• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2000 K3500 Gone Mechanical Build

a4ahate7.jpg

1.6 Harland Sharp roller rockers from Leroy have arrived.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And for those curious, that is my daughter's pink pacifier in the bottom of the picture

Hopefully within the next couple of weeks. I should be getting my new turbo this coming week, will probably do the turbo, rockers and head studs all at the same time. Depending on how long I can go without my truck, I may be installing my intercooler at the same time as well.

Wow, new turbo, roller rockers, and intercooler! Your new turbo is going to be an HX35/40 hybrid, correct? I'll be looking forward to seeing your results, as I'm sure you are.

Matt

Yep. I've had the intercooler for over a year. Bought it for a previous truck but sold it before I put it on....lucky for me. Head studs I have also had for a while. Wasn't planning on buying the rockers but couldn't pass up the deal. It was all meant to be used on the engine I will be building for the truck but I have no idea when I will get around to building it. The new turbo will be running higher boost pressures than what I am seeing now so I figured the head studs would be a good idea to throw on with it. And since I will have the valve covers off, might as well put the rockers on too. And while I'm doing all that, might as well take the time to finally put the intercooler on too right??

And yes hx35/40 hybrid. And I am very anxious to see what it will do.

FYI, to pay for all of this I am selling lots of parts. I have multiple 6.5 complete engines that I am selling everything off of, internals included. So if you need anything, feel free to pm me!

No cruise yet. Never hooked on up on a db2 swap before but from my understanding if I can get the cruise "box" (don't know what it's actually called) and cable off of a gasser or 92/93 6.5 then I can hook it up that way. I plan to have cruise, just haven't looked for and purchased the parts to hook it up and see if it works.

Well, after cleaning and further inspection of the "enhanced" aftermarket block, I found several cracks at the outer main bolt holes. This block was supposed to be designed the same as the optimizer blocks with thicker castings, larger main caps and better metallurgy. So either they lied, or even the optimizer blocks are susceptible to main web cracks.

Sorry to hear of the cracked block. They all crack, every cast number, every version. Some less than others. Interesting that the aftermarket blocks are doing it as well. I suspected they would. I've seen GEP/Navistar blocks cracked too. Hence the P400.

This is why any performance engine I mess with will always get Splayed Main Caps. Stock engines always get at least a stud girdle kit.

I had a stud girdle kit that I planned to put on this engine before putting it in the truck. Oh well. Hoping that either the block in my truck now is good or the block in my other wrecked/donor truck is good. Also decided I will probably be doing the splayed main caps as well. If they are all cracked, I will probably try to determine the "best" one and run it and see how long it lasts... I am hoping one of the three is crack free though, but we'll see soon enough I guess.

On your engine tear-downs consider if you don't come up with a crack-free block that you could use one that perhaps had one small crack on an outside hole. With splayed caps that hole is abandoned and really shouldn't spread. That the primary reason why these splayed caps were developed for the 6.5 anyways was to be used preventative and repair blocks otherwise not useable. With that said, I always prefer to spend the big bucks rebuilding one of these things on something not cracked at all. A lock-n-stitch insert could also be used in the hole to stitch the crack back together, and then install splayed caps (best case scenario with a cracked block).

J

New turbo is on the way! Hope to get that, my head studs, HS roller rockers and my intercooler all installed this weekend. Will post pics once I start the tear down and install process.
hu5yqyty.jpg
duqa3eta.jpg

Christmas came early for you!!! The turbo looks great, and with that wicked IP you have, and the intercooler to keep the charge temps down, it should be amazing. Then top it off with a set of HS roller rockers! Wow, I'm really looking forward to the updates, and results. :thumbsup:

Matt

Back