• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1994 K3500 extended cab dually

Thursday I found the fuel leak - the aneroid was leaking fuel past an o-ring. I couldn’t get it to seal so I just removed the whole Puff Limiter assembly and put a regular DB2 top on it. I also found a leaking injector so I took that apart and honed it. I ran some errands and while I was out I had the truck weighed. This is with a full tank of fuel and me(225 lbs) in it.

C565AA92-41F0-46C5-BFAD-FAB029FFE716.jpeg

Friday I drove to Dinosaur Camp. Unfortunately the dyno didn’t arrive yet so there weren’t any events to participate in. @Rockabillyrat and I just watched the big boys drag race and pull the sled.

Today, @Duvall made it down and the three of us nearly pooped ourselves when The Diesel Doctor handed me the dyno sheet after he ran the truck on his dyno…..:oops:

7114DB1B-285D-48CB-8B24-4D593D42BF53.jpeg81081300-D7F2-4322-A574-B30DD2764493.jpeg

Unfortunately I developed a hot side leak and wasn’t able to build boost well. I made one crappy run down the drag strip with super high EGTs and then decided to hang it up before I hurt something. It’s hard to tell where the leak is, but it’s probably a crack in the header - I’ll remove it and get it patched up. Despite that, today was a good day, especially since I got to spend it hanging out with a couple other 6.5ers. 😎

Yeah, that was holding back some fuel for sure!
I didn’t notice the curve at first- that is a nice climb without sharp peaks.

It’s super gratifying to see the work I put into the fuel delivery system pay off in the end. Now rather than drop to 16psi, my inlet fuel pressure stays at a rock-solid 25psi…..with the same Raptor 100 lift pump.

What a fun weekend! Always great to talk to you in person Nate. I still can't get over those dyno numbers! It was awesome to see your build up close ans watch it lay down the new DB2 (2 plunger) all fuel record 😎. Looks like the next step is 500hp!!

It was great seeing you in person again! I loved what I saw of Johnny Cash…I wish there had been more time to crawl around it some more. It’s gonna be a killer truck when it’s finished, no doubt.

I got the rest of the videos from @Duvall today. As you can see, it’s smokey without the aneroid on it, but it finally starts to clean up towards the end of the pulls. For the single drag run I did, I couldn’t get it to build boost at the line, so it’s a super slow launch…..but once the turbo lit I was able to hang with that Powerstroke. I actually beat him in the 1/8 mile, but we both thought we were racing the 1/4 and he pulled me on the top end. Next year should be much better - the plan is to have Krovvy running with an even better setup than this truck has.

Well my heater hose filter experiment has ended as a failure……. Last weekend while in Ohio, it got down in the 40s in the evening. This was the first time I had driven the truck in the cold and needed heat. I found that there was very little heat coming out of the vents. It would eventually get on the low side of comfortable after it ran for a while, but it definitely wasn’t right. So today I started diagnosing. First I verified that the actuator for the temp door was actually moving when commanded - yep, it was. Ok, so it must be in the plumbing. I disconnected the supply and return lines and back flushed with a hose. Some brown came out (probably stuff the filter caught), but the flow didn’t change. So I reconnected those ends and disconnected the output at the filter to see what that looked like.

Not good. I had a spare filter here, so I installed that.

Still not good. I guess the filter is too restrictive. So I swapped the outlet elbow to the port inline with the inlet.

There it is. So I guess I’ll just be running with it unfiltered for now. I’m not sure what my permanent solution will be, so it’s just going to stay like this for a while.

Run the filter in the hot weather, remove it during the cold season. 🤷‍♂️
Having the filter in there for most of the time would be better than no filter at all, I would think, but man, does that ever hurt. 😵‍💫😹😹😹

Have you looked at the IPR system all the ford 6.0 guys are in love with? Expensive as all get out, but suppose to be great.

Maybe do some diy (make your own) spin on version of it?

Run the filter in the hot weather, remove it during the cold season. 🤷‍♂️
Having the filter in there for most of the time would be better than no filter at all, I would think, but man, does that ever hurt. 😵‍💫😹😹😹

That isn’t a bad idea….some is better than none.

Find out the micron rating and flow rate of that one. Then get on the phone with donaldson tech support...

I couldn’t find any micron or flow info on coolant filters when I was searching, but to your point I also didn’t call Donaldson…..I just poured over online catalogs until I found a filter that would fit this larger base.

probably have to be a much bigger filter to get the flow rate

Yeah, perhaps. I wonder if the filter media they use for coolant just doesn’t flow well. Maybe a filter for a different fluid could work. A call to Donaldson may shed light on that.

Have you looked at the IPR system all the ford 6.0 guys are in love with? Expensive as all get out, but suppose to be great.

Maybe do some diy (make your own) spin on version of it?

I hadn’t seen that before! When I was searching earlier this year, all I found were
little bypass filters. Neat someone makes what I want…..not so neat how pricey it is.

Weren’t you running the clear inline coolant filters? I don’t remember you talking about removing them.

The plastic outer shell started cracking and leaking so I had to remove it not too long after the truck was up and running.

So cutting the top of a filter off, tig up some stainless mesh and a magnet, .... nah.
There has to be a better answer.

Sux about the clear one.

Back