• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1982 k30, sticking around

red

stubborn Texan displaced to Utah
Thread starter #183
Ah. For now yes it's exposed. Eventually will make it better protected and more refined.

Fired up the Isuzu again today with the oil fill cap removed. Dumped out smoke through the exhaust again which confirms the injector issue. Nothing noticeable coming out through the oil fill so I'm going to stick with saying that it was misdiagnosed before with blowby issues. So going to order up the adapter, injectors, and start getting ready for the engine swap.

red

Thread starter #184
Nice surprise today. New injector tips from the manufacturer are only $34 each. Ordered those along with new rubber Isuzu engine mounts.

Getting about time to mount the engine accessories and all that good stuff. Isuzu has a gear driven power steering pump available for these engines that I was wanting to use but it doesn't move the same volume as the one in these trucks which have hydroboost. Both make about 1400psi just more flow from the pump GM used. Engine accessories will be the GM power steering pump, 12v alt, and the AC compressor that came with the engine.

red

Thread starter #185
Going to be about 2-3 weeks before the engine adapter should get here which gives some time to work on other things. Spent today greasing the drivetrain/front axle along with any other grease zerks. Rotated the tires again, typical stuff like that. Looks like I'll get about 30-35k miles out of these tires which I'm alright with. Just over $100 each for mud terrain tires that have given great traction offroad and good road manners, works well for me.

While greasing up the front end started inspecting things and noticed that the driver side bump stop bracket is bent. Nothing else has made contact but the front springs are in dire need of replacement. Planning to do the suspension lift kit after the engine swap but in the meantime I'm considering taking the helper airbags that were on the rear springs and mounting them up front. It's an Airlift 5000 setup, each bag is rated for a max of 2500 lbs. The factory bumpstop brackets will need to be removed but looks like that might be it. Maybe the swaybar as well but that is coming off anyways.

Once the service stuff was done decided to make some progress on the wiring. Found a good spot on the frame at the front of the bed for the junction box. Used 2 holes that were already drilled to mount it. Provides a cleaner way to wire up the tail lights, bumper mounted trailer plug, and gooseneck plug. Same box that is used on trailers. Ran the new tail light wiring alongside the old wires and installed the bulkhead fitting on the bed as well. Junction box is making it easy to take my time with the rear wiring to make sure the new stuff is right.

IMG_20181018_142748608.jpg IMG_20181018_142921980.jpg

red

Thread starter #186
Not gonna lie, getting the brackets modified/repainted/mounted took a hell of a lot longer than I had planned today. Installed but not plumbed in yet. Worst case scenario if these don't help then I'll pull them out. It's not meant to replace the bumpstops, this idea is to give a better ride and raise the front end to where there is roughly even up/down travel of the suspension available. Unlike the current setup with basically all down travel and nothing up.

First pic is with the front of the truck airborne as just a measurement reference. Driver side has been riding at 3/4" off the bump stop, passenger side at about 1 1/2" so it's been nearly bottomed out at ride height for awhile. The airbags collapse to a minimum of just under 3" at full compression so I aimed to set the mounts where the bags would have 1 extra inch of compression left at the point where the bumpstops would usually make contact.

Left the swaybar attached. Had to raise the lower airbag mount up 1 1/2" to clear the drag link, and move out 1" away from the frame. The upper bracket just had to be flipped upside down to give the bag enough room. And yes, the upper bracket is bent. Dunno what the BLM hauled with this truck but it certainly wasn't lightweight haha.

IMG_20180916_192047364.jpg IMG_20181021_171034241.jpg IMG_20181021_171052868.jpg