• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1994 K3500 extended cab dually

Last night I got the intercooler pump wired and the system filled with water. It took forever to get the pump to prime, but I finally got it to after pressurizing the system with a pressure tester. The next iteration with a tank in the rear will have a much more favorable plumbing situation and pump placement.

During a parts run tonight I stopped off at a local boat launch for a quick pic.

C155A1A2-3A97-4056-B6D8-AE92D6A9A033.jpeg

Super sharp looking rig Nate! Awesome 🤘

Are those aftermarket headlights? Sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread. Just noticed today the housing on my turn signal is cracked, I'd love to know what replacement/ upgrade you recommend
The headlights are GM replacements. There’s so much conflicting info out there on the interwebs for decent aftermarkert headlights, so I just said screw it and went OEM to hopefully ensure I got good quality. I just need to take care of the lenses to make sure they last. Also lots of info out there on what preserves/restores lenses, so I need to decide what I think will work for that.

The turn signals were some relatively cheap aftermarket ones I bought on Amazon a few years ago for the Tahoe. Not sure what brand now.

Well my heater core filter experiment ended pretty quickly. Yesterday I drove the truck to work to show a buddy and while I was giving an under hood tour I noticed coolant leaking at the filter. Awesome. So I had to remove that filter and install the screw-on filter I’ve been planning on installing in the future once I figured out a flow meter to monitor filter health…..but this forced me to install it early without a flow meter and just using fittings I had on-hand. I did install a small ball valve on the output of the filter base so I could bleed any trapped air and also check if the filter is plugged. I still intend to add a flow meter, but this gets me going for now and keeps junk out of the heater core. This last round there was less junk in the filter so hopefully a good amount of the crap in the system has already been caught.

059F27A6-7160-4158-96B2-B87F197876A2.jpeg

Here are the cracks in the old filter. It’s kind of strange it cracked like that since the plastic wasn’t structural, the brass spine of the filter was…..I guess it just couldn’t stand up to that environment. Luckily it failed close to home.

D18ADB8A-6101-4E95-B217-28824EF85B1E.jpeg30A83439-7B18-4771-BE2A-1F6D280F0AC1.jpeg

While I was messing around in there I routed the jumper cable lead and fastened the disconnect to the air box. You can also see where I routed it to the electrical on the firewall. I need to get some large split loom to put on this lead to protect it from abrasion.

C28611CC-82B6-4A25-A886-7A306EF2D24E.jpeg6148284B-64B8-45C9-8466-A7D3AFEC3A12.jpeg

I went to change the oil and found the oil cooler lines were too close to the filter. MAN I hate the filter location on a 4x4 6.5!! I was going to relocate it when I was doing everything else, but at that point I decided to not spend the time and money on it….I think I’ll end up doing it this winter. So I started working on moving the hoses slightly. Earlier this year I had left the plastic piece that goes behind the bumper out by accident and when I realized it, it was going to be a bit of effort to install it, so I just left it out…..well now I had to move the oil cooler lines around so I just unhooked them from the cooler and started trying to install the plastic piece. With the intercooler in place it was tough getting it to fit, so I ended up loosening the bumper from the mounts so I could install it. I’m going to have to slightly move the trans cooler lines to accommodate this piece while I’m moving the oil cooler lines, but it will be worth it in the end just to make sure the bumper snorkels are functioning properly.

Nate your making me cry..😢....our rigs are identical (except yours is extended cab,mines crew cab...) But damn your rig is in so much better shape😭.....she is sharp man .!!! Wife is sitting her scoweling at me saying "no your not spending money to make yours that pretty"..she's no fun.
Honestly I haven't found any lens restorer that worked.. what did those mirrors come off of( or ment for) I want a set

What is the filter particle size rating? I looked back and didn't see it.

(Edit)
I saw in another thread that its a filter for coolant.

Usually when I see a filter on the coolant side of things its a screen like the little one you had, but with a bowl type body. If you know what I mean. Paper media might slow your flow down too much. I guess you will see for sure when it gets colder.

I certainly understand keeping the crap out of the heater core. I have had to deal with plugged heater cores a few times. Did you replace it because of a leak?

When is the maiden voyage with the camper in tow?

Last edited:
Nate your making me cry..😢....our rigs are identical (except yours is extended cab,mines crew cab...) But damn your rig is in so much better shape😭.....she is sharp man .!!! Wife is sitting her scoweling at me saying "no your not spending money to make yours that pretty"..she's no fun.
Honestly I haven't found any lens restorer that worked.. what did those mirrors come off of( or ment for) I want a set

Thanks Stoney! To be honest, I think that picture was very flattering for the truck. I still haven’t given the truck a good bath yet so it’s pretty dull looking in a lot of spots. I suspect even after cleaning the paint is going to be a bit rough, but that’s ok with me because then I won’t be afraid to use the truck as a truck. It’s important to me that the truck doesn’t have rust, but perfect paint is not a priority. I do like how the truck is styled though, I think it looks pretty tough and that’s exactly what I was going for.

The mirrors are from Boost Auto Parts. They’re a copy of newer GM mirrors (2014-ish?), but made to install on a GMT400. They’re nice, I’m happy with them, but they’re also expensive. I think you get what you pay for though and the other nice thing about this brand is you can get replacement parts for the mirrors, which you can’t do for other aftermarket mirrors.

What is the filter particle size rating? I looked back and didn't see it.

(Edit)
I saw in another thread that its a filter for coolant.

Usually when I see a filter on the coolant side of things its a screen like the little one you had, but with a bowl type body. If you know what I mean. Paper media might slow your flow down too much. I guess you will see for sure when it gets colder.

I certainly understand keeping the crap out of the heater core. I have had to deal with plugged heater cores a few times. Did you replace it because of a leak?

When is the maiden voyage with the camper in tow?

Earlier I started a thread to investigate the flow of coolant through the heater core.

I couldn’t find any flow data on the coolant filter and because they’re typically used in a bypass filtering situation and not full flow of the heater line I was concerned that the filter might be too much of a restriction. I am looking for a flow meter to put in the heater hose so I can get a baseline for flow data and then see if the filter changes the flow. And then I will leave the flow meter installed because I want to be able to monitor the health of the filter so I can change it before it gets to a point where it’s hindering heat in the cab. Unfortunately the screen filter cracking forced my hand before I could get a flow meter figured out, but I still intend to add one.

That bowl filter you’re describing sounds like a sediment filter like what I see on tractor fuel lines. Interesting idea.

I replaced the heater core proactively since I had everything apart. A lot easier to do it then since it isn’t covered by a dash board.

Maiden voyage is June 18th! It’s coming up quick. The first trip is only 50 miles away, so not a whole lot of risk, but still everything’s still pretty new and fresh so it makes me a little nervous.

Nice. Where did you get the extensions from?
Took me a while to find where I bought them from. I got them off Amazon, but I remember shopping around a few different places before I ended up buying them there. I was hoping to find some extenders that were all black to go with the color theme of the truck, but ended up settling for these. I may end up painting the non-black bits later, but didn't have time right now. I figured lining them up with the brassy bowtie made them kind of blend in. Amazon.com: Wheel Masters 8003 2 Ply Rubber Hub Mount - 4 Hose Kit for 16"- 19.5" Wheels: Automotive

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I now am curious.
The straight extensions has a shrader valve that presses onto the tire inflation shrader valve so that when inflating the tire it depresses both shrader valves. With these having twisty bends and such, does the shrader valve next to the wheel need to be removed before installing these extensions ?

I now am curious.
The straight extensions has a shrader valve that presses onto the tire inflation shrader valve so that when inflating the tire it depresses both shrader valves. With these having twisty bends and such, does the shrader valve next to the wheel need to be removed before installing these extensions ?

The end of the hose that threads on to the existing valve stem depresses the shrader valve in the valve stem, so the flexible tube is always exposed to the air inside the tire. If that makes sense...... I can't come up with the words to explain it well and their installation instructions aren't that much more helpful.

#8001.qxp (wheelmasters.com)

Back