• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1982 k30, sticking around

I just grabbed random pic to show that all filler necks have the secondary tube with it. This is where your other line should connect, back at the point of connection for the main line.

Without it any tank fills too fast it can come out. Plus just driving around the fuel slosh will do it too.

View attachment 53636
My tank doesn't have the 1/2" hose barb for that.

Either way though I'm not going to drill a hope in the tank to add that. Anymore fuel tank mods will be done with a combo of 5.56 and 7.62 haha

The vent hose- which is spilling onthe ground- that hose should connect to the filler neck. No new holes wanted.

Can't, wrong vent hose. This truck had a 5/16" vent line coming off of the tank pickup assemblies. 3 fittings on the pickup: 3/8" supply, 1/4" return, and a 5/16" vent (verified those when the suburban tank was installed). The only other fitting on the suburban tank is the 1 1/2" filler neck (that has now been cut). There is no 1/2" hose barb anywhere on the tank or pickup assembly (weird yes). And with the latest setup it didn't even try to burp fuel out of the filler or the vent.

No more mods to the suburban tank period. Either it cooperates for good, or it's being introduced to a few mag dumps and I'll deal with having a fuel tank at the front of the bed.

The vent hose- which is spilling onthe ground- that hose should connect to the filler neck. No new holes wanted.

IMO you have both a venting AND a filler connection to the tank problem. Specifically on the filler is there a pipe sticking into the tank or did you just weld the pipe flush to the top if the tank (Aka OOPS!) ? That extension is there in part to keep air from attempting to vent back up the big fill pipe. Yeah, we want the air to be traveling out the smaller vent line not the fill pipe because the fill pipe can be 100% blocked with fuel. Your setup is allowing the compressed air from filling up to travel back up the main fill pipe bringing fuel with it.

You are both missing a big detail here for the automatic fill nozzles. It's NOT burping. I mean it's compressing the air that's left in the tank so it pushes fuel back out - the vent should be venting the compressed air before it pushes fuel back out. This is different than just burping air to add the last 2 gal top off : it's compressed air overcoming the fuel flow in the main fill pipe Barfing fuel out at any fuel level.

I would consider when and why the vent is getting fuel in it. If the fuel can't be cleared before pressure builds up compressed air will attempt to escape out the main fill hose. Clearing the vent pushes fuel into the main filler. The TransferFlow aux tank I had would fill the main tank through the vent line. You had to wait for the vent line to clear of fuel before attempting a fill up otherwise the clogged with fuel vent line would cause the barfing condition.

Shooting the tank to add vent holes may help. Please video this in case it provides any entertainment.... :woot:

IMO you have both a venting AND a filler connection to the tank problem. Specifically on the filler is there a pipe sticking into the tank or did you just weld the pipe flush to the top if the tank (Aka OOPS!) ? That extension is there in part to keep air from attempting to vent back up the big fill pipe. Yeah, we want the air to be traveling out the smaller vent line not the fill pipe because the fill pipe can be 100% blocked with fuel. Your setup is allowing the compressed air from filling up to travel back up the main fill pipe bringing fuel with it.

You are both missing a big detail here for the automatic fill nozzles. It's NOT burping. I mean it's compressing the air that's left in the tank so it pushes fuel back out - the vent should be venting the compressed air before it pushes fuel back out. This is different than just burping air to add the last 2 gal top off : it's compressed air overcoming the fuel flow in the main fill pipe Barfing fuel out at any fuel level.

I would consider when and why the vent is getting fuel in it. If the fuel can't be cleared before pressure builds up compressed air will attempt to escape out the main fill hose. Clearing the vent pushes fuel into the main filler. The TransferFlow aux tank I had would fill the main tank through the vent line. You had to wait for the vent line to clear of fuel before attempting a fill up otherwise the clogged with fuel vent line would cause the barfing condition.

Shooting the tank to add vent holes may help. Please video this in case it provides any entertainment.... :woot:

Didn't weld anything to the tank. Only mod to the tank was to remove most of that 1 1/2" piece of tubing when the filler neck was cut, make it a nearly vertical setup. That is the only mod done to the tank itself.

Yes your definition in the second paragraph is it (what I've been calling burping). Tank could have been damn near empty with less than 10 gallons in it. Go to the fuel station, insert the nozzle, flip the lever and immediately burp it straight out. Tank was never pressurized and has had new hoses since it was installed. The old factory tanks did it as well just not as badly. The ONLY time it has not done it, is with the latest setup with the hole through the bed and the pump nozzle sticking almost into the tank.

Oh if the tank burps again there will be video of it's 'new vents' hahaha

BaggerBum;n1239633 said:
Hay Herd!

Josh, enjoy your time off, it is precious.
Welcome Casey, go on over to the new members section and introduce yourself...we love bike pics.
Mike have a great vacation. I promised Patty a week at the beach just as soon as she feels up to it, maybe mid September.
Bob - sounds like a great show! Carry on, wayward son...
Marty, my birthday is coming up soon....hint, hint :)
I'm with you Frank, live tunes anytime.

Was just out cutting grass, been growing for 3 weeks. All the rain, I can' get out to mow. Got 3/4 done with the first pass and the sky's opened up, again. The tractor is sinking in the lawn. My youngest grand boy is over for the day, I see an hour of Nintendo play, then a nap. This is the first Saturday in about 6 weeks I pretty much have to myself, work tending to Patty does not count. I've come to re-learn that slaving over her needs is my life pleasure.

Tonight, I may rub a coat of wax son the old Deuce. I need to get her a battery and put some miles on it before we run out of summer.
I found that PTO unit, not sure of the size of the output shaft. Appears to be a fairly light unit, made of aluminum housing. If You`d like I could postal it to You. I think it`d fit easily on one of those 18 dollar priority boxes.

Had a good time doing some offroading in Moab last weekend. Took the crew cab on some of the easier trails, then rode shotgun with a friend for some of the more difficult trails that the crew cab could not do.

IMG_20180908_093016523_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180908_093028936.jpg

Today went ahead and made the first trip to get rid of some scrap metal once again. With the old wooden flatbed it weighed in at 6700 lbs according to the scrap yard's scale. This trip was with a pretty lightweight tandem axle trailer attached to the truck so guessing the trailer weighs between 2-3k pounds, which would put the crew cab with service bed/tools somewhere in the 8000-9000 lb range now. It has been a noticeable drop in power/fuel economy.

IMG_20180910_195649675.jpg

Took long enough for me to get around to installing it but the bed winch is now mounted. Don't need the fairlead on this bed since the bed sides (even after they get cut) will be taller than the winch. Gonna look into moving the solenoid box to a spot out of the bed where it will be easily accessible. After I initially cut the hole I noticed that the front of the bed was not centered. Little more cutting and some work with the portapower to shift the bed and that's fixed. Pic is from before, no after pic currently.

IMG_20180914_173307438_HDR.jpg

Running some of that 3x5x5/16" angle iron to serve as the mount for the bed and winch. Welded to those, bolted to the frame. Waiting until the new bit comes in for the mag drill so I can finish drilling those frame mounting holes (through the angle iron). While waiting for those went ahead and removed the air tank. While in Moab the tank developed a leak in the bottom of it (rust) so will have to go with a different air tank.

IMG_20180916_192103681_HDR.jpg

Doing some test fitting and design layout at the front of the bed today. Can't find a hydraulic tank that will fit well enough under the front of the bed so considering placing it on the opposite side of the air tanks. Came to that realization after these pics were taken and decided to move the 3 tanks over to the driver side. The winch solenoid is going onto either the top or front of the box where it will be accessible from outside the bed.

Going with 3 tanks since the 2 that were on the flatbed just wasn't enough capacity with the current little electric compressor. Won't be as much of an issue when the other compressor gets plumbed in.

IMG_20180921_190047611_HDR.jpgIMG_20180921_190102896.jpgIMG_20180921_190413614.jpgIMG_20180922_125308348_HDR.jpg

When you plumb it in good extras are: finned copper lines to cool the air. Water seperating unit. drain at each tank.

Biggest lines possible that connect the tanks. Speed of air flow through tanks helps tools work better.

What are you using for compressor unit?

Right now? A tiny little Viar 88p compressor. I have 2 engine driven compressors sitting here that I can go with. One is a spare from my old m35a2 that is a dual piston rated for about 8cfm with a nearly 8" pulley. The other is this 4 piston guy that came with the service bed

IMG_20180507_153322689.jpg

Basically I bought a compressor and got a service bed with it hahaha. That thing was bolted to the engine of the truck that this bed came from, which took up alot of the engine bay.

I'm thinking of mounting the big compressor on the bed and drive it with a small hydraulic motor (truck has a PTO waiting to be installed for driving a hydraulic pump).

HAHAHA! Holy compressor-o-saurus batman!

Pto would be convenient. But engine driven is easier and more efficient. But to fit that under a hood you might need 4” body lift!

When your done I want to see you blow something up wih it!!

yea that compressor is huge for in the engine bay haha. It will have to be remote mounted and driven off the PTO system in my truck.

Speaking of service beds, picked this up today for cheap. Yes too small of a trailer for it (strong enough just tiny) but local haul and the planned trailer was occupied. Bed is 11ft long so will be going onto a trailer chassis but has a few benefits, mainly that it's large enough for all my tools. Which will lighten up the pickup and remove the need for a service bed on it.

IMG_20180930_110336614.jpg

Been fighting a cold this last week so haven't been that active. Made some progress today though with the air system after getting most of my tools out of the truck's service bed. Need to order up some more fittings for the other 2 tanks to get everything taken care of. Planned plumbing is:
1 typical QD per side of the truck (so 2 total). At the top/front of the bed.
1 inlet for the small electric Viar pump.
1 inlet for a belt driven pump.
1 outlet to be plumbed into the suspension helper bags later.
1 outlet to the trailer.
All 3 tanks tied together at the bottom, and run out to a 1/4 turn ball valve to make for an easily reached drain.

IMG_20181005_161904348_HDR.jpgIMG_20181005_161914993_HDR.jpg

yea that compressor is huge for in the engine bay haha. It will have to be remote mounted and driven off the PTO system in my truck.

Speaking of service beds, picked this up today for cheap. Yes too small of a trailer for it (strong enough just tiny) but local haul and the planned trailer was occupied. Bed is 11ft long so will be going onto a trailer chassis but has a few benefits, mainly that it's large enough for all my tools. Which will lighten up the pickup and remove the need for a service bed on it.
Nice find.

Thanks. It will be nice having the vast majority of tools off the truck again and all in one area.

Good progress today. Started off by mounting up the bed winch solenoid to it's permanent home. Easily accessed when needed. The plastic housing has certainly seen better days yet it keeps on working haha.

IMG_20181009_111801044.jpg

IMG_20181009_101931674.jpg

Spent the new few hours cleaning up things at the lot to gain access to the rear of the storage trailer (leftover scrap metal and random lumber). Dragged the Isuzu 4bd1t out of the trailer and brought it into the shop. Hasn't been started in about 3 years if I remember right from the previous owner. Rigged up a battery, remote starter, jumped the glow plugs, and primed the fuel system (hand pump didn't work so filled the fuel filter). Cranked it over twice at about 15 seconds each before plumbing in/priming the fuel system. Cycled the glow plugs for 10 seconds, bumped the remote starter while holding the throttle at nearly wide open and....

IMG_20181009_202507606.jpg

IMG_20181009_202517786.jpg

Fired right up within a few seconds of cranking. The exhaust (black) smoked me out of the shop actually hahaha. Later starts resulted in no smoke out of the exhaust. When I traded for the engine I was told that it had blowby issues. With about 1 minute of total run time so far I haven't seen any smoke out of the breather yet, will remove the oil fill cap on the next test run to check there.

Have to keep my hand on the throttle, it's bringing the RPM's down too far and won't idle. Runs good at above estimated idle RPM but right around where idle should be it gets a bit rough and has a slight miss till it stalls out. Thinking most likely an injector problem.

Back