• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1996 Silverado 6.5 Duramax swap

Thanks for the input guys! Does anyone know of a pre-built harness out there somewhere?im not too great with wiring but I can build that. Just being lazy if it's cheap enough to buy it I will
I think an auto salvage yard might be the best place to find a harness. Easy enough to make one too.

Butyl is some good stuff sure enough. We use it at work to put duct work together and it ain’t coming apart without some elbow grease. It’s not tape, it’s a roll of butyl gasket. I haven’t thought about using butyl tape for situations like that. That’s a good idea and it would never leak I bet. The butyl tape is a good idea for anything that would need water proofing.

I think an auto salvage yard might be the best place to find a harness. Easy enough to make one too.
Ya that's what I'll probably have to do. The thread I found with measurements the guy was able to buy an aftermarket harness that was clip in ready to the firewall block. I tried looking but never found one. I guess I'll have to look up car part .com again to get it. My junk yards never get trucks with cab lights.

My burb has them, and I'm seriously considering taking them off, and filling the holes in. I hate water leaks, and they've leaked more than a few times. Not to mention the stock GM ones for these trucks are not that tough to begin with.

My burb has them, and I'm seriously considering taking them off, and filling the holes in. I hate water leaks, and they've leaked more than a few times. Not to mention the stock GM ones for these trucks are not that tough to begin with.
Damn! I was hoping not to hear that. Have you tried replacing them with the aftermarket ones and new gaskets?

I've only done the factory ones. I get about 5-7 years before the lenses start cracking, then they leak shortly there after.

I've only done the factory ones. I get about 5-7 years before the lenses start cracking, then they leak shortly there after.
I guess I should take a look at the lenses/gaskets on my truck. I really have not paid them much attention.
Maybe when I have them off, look inside and see if it is a double wall ceiling. I have an over head rifle rack I would like to install, just do not want to punch any holes through the outside layer of the roof.

They're alright, but I would not add them. The ones on our 08 GMC Topkick leaked when it poured, and it dripped right on my leg. So annoying.

When working for the Mt. DOT, they had a few hundred of the square body and also the topkicks, in just the division I worked in, non of those ever did leak and everyone of them had the cab clearance lights.
the drivers would complain about anythng amiss with any of the trucks.

Good info! From what I saw in the junk yard there is a double wall. Below the clearance lights about 2 inches there is a second shee of metal. But that was a '92 I believe. Don't know if there is a difference between years. Similar to Mr. Marty I actually want to put the factory suburban or Tahoe cargo rack rails on the roof of the crew cab. Cut down obviously. But worried about the supports. I don't want to buckle the roof if it's only single wall sheet metal around the corners

Good info! From what I saw in the junk yard there is a double wall. Below the clearance lights about 2 inches there is a second shee of metal. But that was a '92 I believe. Don't know if there is a difference between years. Similar to Mr. Marty I actually want to put the factory suburban or Tahoe cargo rack rails on the roof of the crew cab. Cut down obviously. But worried about the supports. I don't want to buckle the roof if it's only single wall sheet metal around the corners
Now that is funny, I too have had thoughts of installing a rack from a Suburban or a Blazer on top of Mine roof tooo.
Just wondering about the wind resistance.
I think the rack from a Suburban might have to be cut down some but am not sure about that.

On my 99 suburban k2500 they are super solid! And no noticeable wind resistance. But that's a burban roof if may have extra support in hose areas. Anyone ever cut up and scrapped a gmt400 truck and see the inside? Of completely remove the headliner??

On my 99 suburban k2500 they are super solid! And no noticeable wind resistance. But that's a burban roof if may have extra support in hose areas. Anyone ever cut up and scrapped a gmt400 truck and see the inside? Of completely remove the headliner??
That is something I too would like to know about, what is between the headliner and the roof.

Mail call!! Finally got my federal emissions heater pipe. Turbo hose and heater hose. And 2 different t-case shifter linkages for the nv271. One is for dodge and one is ford. Gotta figure out the shifter issues with clearances.

So I decided to change it up a little bit. Just for my liking. I’ve been looking at the duramax swaps into different things. And pretty much everyone sets the trucks up like factory gmt800. As far as batteries intake and coolant tank. I’m changing mine to more like gmt400. Factory coolant tank on the firewall. Main batt on the passenger side fender and core support. And going to modify my $300 aem cold air intake(stupid I know). But all in all I want my truck to be different then any of the other dmax swaps out there. Even tho I already have the sas and nv271. What do you think? Pics later later today

Back