• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1987 6.2 diesel rebuild

dieselolds

Reaction score
Hey guys.I mentioned this in the 6.5 section but just figured I’d put this build info in the right place.Basically I have a 87 6.2 diesel with about 400,000KM on it that I decided to rebuild recently and have as a spare engine.I ran this engine for a few years in my 96 Chevy K1500 and I have to say it’s one of the best engines I’ve owned.It was definitely dependable and reliable the whole time.

It did suffer some hard starting issues in very cold weather but once up and running it was a great runner.This engine was pulled from a 87 Scottsdale 2wd 1/2 ton pickup.So back in 2010 when I removed this engine from the Scottsdale I had plans for it to be installed in my 96 Chevy that had the 4.3 vortec engine.

Before putting it in the 96 Chevy I decided to put new rod/main bearings in it for peace of mind with new oil pump and viton 2 piece rear oil seal.I also installed a new oil pan,oil pump driveshaft with Bosch glow plugs and new old stock 4153 injection pump with Delphi injectors.Before putting the oil pan on I installed a DSG stud girdle kit for peace of mind.So after doing all that it ran beautifully but just suffered hard starting problems which I blamed on leaky valves,low compression,etc.

So in its place in the 96 Chevy I put a 99 6.5 goodwrench engine in it with an unknown history.I painted it with red engine enamel,put new injectors,glow plugs and oil pump in it and I did not see any web cracks in it with the oil pan off.It runs very well but again it could fail tomorrow and blow to pieces.

A few weeks ago I decided to get the 6.2 gone through.It’s ready for pickup at the machine shop at this point but the machinist is waiting on the bearings to arrive.It’s crack free in the webs after a magnafux check,etc.Right now it’s been bored oversize for .75mm federal mogul pistons,align honed with arp main studs in place,decked,cam bearings in place with new expansion plug kit.I also have two reman 6.5 60 degree heads I want to put upon it that I bought from
ADF diesel in Quebec,Canada.

I also had the connecting rods fitted with new bolts from Leroy diesel with clevite bushings.The crank needed machining according to the machinist but now has a clean bill of health.I plan to use a new clevite camshaft,nos ford lifters made in 1994 with a 6.5 timing chain set with reluctor in case I need to use it in my 96 gmc that’s DS4 equipped.My 96 Chevy has the mechanical DB2 5088 so I have two 96 trucks.

I’ll post pictures of everything when I get things back from the shop.

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of how it looked before I sent it off to the shop a few weeks back.Also are pictures of some parts I plan to use within it with some decals I had made to install upon the valve covers once it’s all painted and assembled.More pictures and details on the way when I pick up the block,etc.

You’ve all seen this type of thing before but I like posting pictures and info for those that are interested.It’ll be just a basic rebuild with nothing fancy really but it’s still something I have a great interest in doing.Thanks for looking👍

Attachments

• IMG_7216.jpeg
    IMG_7216.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7215.jpeg
    IMG_7215.jpeg
    17.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7214.jpeg
    IMG_7214.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7213.jpeg
    IMG_7213.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 18
If you grind it i highly recommend having it heat treated. These 6.2 and 6.5 cranks have a thin hardness layer. GM cheaped out and used cast cranks instead of forged as called for by Detroit Diesel when they designed them.
Don't take my word for it, do some research. Please.

Your definitely right about GM taking the cheap way out.That was always their way of doing things.

Even the rocker arm setup was made cheaper in 1985.I always liked the older 82-84 rocker setup.

I don't think anyone is saying they're not surfaced hardened, just how deep the hardening goes and whether or not it's safe to do at least some grinding on them. From everything I've read about nitriding it's mainly done to promote bearing longevity. Most say it doesn't really affect the structure (strength), some even argue that it would make it weaker by having the surface harder than the core metal. Lot's of opinions out there not much real fact. We don't really see bearing issues other than cams

I don't think anyone is saying they're not surfaced hardened, just how deep the hardening goes and whether or not it's safe to do at least some grinding on them. From everything I've read about nitriding it's mainly done to promote bearing longevity. Most say it doesn't really affect the structure (strength), some even argue that it would make it weaker by having the surface harder than the core metal. Lot's of opinions out there not much real fact. We don't really see bearing issues other than cams
When I started dismantling the engine for the rebuild I didn’t see any scoring on the journals when I removed the crankshaft.It looked pretty decent for the amount of miles put upon it.Maybe the journals were tapered or out of round slightly.

I should be able to pick up the castings soon from the shop.I’m also rebuilding a 1981 5.7 olds diesel as well.I dropped off the connecting rods to that same shop to have new bushings and arp rod bolts put into place.

Last edited:
This morning I purchased a set of clevite rod bolt sleeves to protect the crankshaft journals on reassembly.Total cost was $20 from Amazon.

Attachments

• IMG_7241.jpeg
    IMG_7241.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 2
This morning I purchased a set of clevite rod bolt sleeves to protect the crankshaft journals on reassembly.Total cost was $20 from Amazon.
I have some thin wall plastic hose that has worked well on the 3/8ths rod bolts.
I thought if I was doing a rebuild on an engine with larger diameter rod bolts I’d spiral cut the plastic tube so it could expand but still leave no area of bare bolt that could scar the cranking shaft.
Working at the DOT and the shop super put me to doing overhaul on several Chevy van engines and transmissions. Engines was 350 V8s.
There was a night service man that had taken a jealous streak against me, He was pissed that I had an Electra glide Harley, amongst other things. At the time I did not realize He had such a hatred towards me.
One day on reassembling the engine, set the crankshaft into the block, bearings had already been plastigauged and crank had been removed to ensure it was clean after being polished. Setting the main caps in place and rotated the crankshaft. Across on of the rod journals someone had taken the electronic scribing device and marred across the one journal. 🤬 showed that to th shop super, he showed it to the field chief but no one ever claimed responsibility.
Shop super had me dress it with a file, some crocus cloth, clean it up and put it together. That engine had over 80,000 on the rebuild then it went to Helena for the equipment auction.

I have some thin wall plastic hose that has worked well on the 3/8ths rod bolts.
I thought if I was doing a rebuild on an engine with larger diameter rod bolts I’d spiral cut the plastic tube so it could expand but still leave no area of bare bolt that could scar the cranking shaft.
Working at the DOT and the shop super put me to doing overhaul on several Chevy van engines and transmissions. Engines was 350 V8s.
There was a night service man that had taken a jealous streak against me, He was pissed that I had an Electra glide Harley, amongst other things. At the time I did not realize He had such a hatred towards me.
One day on reassembling the engine, set the crankshaft into the block, bearings had already been plastigauged and crank had been removed to ensure it was clean after being polished. Setting the main caps in place and rotated the crankshaft. Across on of the rod journals someone had taken the electronic scribing device and marred across the one journal. 🤬 showed that to th shop super, he showed it to the field chief but no one ever claimed responsibility.
Shop super had me dress it with a file, some crocus cloth, clean it up and put it together. That engine had over 80,000 on the rebuild then it went to Helena for the equipment auction.
I could have probably found something a little cheaper but I just decided to get the clevite product anyway.

Nothing worse when someone has hatred against you.I’ve had a few people that’ve shown their true colours towards me.People like that I just stay away from nowadays.

I could have probably found something a little cheaper but I just decided to get the clevite product anyway.

Nothing worse when someone has hatred against you.I’ve had a few people that’ve shown their true colours towards me.People like that I just stay away from nowadays.
Always nice to have some new tools.

Especially people that smile, laugh and joke around with the ones they hold the grudge against.
I had no idea that this guy held one drop of animosity towards Me.
After that incident I then realized which person it was, I quit speaking to him unless he had a question pertaining to the Dept; then the answers was short and not necessarily sweet.
I think he finally figured out that I knew it was him.
Several years ago, went to a retirement picnic. He had retired several years previous but He too was there. He didnt know where he was. His wife was having a rough time with keeping him calmed down. He shuffled around and accidentally dropped his plate, close to where I was setting. I picked up his plate, used my napkin and picked up the spilled food, told Her to go and get him sat down and I’d bring him a fresh plate of food.
Seeing his condition I had to have compassion towards Him and do what I could do to help Him. It was done with that feeling of forgiveness and a sort of love towards Him.
It was sad to see Him in such a condition, and even sadder to see how his wife was about in tears.

Yesterday the machinist called to say the 6.2 bearings arrived so now it’s ready for pickup at the shop.They also installed the new sealed power bushings and arp rod bolts in my 5.7 diesel connecting rods.The big end of the rods were slightly out of round so they lightly honed them to bring them back into specification.

More updates and pictures to come soon.

You haven't mentioned rings. If you haven't looked into a gapless 2nd ring set now is the time. Results in my thread below. Reminder it may be...

Last edited:
I’m just using the sealed power piston rings.I’ve used gapless before on my 5.7 diesel with pretty good results.I’m just sticking with a sealed power conventional set on both of my engines.

Thanks though for mentioning it.

I was going to send the rings off to total seal to have them machined but just figured what I have is good enough I suppose.I actually have two .030 ring sets for the olds since each ring set was found at a pretty good price so I bought both brands.I did mention sealed power in my last post but I also have Hastings.

Back