• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1983 Chevy K10Water in Fuel Sensor

JWRP

Reaction score
I am having trouble finding a replacement part for a Water in Fuel(WIF) sensor which attaches to the sending unit. Does anyone have a solution? If I cannot find one, I will have to use the old WIF sensor and and attach it to the new sending unit. The old WIF sensor might not be working but I need something to close the connection to the wiring.

Welcome to the forum. for the WIF sensor, it should be located on the bottom of the FFM housing located at the rear of the intake on the engine. not sure if the sensor is available seperatly or you would have to get the complete housing. it has a fuel heater in there also. others will chime in soon with more info than I have. I eliminated my FFM and went with a firewall mounted filter that has a clear bowl. never installed a WIF sensor in it, just left the harness unplugged for it.

CC5063CD-B3D8-401D-9FB0-63AE5A740926.jpeg
Welcome to the forum. for the WIF sensor, it should be located on the bottom of the FFM housing located at the rear of the intake on the engine. not sure if the sensor is available seperatly or you would have to get the complete housing. it has a fuel heater in there also. others will chime in soon with more info than I have. I eliminated my FFM and went with a firewall mounted filter that has a clear bowl. never installed a WIF sensor in it, just left the harness unplugged for it.

Welcome and sorry new guy- JWRP those haven’t been available for a few years now.

@dbrannon79 GM eliminated the wif inside the tank. They were quite troublesome and labor intensive under warranty.
He does not have an ffm. He has a huge cube filter that has tremendous air intrusion issues also. Thats why when gm moved the wif, they eliminated that filter set up also.

Napa has a good selection of the connectors to plug in a new set leading to wherever you want to mount a new wif.

Welcome and sorry new guy- JWRP those haven’t been available for a few years now.

@dbrannon79 GM eliminated the wif inside the tank. They were quite troublesome and labor intensive under warranty.
He does not have an ffm. He has a huge cube filter that has tremendous air intrusion issues also. Thats why when gm moved the wif, they eliminated that filter set up also.

Napa has a good selection of the connectors to plug in a new set leading to wherever you want to mount a new wif.
If I remember right from the 1989, it's pretty easy to upgrade to the 6.5 fuel system, FFM and such.
Maybe the 1989 was an easier upgrade.

It helps to have a donor

The combo unit @dbrannon79 shows is good, however is 10 microns. You need to go 5 microns for this rig. So if you can get a different filter to that spec, or use a secondary filter afterwards- then ok.

If a person has a dead donor truck, yea things move over easily. Otherwise buy a separate unit and just run some new lines.
No way would I pay for a brand new gm ffm- just my opinion.

Well, the newer diesel screw on filter set up yes. 5 micron minimum- but price depending. And check replacement filter cost and availability.

I had ran that 10 micron filter for a while and then later replaced it with a 2 micron filter. I'm not sure what the thread pitch is on the bowl though. I can't seem to find a "universal" WIF sensor on amazon to screw into that port. maybe if someone knows which one will work, it might be a decent alternative for others to use.

the only caviot with my setup is that I live in Texas where the winters here don't get cold enough to need that fuel heater. for others further north, that might not be a good option!

I may actually have 2 of them . If I'm not mistaken , that third tube is for a water drain in the early models . There was a petcock right in the front of the rear spring hanger on both sides if you had dual tanks . They also had two filters , primary and secondary . One on the firewall and another on the back of the intake manifold . Both were spinons . The heater was a large tube in the line from the fuel pump and laid in the valley under the intake manifold . The vans were a little different . The filter on the back of the intake looks like the regular rectangular truck filter but is maybe 3/4 the size . If I were doing another filter swap , I'd be looking at the Duramax as that has a lift pump in it .

Yes the one on the early 80s vans was called the model 75 with two bailing wires keeping the filter in place.I have one of those here as well that I bought new from eBay along with the two bailing wires.It’s a nice little setup and can be adapted to almost any diesel powered truck or car.

Thanks for your help. I spent many hours looking for a replacement WIF Sensor. I decided to just put the old sensors in for now. I’ll probably look at inline WIF systems.

I may actually have 2 of them . If I'm not mistaken , that third tube is for a water drain in the early models . There was a petcock right in the front of the rear spring hanger on both sides if you had dual tanks . They also had two filters , primary and secondary . One on the firewall and another on the back of the intake manifold . Both were spinons . The heater was a large tube in the line from the fuel pump and laid in the valley under the intake manifold . The vans were a little different . The filter on the back of the intake looks like the regular rectangular truck filter but is maybe 3/4 the size . If I were doing another filter swap , I'd be looking at the Duramax as that has a lift pump in it .
Thanks, I’ll have to stay on top of checking the fuel water separators

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
@JWRP one of the guys here is selling a fuel filter setup that might help you. it can be mounter between the lift pump and the tank or under the hood. just thought of you when I saw it.

@JWRP one of the guys here is selling a fuel filter setup that might help you. it can be mounter between the lift pump and the tank or under the hood. just thought of you when I saw it.

Might have to look at it the micron rating when installing a prefilter

Back