• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1989 Mustang LX 302 To 351W Swap

Did some more work on the car this past weekend. Picked up the used Anderson Powerpipe made for the Bullet style MAF's, which I obviously don't have. However the price I paid we will make it work.

Pulled the belt to remove the alternator:
6QXPz4F.jpg

Polished up the Powerpipe best I could, its no show piece:
L4IzWaa.jpg

Had some old edge bead leftover from putting Bushwacker Flares on the JKU, worked perfect for this:
sxwfFS6.jpg

Got the Pro M in the fender and attached, remainder mocked up. Dont mind the dog chewed elbow as I am getting a new one as well as a piece to span where the MAF "should" go:
1UVFXj4.jpg

Old BBK intake plate I had. Does anyoone know if they make an actual "block off" plate for this?:
ybBqtU2.jpg

Well tank removal didn't happen as I was sick all weekend.

I think I am going to hold off on getting the Derale PWM fan controller. I think this will be on next winters wish list. I'm getting near my money cap for this season now that I need to purchase some items for the re-tune.

For now I will wire the fan up just as I did before however have both high and low options via Volvo relay with a temporary 3 position switch hidden under the dash for future removal. I also chopped off some MAF 4-wire pigtails from a 94' Lincoln Town Car and a Early 90's Ford Taurus. The clip was broke on one however I managed to make a longer pigtail on the other. So a little wire swap and I will have the best of both worlds. Also picked up a mid 90's s-10 relay bracket. Need to do some clean up and testing on the relay prior to install.
oi6dA4K.jpg

I will have to return to the junkyard and pull another Mercury Cougar or Ford Contour fan harness as I chopped some off mine to install just 1 high speed temporarily 2 years ago. Will also need to pick up a battery tray hold down. The metal piece broke off the bottom of my tray.

Got my MAF harness extended, took my time and did 4 very good solder connections with shrink wrap and dielectric silicone. Shouldn't have any issues:
bAHuGOT.jpg

And the intake assembled:
EFDZKvb.jpg

Working on mounting the Volvo relay to the Courgar fan shroud. This weekend I will be going to the JY to get a new fan harness as I clipped the other one to use high speed only.

Began stripping the old loom and electrical tape off the new Mercury Cougar wiring harness. Realized I forgot to grab the Fan resistor (goes in the little orifice in the fan shroud). Will have to pick one or two up. Its for the low speed setting that will now work with the 2 speed volvo relay.
JXiEk99.jpg

Finally wired up my fans (temporarily again). Wiring isn't my best but will get me by. Luckily most of it will be hidden, still need to get a few wire loom push pins going across the top. Using all junkyard parts to get me by for another year. Next winter I will purchase a stand alone PWM fan controller.

oEngZNV.jpg

Everything is connected via OEM type plugs. So if I have to remove the fan assembly it will be easy. Just need to bench test my wiring, dry fit into the car, run the wires and then move on to the fuel pump swap. We ended up getting another 4'' of fresh new snow overnight. Sucks.

Last edited:
Spent a couple hours on the car yesterday. Ran the wiring under the hood and just need to connect everything in the cabin. I was going to utilize the old 3-pod pillar unit I removed from the car several years ago as I HATED it. Looking closer; definitely not going to re-use this pile. Check out the wire nuts and 10 extra miles of wire from the P.O.
ihGeSn3.jpg

Installed a Bosh relay in a previously utilized hole (not a fan of self tapping into clean bodies). I tried to tuck it down in the corner for hiding. It will be triggered by a keyed power source.
L2cYdW6.jpg

People who have ridden in a fox know how small they are. Much easier to pull the drivers seat out to gain access under the dash to run wires:
TXjitw7.jpg

Also tried scrubbing the water stains out of my seat. Much better but still needs help. I need to be careful scrubbing as these seats are beginning to deteriorate due to age.
RQwyrdh.jpg

I am going to temporarily not mount the gauge and leave it wedged in the passenger seat for viewing/tuning. My plan is to get a new face plate for the stereo where I can mount the 2 gauges underneath. Only gauge pods I really care for are the exterior cowl mount ones. Of course my cowl is smashed form my hood incident so that isn't an option right now. I am worried about RF interference if I install this thing next to the radio. It is highly recommended widebands are on their own dedicated circuit.

Got the wideband successfully installed and calibrated. I am working on getting all the programming downloaded to my laptop for tuning. Need to get a serial to usb adapter (new Lenovo travel computer doesn't have old school ports). Tuning will be done on Binary Editor with Moates hardware. Apparently per Moates there is an order of operations as to what software you must install first. Its a bit of a pain! Supplementary applications, Logworks for the Wideband, updated firmware, installation of binary editor, more firmware updates etc.

For now I installed the wideband O2 on the drivers side OEM bung locale. I think I will eventually get the 3rd bung welded in but my OEM O2's are disabled due to the tune.
AOAz5j1.jpg

Got some new flexible radiator hose to connect the new overflow bottle to the radiator.
FhbxtxE.jpg

Working on my home-made battery hold down. Due to the 351w swap it needed extensive trimming. My car is also missing the bottom extruded u-nut and bolt.
Vv2lBv5.jpg

Got my wideband to communicate (after some trial and error) to the Logworks program on my computer. However for some reason the gauge reads a bit off from Logworks. I think my scales or something are off on Logworks.
PCoHJeG.jpg

Uc5Q0hk.jpg

Id be interested to know how your tuning experiences go.

I have Moats Quarter Horse, but I had someone else do the tuning. They have recently closed up and I will be doing my own if I decide to do anything with the car again.

Looks like a fun project.

Thanks! There have been updates since this both good and bad but I haven't had a chance to get the pictures uploaded to imgur. Its a hell of a learning process that is very hard starting where I did. If you had a solid tune to build from it would be MUCH easier. I almost converted to SCT and had someone tune it but the Moates system was better built for your individual user to tune at home.

I have had bad experiences with the SCT software and hardware. Not on my personal projects , but friends with later Mustangs. I wouldn't even consider switching to their stuff. The last I heard their customer support was pretty poor too.

The tuner I used had not tuned with QuarterHorse before and he really like it on my car so much that he was going to use it on the Foxbody stuff from then on out. That was 8 years ago.

Be sure to update when you have time. I love reading Foxbody stories.

Finally had some down time at lunch today to update this and my other generic life thread.

I have been continuing with the mustang, dialing stuff in, doing little odd jobs with it, etc. I did receive the quarterhorse chip and went through the process to mate it to my A9S computer:
N2pwGEp.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------

You must clean up the J3 port in order to accept:
rlZvXz0.jpg

Finally after some butt puckering and bending capacitors out of the way on a 1989 computer it fits:
VUsAMx4.jpg

So we get the computer put back together and installed in the car. I literally start it and not 20 seconds after I see a flush of white smoke from under the hood. Quickly I shut the car off to find this:
Y5FcpI8.jpg

Yep... Heater core just blew.

For now I am bypassing the system, this winter we will put a new heater core in:
TdYjDIC.jpg

I ordered a elbow to close the circuit back up. This project abruptly stalled again due to my frustration and welcoming my daughter into this world. Hopefully this coming weekend we can make some more progress.

Last edited:
Back