• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2000 K3500 Gone Mechanical Build

u8y3uqa9.jpg
y8emesa7.jpg
a3u8u3ag.jpg

A few picture of the tear down so far. First picture is the ATT taken off. Next two are of the intake off and the valve cover and old rockers pulled off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uzupe6u3.jpg
uhusajeq.jpg

Had A LOT less time to work on the truck than I had planned this weekend. But I did manage to get the head studs and rockers on today!

I have 1996 6.5 turbo diesel in a 3500 with an 11 foot utility bed. I am going to mount the pmd in one of the tool cabinets. Good idea or not?

Was going to take them off, but decided not to. So head gaskets are whatever were on there before. I had Victor Renz head gaskets I was going to put on, guess they'll just sit in the barn for the next engine for now.

I have 1996 6.5 turbo diesel in a 3500 with an 11 foot utility bed. I am going to mount the pmd in one of the tool cabinets. Good idea or not?

Bad idea. Needs to be somewhere that has good airflow and a good cooler on it to keep it from overheating. Most recommended place is behind the front bumper.

Love the look of those rockers! So when do you expect to have it up, and running? Just noticed your updated signature, and saw the custom upper intake. I'm sure that is adding some time to the build. Looking forward to more pics.:thumbsup:

Matt

Well, that depends on two things. I forgot to order the v band clamp for the intake when I ordered all my other stuff on Sunday and I just ordered it tonight. Hoping it will get here Friday or Saturday. Second thing will be how much of a pain it will be to mount the intercooler. If the part gets here by Saturday and the intercooler doesn't end up being too much of a pain, I am hoping by the end of this coming weekend.

When you get to the oil drain part. If you've got another stock oil drain tube off another engine, use that instead of your cut one. The stock oil drain tube will bolt right up to the Holset w/o modification. You'll want to install the tube on the engine before you place the turbo on the manifold cause it'll be easier w/o the turbo in the way. The only conflict with the Holset in regard to the oil drain tube is that you can't run the stock turbo heat shield that goes over the injectors. I'll bet it can be modified though, if you want one that is...

Spent most of my day figure out the intercooler and finally decided to do what I originally didn't want to do and mount it under the truck. Going to take too much time and modifications to get it up front and I don't have the time to do it all right now as I am going to be needing the truck here soon.
2ehytymu.jpg
9e3azady.jpg
jyru7ude.jpg
5ydu7asa.jpg
e9arahy9.jpg
y9u2yvas.jpg
u8yqy5yt.jpg

Started fabbing up the down pipe adapter as well. Hopefully will be getting that finished up this evening when I steal my brother's welder
8y6emu5u.jpg
epyqyzyt.jpg
araqu3un.jpg
8ymy2usu.jpg
e3azavud.jpg
a5edutah.jpg
7yduzy5a.jpg
emymenyj.jpg
e3ese9u8.jpg
5equ7aqu.jpg

This is the original down pipe flange and the 3" flange I got to weld the 3" 90* pipe to
ababa8a6.jpg

And finally the v band flange and pipe to hook the intercooler to the turbo.
se2uheby.jpg
game8equ.jpg

Ahh the memories!!! About to start on another one soon or should say continue on one.

You did make alot of progress. When I did my Cummins swap I put an intercooler in the same spot but it was bigger and took up the whole width.
I think you may find the IC is going to be a blockage because of its size. You may need to go bigger down the road??? I know on mine it would blow the hose anytime I got on it hard. Make sure all you terminations are flanged so the hoses don't pop off.

Do you have a link where you got your hybrid turbo from? Is it the same specs as sctrailrider's turbo? I cant wait to hear how it works for you when towing heavy. I have the same problem as you, with the 16cm hx40, it doesn't spool hard enough in 4th with the converter locked while towing heavy.

Back