• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1952 Ferguson TO30

This weekend I moved a lot more dirt, removed the railroad ties and got the power restored to the barn. That’s a huge relief - I was afraid something would break and I wouldn’t have a shop to fix it in.

7F5B6744-53DD-4708-B861-A3F8C616BE31.jpegFB46F7C2-476B-4042-9023-13AD8DCFEF95.jpegC49CD9FF-336B-41D5-99E2-C4756708DD80.jpegD8066FDA-5062-4BD6-9EF3-A8418F75B63D.jpegB50FE27F-9CDC-4D4A-AD91-DDBFB9451DF8.jpeg44D7C5F2-AB09-42C6-9958-7981D24B4E4E.jpeg52F74761-4925-40A9-8BA7-4EFFD1A4A2F9.jpeg4B48FD91-0561-4ADD-8580-D49F05E4D5EC.jpeg

I would say get 2 sets of plugs. Put the first set in and do the water spray bottle trick (like wmi) and get rid of all the oil and carbon out of it. Not often but occasionally if there is enough garbage in there it can take out a plug. Then you will have a couple more spares plugs on hand incase it just keeps fouling them.

Then we all know in 2 years you will ‘repair’ (read as =full restoration) that thing.

Or a bad champion problem ? ? ? ?

I would say get 2 sets of plugs. Put the first set in and do the water spray bottle trick (like wmi) and get rid of all the oil and carbon out of it. Not often but occasionally if there is enough garbage in there it can take out a plug. Then you will have a couple more spares plugs on hand incase it just keeps fouling them.

This thing has a huge appetite for oil - I'm burning almost a quart an hour. I think it's just time to do an in-frame rebuild on it.

Because I didn't cruise through all the new/added to threads on the Forum until this afternoon. Cruised through this one and saw you finally attacked the retaining walls, but NOT with the shed steer!

Because I didn't cruise through all the new/added to threads on the Forum until this afternoon. Cruised through this one and saw you finally attacked the retaining walls, but NOT with the shed steer!
SHED steer? Is that a stinger or what?!? Starts out saying skid steer then takes it to a whole new level...

No progress in the yard for a couple days because the tractor has been down.

I was leaving trails of hydraulic fluid while I was moving things last weekend, and then after I parked it in the barn there was a puddle of hydraulic fluid underneath the pump that runs off the crank in the front. I cleaned up the tag on the pump and found the brand and model.

pump1.jpg

No info, the pump is too old. I found some threads online of people with the same loader (Wagner WM-3) and also inquiring about pump parts, but found that there wasn't really any info. Finally I stumbled on a thread where a guy said he fixed the leak himself, though he didn't say which pump he had (Wagner apparently sourced a few different pumps for this loader). He said he used a square o-ring that came with a Napa fuel filter to replace the seal in the pump. Hmmmm..... I'm not sure I want to buy a $22 filter just to get an o-ring, but it did inspire me to just take the thing apart and see what I could see. I didn't take any great pictures of this except for the ones I took of the seal for dimensions.

pump2.jpgpump3.jpgpump4.jpgpump5.jpg

I looked on McMaster-Carr for something similar. First I looked for a mechanical shaft seal, but they didn't have anything with both a 1" OD and for use with a 5/8" shaft, so I switched to searching for a square o-ring to replace just the worn out rubber part. I could match the ID and OD well, but the closest I could get to the .174" thickness was .134". Probably close enough, so I ordered it in both Buna-N and Silicone. I got the pump back together using the Buna-N. I stacked 2 o-rings on top of each other because there was room in the pump and the pump shaft had a little wear on it so that would get the seal on some virgin shaft. I fired it up and cycled the bucket a few times and no leaks so far.....we'll see what happens after I put it to work.

After that, I decided to see if I could lessen the oil consumption/smoking problem. I had ordered some new valve seals and a valve cover gasket, because replacing the seals would be a quick job. Unfortunately, I found a problem larger than seals, but it did explain the #4 excessive consumption, so I guess that's good.

When I popped the valve cover off, I noticed a ring dangling on the #4 intake rocker. Strange. I removed the rocker set and then looked things over some more and that's when I noticed that the #4 intake valve spring retainer looked strange.

retainer1.jpg

Here's what the #3 intake valve spring retainer looks like.

retainer2.jpg

I looked at the parts manual and figured it out.

retainer3.jpgretainer4.jpg

The #4 intake valve spring retainer had broken and all that was holding the valve up was the oil guard underneath what was left of the retainer. And this had pinched the valve seal, which was why I was getting more oil in that cylinder. I got in touch with the place that got me the oil pump and they think they have a retainer, but they haven't found it yet. I'm hoping they find one so I can get some more work done this weekend. In the meantime, I replaced the seals on cylinders 1 and 2 and have 3 and 4 disassembled. If the tractor place can't find a retainer, I may try welding a flange on this broken one to get me by....not sure. I sure wish I had a lathe because it's a pretty simple part and I'm sure I could just make a replacement.

retainer5.jpg

Here's the video I took to explain to them the odd part failure I saw. It helps to explain things.

And yet, even with the busted intake valve spring retainer, it still ran!

For a long-term fix, have you thought of putting a different (new) hydraulic pump on it, Nate? Surplus Center is THE place for everything hydraulic and with all the different brands they carry I'm pretty sure you could find something that not only would fit, but have the right flow and pressure, too.

For a long-term fix, have you thought of putting a different (new) hydraulic pump on it, Nate? Surplus Center is THE place for everything hydraulic and with all the different brands they carry I'm pretty sure you could find something that not only would fit, but have the right flow and pressure, too.
Yep, I definitely have thought that direction, in fact I looked at Surplus Center’s site when I was figuring out my course of action. I saw a couple contenders on there that had a decent price, but I didn’t pull the trigger. Once I’m done with this dirt project and can take more time, I’ll do some more looking on the site and see if one makes sense.

So what is your referral fee for Surplus Center up to now? Are they matching what you get for Speedway??? 😆😉

I was able to get a whole head from the guy an hour away from me. Kinda rusty, but the retainer was ok after hitting it with the wire wheel.

63A20159-DAEA-48E4-9369-42FB1FD40072.jpegD18B24D4-E490-4C93-B212-5D5758838732.jpeg001E3F65-84A2-4EEC-8548-34D7821C7ECA.jpeg

Unfortunately, the oil consumption isn’t really any better than it was before, so I guess it’s just time for a rebuild.

I got quite a bit more dirt moved today. It’s close to being ready to make it a slope.

DCEBDF4D-6C8E-4AE8-AC74-11066C9DA844.jpegFF15D222-1C9F-45CB-9880-E91AAF7B27AE.jpeg7780C840-E0FB-464D-AEDC-C28A1B95B5FE.jpeg

Back