• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1982 k30, sticking around

Stands for electronic variable orifice , it's the wires on the back of the power steering pump ,it was such an issue GM made a delete kit. I have one I need to install on mine.

Stands for electronic variable orifice , it's the wires on the back of the power steering pump ,it was such an issue GM made a delete kit. I have one I need to install on mine.
I will check that out and find an elimination kit if it has not already been done. Thank You AK.
Okay, back to The regularly scheduled sticking around thread. LOL

Drove the truck home last week and it stalled out, determined it was a fuel starvation issue. Pulled the fuel line off at the 1st filter inlet, and not a drop of fuel (tank is setup as a sump draw). Turns out the fitting at the bottom of the tank was acting like a initial filter, had plugged up with gunk/rust from the tank. So pulled the 90, drained the 15 gallons from the tank, cleaned the fitting/reinstalled, then filtered the fuel and all was good. Drove the truck to the lot today and pulled that fitting again (along with filtering the fuel again before it went back into the tank). Had a little more gunk but not much so think that's taken care of now.

But, there was a problem that developed. I accidentally broke the mount that the first fuel filter uses, kinda sucks because that's the fancy looking water separator. Still planning to run 2 filters so have an idea. Picking up another canister filter setup from a old deuce and a half and will run it as the first filter. It's a water separator, and makes it where my stuff uses the same fuel filters so it's easier to have a supply of spare filters on hand.

Ordered up the new 6" oval tail lights for the rear of the bed and some amber ones to use as front turn signals, along with a new brake light switch (old one failed).

After taking most of the summer off I'm gettin around to workin on the wrecker again. Drove it out to the lot and along the way it felt like it was running out of fuel so disconnected the fuel line from the tank and yet it, it was getting plugged up. So rather than sending that old tank out to get cleaned decided to get a 20 gallon fuel cell instead. Placed the tank in a few spots, picturing ideas. Figure having the tank pushed forward to 1" from the cab with the fuel filler at the rear is what will happen. Leaves enough room behind the tank for a 5" wide storage box and enough room for 37"s. There's also room on the outside, the legs stick out the same distance as the outermost edge of the cab.

812_1_969.jpg20190819_170504.jpg20190819_170524.jpg20190819_170531.jpg20190819_171250.jpg

The smaller tank opens up the possibility of going to single rear wheels which would drop future tire costs big time. According to some info from Holmes the wrecker bed assembly weighs 1500 lbs, plus the weight of the tools at another 500ish lbs. Going off that and the weight specs for this year truck, should be about 4000-4500 lbs on the front axle and about 4500 lbs on the rear axle. Better balanced front/rear than I figured assuming those weight claims are accurate.

Tank looks like it was made to fit.

It really feels like it, fits perfect.

Rigged up a 3" exhaust down pipe and figured out the exhaust routing which was complicated by the PTO stuff. Exhaust will cross over to the driver side after the tcase into the 4" muffler there. Have some aluminum tubing for the turbo-intake manifold plumbing to test fit this weekend. Fittings for the fuel system should be here next week as well.

Quick trip from Utah to Texas. Dropped off the crew cab at the lake property. Currently there is no road access so unloaded the truck on the pavement then took the dirt trail that runs behind my property. Knocked a few branches outta the way, run over a bunch of cactus, and it's there haha.

That suspension is way too soft right now, plus the axle is sitting too far forward for the stock steering to handle it. Barely able to turn left.

20200411_114659.jpg20200411_114719.jpg

Whats the mosquito population like over on the Texas property ?

It's actually not bad, certainly had way more gnats than mosquitoes so far but no extremes yet. There are wild deer that regularly roam across the property (will do a thread on the property).

Truck went for it's first test drive since the intake tubing was plumbed up. Starts instantly, runs well, and now that the turbo wastegate actuator is secured better it seems to spool alright, maybe a bit too slow but it's only been a short drive. Suspension is very soft, too soft to take a turn at speed haha.

The idea of selling the truck has crossed my mind alot since I have the house construction/land work that needs to be the focus for awhile. Plus the toy hauler requires removing the wrecker assembly to be able to tow it. So if I keep the truck, will require that change plus about 6,000-10,000 to finish it the way I want (paint and trans being the biggest expenses).

Back