm Inducer - 86.00mm Exducer 6/6 Blade High Performance

Hx35 turbine wheel - 70/60 - 84 trim - 10 blade HP - BAE High Performance Turbine Shaft/Wheel Holset HX35 HX35W HX40 HX40W 70.00mm Inducer 60.00mm Exducer 10 Blade

I am not 100% sure of the specs on mine as John is the one who built it. The compressor wheel sounds like it is the same, or very close to the same. All I know of the exhaust side for sure is that it is a 14cm housing.

Got tired of waiting for the metal to get here to make my intake so I rigged it up to run directly from the turbo to the stock intake. I used a Spectra 3" to 2 1/2" reducer hose meant for the intake side, not the boost side. I made it all the way to 22 psi one time before the boot blew apart. Ran damn good until that point though....
uvuheve6.jpg
e6usuput.jpg
ju4egyte.jpg

Intake fabbed up and set in place to make sure everything fits good. I have all the intercooler plumbing run and clamped together. Just need to drill and tap for intake temp sensor and boost sensor, paint it all and then should be ready for the fine tuning and full throttle runs.
amy6atyt.jpg
emena7up.jpg
5erujesa.jpg
5utuhy2e.jpg
neva5eze.jpg
u5e6yzy5.jpg
ehe8yqe3.jpg
ehe5y7u3.jpg

How's the performance so far?

Haven't had a chance to take it out to see how it does yet. Drove it around for a few days with the blown out boot patched and kept it under 5 psi to keep from blowing it apart again. Finally got the boost gauge port drilled and tapped last night and got the intake and all the intercooler plumbing in place and tightened up. Just held the brakes and gave it some throttle to see if everything was holding and I got it to 8 psi after I was done with everything last night. Going tonight to find a tap for my intake air sensor to get it hooked up. Will take it out tonight or tomorrow and see how it does.

When you get to the oil drain part. If you've got another stock oil drain tube off another engine, use that instead of your cut one. The stock oil drain tube will bolt right up to the Holset w/o modification. You'll want to install the tube on the engine before you place the turbo on the manifold cause it'll be easier w/o the turbo in the way. The only conflict with the Holset in regard to the oil drain tube is that you can't run the stock turbo heat shield that goes over the injectors. I'll bet it can be modified though, if you want one that is...

Factory oil drain tube fit perfectly! Had to twist it a little to get it to slide up to where it mounts on the turbo, but once I did that it went right up and mounted to the turbo with no issues. Thanks for heads up!

You guys are crazy, lol. Love all the work you guys do, I though I was bad, :eek: :rof:

What size compressor wheel did you go with? Turbine A/R? Where did you get the Turbo Master?

Well, after cleaning and further inspection of the "enhanced" aftermarket block, I found several cracks at the outer main bolt holes. This block was supposed to be designed the same as the optimizer blocks with thicker castings, larger main caps and better metallurgy. So either they lied, or even the optimizer blocks are susceptible to main web cracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have pics of the valley or an engine number? Is it a GEP? There are a lot of Chinese made knock off's that are junk, :mad2:

Sorry to hear of the cracked block. They all crack, every cast number, every version. Some less than others. Interesting that the aftermarket blocks are doing it as well. I suspected they would. I've seen GEP/Navistar blocks cracked too. Hence the P400.

This is why any performance engine I mess with will always get Splayed Main Caps. Stock engines always get at least a stud girdle kit.

You've seen a real GEP crack? Any pics?

You guys are crazy, lol. Love all the work you guys do, I though I was bad, :eek: :rof:

What size compressor wheel did you go with? Turbine A/R? Where did you get the Turbo Master?

Do you have pics of the valley or an engine number? Is it a GEP? There are a lot of Chinese made knock off's that are junk, :mad2:

You've seen a real GEP crack? Any pics?

60mm 6 blade compressor wheel and 14 cm(.80ish a/r). John made the turbo master.

No pictures of the valley off hand, I can get some. Is not a GEP and wasn't supposed to be Chinese Knockoff. Was supposed to be cast somewhere in the America's. Been probably 8 years since the block was bought so the exact details aren't fresh in my mind. But we compared it to a factory 6.5 block and the mains were larger and if I remember right it weighed quite a bit more than the factory block (thinking maybe 20-30 lbs, maybe more, heavier?) Again, it was a long time ago so this is all based off of my memory of when we got it and compared it to the original block that came out of the truck we put the aftermarket block in.

And I'll take the crazy comment at a compliment

The truck we put the aftermarket block in was also running 18:1 pistons. We were running a turned up marine db2 pump and stock turbo running in the 18 psi range at max boost but rarely saw anything more than 12-14 psi. A hx40 was swapped on it set at 18 psi after I sold the truck. Hard telling how hard it was beat on by that owner. Got the engine back bc he did a Cummins swap....

Back