• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1982 k30, sticking around

I like the looks of that, the hammered paint seems to be some pretty good stuff, and, no priming required. I used that stuff on the camper rebuild project, in black, and also used the dark bronze on the snowplow I built and it also was a match for the front bumper/hitch job I just finished the other day.

If you want the truck or any parts from it let me know. If it sits here long enough I might get a wild hair up my ass and turn it into the rock crawler/winter beater haha.

If you figure out how to get it to Oklahoma in a reasonable fashion I would take the whole rig if it has a good title and not butchered on wiring or rotted out.

If you figure out how to get it to Oklahoma in a reasonable fashion I would take the whole rig if it has a good title and not butchered on wiring or rotted out.

It has rust in every body panel besides the hood, which is bent. Haven't looked closely at the cab but wouldn't be surprised. I bought the truck because of the bed haha.

Time to start putting everything together finally!

IMG_20181123_153608566.jpg

Fit wasn't too difficult. Will have to remove the original GM mounts from the chassis (going with the Isuzu mounts) and make new ones a few inches further forward. Which also gives enough room for the starter to stay in the stock location, and allows the use of the dual oil filter setup (regular and bypass).

IMG_20181123_183251391.jpgIMG_20181123_183251391.jpg

IMG_20181123_183300226.jpg

IMG_20181123_183318576.jpg

This little guy arrived as well. Original Isuzu NPR air cleaner assembly.

IMG_20181123_185209768.jpg

Well didn't quite work out how I wanted. To get the engine down where I want it to be required removing the engine crossmember completely, and had to rotate the starter. The dual oil filter setup is all set and I'll build the new crossmember in the next day or 2. Have to do the suspension lift soon since the oil pan and front diff are close. Will clear if the axle moves straight up but if flexed out with the passenger side up it could hit the pan right now.

IMG_20181124_163817858.jpgIMG_20181124_172934499.jpgIMG_20181124_163817858.jpgIMG_20181124_172934499.jpg

After the pics I got the driveshafts, starter, parking brake cable, fuel lines, and the air lines for the front bags all hooked up. So all remaining work is just in the engine bay. The new 3 gallon reservoir and Isuzu power steering pump arrived over the weekend as well.

Things that are left:
-Paint the rest of the front clip pieces
-Engine crossmember welded together and bolted on
-Wiring harness and glowplug harness (staying with manual on that)
-Plumb in heater core and coolant filter
-Plumb in external transmission filter and rest of system
-Install new power steering pump
-Plumb hydroboost system with new tank/filter/pump
-Rebuild the injectors
-Exhaust
-Air intake
-Mount and plumb intercooler
-Turbo oil lines
-Install new electric vacuum pump and find a way to make the transmission controller work with the new engine
-Throttle linkage
-Engine shutdown

Got around to doing some more to the truck today. Mostly paint prep for the engine bay stuff and building the new engine crossmember. Drill it's holes tomorrow to secure it to the underside of the frame and setup the engine mounts. Moving the mounts so they sit vertically instead of angled at 45 degrees.

New front spring hangers are painted as well. Don't have all the parts for the suspension lift but these mounts replace the bracket for the core support.

Mounted the cover for the cowl (filter? cover? whatever the hell it is haha). That grey color is what the bed/front bumper will be painted as well. Matches the planned seats as well.

IMG_20181130_171025348.jpgIMG_20181130_180036338.jpgIMG_20181130_180040992.jpgIMG_20181130_180051237.jpg

Not much of a visual change but the worst of this project is now complete. Engine crossmember is secured and the new engine mounts are complete (painted after the pics).

The new front leaf spring hangers are attached as well. Need the suspension lift for the axle to comfortably clear the engine oil pan and it's much easier to install these mounts before the core support goes back into place. Swaybar is now removed.

IMG_20181207_173350012.jpgIMG_20181207_173405641.jpgIMG_20181207_175621424.jpg

Core support is painted, really difficult trying to paint in the cold so not going to paint the rest of the engine bay body panels until the spring. Primer was easy but the paint is just, wow haha. The next goal is the injectors and the oil lines for the turbo. Core support install, along with lots of plumbing.

Link here for maybe a future reference or just an idea. Guy installed a Eaton 10 speed into a 4x4 pickup with pretty decent pictures.
https://mopar1973man.com/cummins/ar...ton_roadranger_10_speed_swap_onto_59_cummins/

A ways off from even beginning a trans swap and very much undecided as to exactly which one to go with haha.

Looking more like a truck once again.

IMG_20181215_173936749.jpgIMG_20181215_173936749.jpg

Installed the injectors followed by the oil feed line for the hx35 turbo. Haven't setup the oil drain hose for the turbo yet. Setup all the plumbing on the engine for the cooling system. Spent some time cleaning up the ouside of the radiator where stuff had gotten stuck between the radiator and AC condenser. Need to take it to a car wash for a better cleaning and to get the last of the green antifreeze out of it.

Routing and wrapping the new wiring harness (well 1 year old new) took most of the time today.

IMG_20181215_173946131.jpg

Once I pick up some things to tie up the wiring harness/plumbing it will look more organized. With the exception of the driver side airbag hose and the turbo oil feed line, all the plumbing is getting routed along the passenger side. So for now ignore the mess of vacuum and transmission hoses that are draped all over the engine.

IMG_20181215_174007584.jpg

Wires for the engine are being routed along 2 paths. Starter wires are going under the column directly to the starter which keeps it away from the exhaust. The sensor, injection pump, AC compressor, and alternator wires will run along the valve cover.

Fittings fittings fittings, lots of plumbing stuff needed. Ordering up the parts to plumb in the :
-transmission cooler in the radiator and a external filter
-new fittings for what used to be the engine oil cooler in the radiator (Isuzu 4bd has a built in cooler)
-coolant filter

Need to order up some silicone hoses to plumb in the cooling system (heater, filter, radiator), and dropping off the radiator for testing/cleaning next week.

Also test fit the new power steering reservoir and where both the power steering and coolant filters will be mounted. Downside is it kicks the passenger side battery out of the engine bay and will require it to be remote mounted if I stick with the dual battery setup

Pulled the service bed. Have a friend that will be painting the truck as his project for the spring semester at the university. Figured get the bed out of his way so the rear of the cab can be painted. Means the truck project will be on hold for a few months. There's really not a hell of a lot left to do with the engine swap project besides plumbing and connecting the wiring.

Radiator was dropped off today, couple leaks to deal with.

IMG_20190104_163149731_HDR.jpgIMG_20190104_165602095_HDR.jpg

New urethane bushings installed in the replacement front leaf springs today. Springs are 1900 lb rated rear 56" from a mid 80's 3/4 ton. Also removed the bottom overload leaf. Should net 3-4" of lift along with a much smoother ride and more axle articulation. Some people have mentioned that rears springs up front can cause issues when driving around town because of how soft they are, but with the airbags up front they should provide the extra firmness when on the pavement and air them down when offroad to soften them up.

Mag drill chewed through the rubber fairly quick, then cut a slot in the outer sleeve followed by pounding the sleeve out with a hammer/chisel. Hardest part was removing the remains of the inner sleeve out of the annular cutter on the drill hahaha. 1 7/16" cutter that's 3" deep.

IMG_20190105_131212225.jpgIMG_20190105_160949684.jpgIMG_20190105_161000109.jpg

Paint shop got delayed (my wallet is happy about that haha) so aiming to get this driving again by April.

Waiting for a few more parts to arrive this week before any big progress happens. New gear drive power steering pump is installed with no fuss, clears the frame and front crossmember easily. The pump supply line attaches to the bottom and the outlet faces into the passenger side frame rail but there is plenty of room to feed the pressurized hose either under the engine or along the backside of the front crossmember then up to the brake booster. Return hoses will flow along the front crossmember up to the filter and back to the tank. Been considering using the factory engine oil cooler (in the radiator) as a cooler for the power steering fluid. The Isuzu has it's own built in oil cooler.

Radiator ended up needing new tanks on both sides which kinda sucks but it's fixed and now it's mounted back in the truck. All fluid filters are on the way and the plan is to order the hoses soon for the coolant, power steering, and transmission.

Another thing to add to the list, driveshafts are too short now.

Finally got to install the new shackles today. At full droop the shackles are vertical so I'd rather not move the new shackle hangers, but as can be seen in the pic the springs are hitting the frame before the springs reach full compression (flat).

Springs moved the axle forward about 1.5-2". The center slot in the airbag mount was centered over the leaf spring pin. Which is a good thing with tire/body clearance.

Wired up the starter which, note to self, at replacement time drop the starter before dealing with the big cable (hard to reach spot)

Went ahead and attached the fenderwell loose, once it dries off it'll be snugged down and the buss bars mounted again.

In the third picture, what year and make are the trucks in the background. The brown one Looks close to my 37 dodge

Whys it haftta beee so far way ? I could use up almost that entire cab and its components on My 78 K20.
I`ll call dibs on the heater control if it aint vacuum. Delay wipers to if its gottum, unless they is in the TS stalk.

Started the partout of the 1980 1 ton donor. Let me know if you're still interested in parts from it

Making headway. Weather permitting I'm planning to finish up the wiring this weekend.

I knew the front axle would be pushed forward with the 56" springs mounted up front, might be more than 2" further forward haha

And it's looking very much like a truck once again. It sits almost level front/rear now.

Spent part of the day drilling/enlarging holes in the truck sheetmetal in preparation to secure the wiring/plumbing in the engine bay. Didn't realize my nutsert tool was lacking the right bit size so have to wait until wednesday ish before that arrives. Most of the day went towards pulling sold parts off of the blue donor truck and plans for the wrecker bed since I'm probably about 2 months out from starting that project. Couple closer pics of the bed and it's rust issues. A few through spots in the exterior sheet metal, main parts of the bed are surface only. I knew about the underside rust when I bought the truck.

Back