• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1994 K3500 extended cab dually

I imagine there may be some kind of agricultural- grade filter for tractor sprayers? Might only be a mesh steel filter, but should still catch a good deal of buildup

I have that one on my 55 gallon sprayer, I'd think larger ones are out there too
Yeah, something like that has potential, I'd just have to find one with a metal body that could handle the heat of coolant. I had a hard time finding that first inline filter I used because they all had temp ratings that were too low. This gives me good avenue to pursue though, thanks!

I imagine there may be some kind of agricultural- grade filter for tractor sprayers? Might only be a mesh steel filter, but should still catch a good deal of buildup

I have that one on my 55 gallon sprayer, I'd think larger ones are out there too

Your post inspired me. I did some searching and found a bunch of strainer options on McMaster-Carr. I'm thinking something like this could work well.

McMaster-Carr

Try Surplus Center's website. They sell all kings of hydraulic filters and mounts of various sizes, in/out, filtration size and flow rates. You may just find an acceptable filter system fairly cheap there.

Your post inspired me. I did some searching and found a bunch of strainer options on McMaster-Carr. I'm thinking something like this could work well.

McMaster-Carr

This is exactly what I have been working on doing to mine since the Brassworks heater core was installed. I have a 1” SS strainer that I am about to plumb into the line. The mesh should be small enough to catch the majority of the debris I would think

Is -20 ok for your area?

Yeah. I think the coldest I’ve ever seen here is -12, and I’d have to think they’re some level of factor-of-safety built into that number as well

This is exactly what I have been working on doing to mine since the Brassworks heater core was installed. I have a 1” SS strainer that I am about to plumb into the line. The mesh should be small enough to catch the majority of the debris I would think

Got any pictures or details of what you’re doing?

What about plumbing the filter between the pump and by-pass port ? it needs restricted anyway

I like the unconventional thought, but that won't accomplish my goals for a couple reasons: 1. The whole reason for the filter in my case is to keep junk out of the heater core. I had multiple plugged heater cores in the Tahoe and now that I have this expensive Brassworks heater core in this truck, I'd like to do what I can to keep it from getting plugged, so the inlet to the heater core is where I need the filter. 2. I'm running a thermostat crossover with a single stat that blocks the bypass when it's open. Only the late 96+ housings need to have the bypass restricted since they don't block the bypass when the thermostat is open, so the filter would only be filtering when the thermostat is in the closed position (in theory anyway).

Got any pictures or details of what you’re doing?

I haven’t tried fitting it in there yet. It’s in the shed sitting on the shelf. I thought about running the hose to where I can support the strainer from the hard AC line so that it doesn’t put much strain on the hose anywhere. It hasn’t really been at the top of the list because I don’t drive it much anymore unless we are going to the lake or to take the trash off.

Verify it is an actual filter ONLY. Almost all coolant/water filters have tablets inside them that dissolve over time to add chemicals into the coolant. Nitrite is one of the major ones and is really bad for the 6.5. Although the 6.5 burns diesel fuel, the way the cylinder walls get cooling it is effectively a gasoline engine. The 6.5 will cause the nitrite to drop out of suspension and make mud like build up.

Verify it is an actual filter ONLY. Almost all coolant/water filters have tablets inside them that dissolve over time to add chemicals into the coolant. Nitrite is one of the major ones and is really bad for the 6.5. Although the 6.5 burns diesel fuel, the way the cylinder walls get cooling it is effectively a gasoline engine. The 6.5 will cause the nitrite to drop out of suspension and make mud like build up.

Yeah I chose a filter that was just a filter, without additives.

Back