• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1993 34' RV with 4L80E transmissions issues

bigjerel

Reaction score
So this is completely confusing me. I start it up and the thing runs perfectly...hits all gears, OD works...everything shifts just like from the factory. After about 20 minutes it just loses its mind. When I stop at a light, it wants to try and start in second gear. If you kinda goose the pedal, it will usually drop into first and start rolling as it should. Then the other day, once it started acting up, it decided to only shift into second gear...nothing else. I was able to make it home, and as soon as it cooled down and I tried it again, it worked fine for awhile and then started doing the same thing. I went ahead and dropped the pan, replaced the filter and fluid, and when I put everything back together again it wouldn't even shift into gear. I had to drain out 4 qts, then add 1 qt at a time and shif through all the gears and finally after getting the 3rd one back in I was shifting in gear again. Ran good for a couple of days and then back to the same old thing. I bought 2 new speed sensors this evening and changed both of them out, but when I pulled them, no fluid leaked out. Coach is sitting on a small decline and hopefully this is why now fluid came out. I cleaned both of the connectors and the main connector with the screw in it was covered in tranny fluid so it go a healthy dose of brake parts cleaner as well. Letting it dry overnight and will try again tomorrow. Anthing else I should be checking on this thing? Really hard to believe it is something other than electrical when it works fine for a half hour or so and then starts getting goofy. Thanks for any suggestions.

She works until the computer detects a slipping component and goes into limp mode. Looks like 2nd gear in your case for limp mode. Check the computer for slipping codes. If you have a wiring problem the computer will say what wires are an issue via a code. Likely it is slipping under warm/hot load and triggering the limp. The cure for that is a rebuild esp sleaving the TCC solenoid.

Also need more info for year and what engien and such to help you much more. From teh sounds of it your going into limp mode which could be too many differrent things to list without knowing what it is and if any codes are present.

Also need more info for year and what engien and such to help you much more. From teh sounds of it your going into limp mode which could be too many differrent things to list without knowing what it is and if any codes are present.

It is a 1993 with 454. It's an RV made by Rockwood who of course has gone out of business. How do I check the codes on this one? I have a scanner but OBDII will not work on something this old. I see lots of posts on checking codes, but not sure A. How to do it and B. how to read what I get. Fluid wasn't too bad when I changed it...no smell and 63K on the motor/tranny. I took it to a couple of shops around here and all anyone wants to do is replace the tranny and nobody has even hooked a scanner up. I'm pretty handy and have already dropped the pan once so easy enough to do it again. When I swapped out both input and output sensors last night, I cleaned both of the connectors thoroughly and also cleaned out the main connector which was saturated with tranny fluid.

For a 93 you will need a paper clip to check codes, or something else to short the 2 test terminals. When you short the A & B terminals, the check engine light will flash out any codes present in the system. So if your check engine light is working, checking teh codes won't be that hard at all.

Heres 2 sites I found. The first one shows the test port and which ones to short to activate the test mode, and how to do it. The second one is a pretty complete gasser code list.

http://www.troublecodes.net/GM/
http://www.gmtuners.com/OBD1_DTC.htm

Awesome! I'll get on that one tomorrow and see what I can find. Those are great sites...thanks!

For a 93 you will need a paper clip to check codes, or something else to short the 2 test terminals. When you short the A & B terminals, the check engine light will flash out any codes present in the system. So if your check engine light is working, checking teh codes won't be that hard at all.

Heres 2 sites I found. The first one shows the test port and which ones to short to activate the test mode, and how to do it. The second one is a pretty complete gasser code list.

http://www.troublecodes.net/GM/
http://www.gmtuners.com/OBD1_DTC.htm

The 1993 will not throw any service engine soon lights for transmission problems. Stores codes only. Has to be emmisions related to turn the light on.

Back