• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

10.5 14 bolt: found rollers and cage fragments

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,

The oil looked a little dark on the 95 K2500HD, so I dropped the cover, and found some shrapnel.

For anyone that has been in one, what do you think that is from?

The weird thing is, the rear end is quiet as can be with no noises, even in corners.

It does not have the G80.

I assume it needs taken off the road till it can be fixed?

Attachments

• 100_5073.JPG
    100_5073.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 15
x2 Gotta go into it far enough to diagnose which bearing(s) failed. Might well already have worn ring/pinion as deflection is certain to cause in time.

Bearing rollers & bearing cage remains. Gotta be from either the pinion bearings or carrier bearings. I'd pull axles, then pinion & carrier to see what's what.

Looks to me like the 3rd pinion bearing as the rollers don't look tapered, but instead cylindrical. All the other bearings are tapered, and wouldn't lay out flat like that. Problem will be if it chewed up the end of the pinion when it did it if thats what it is. Good thing is, thats an easy diff to go through.

what do you guys like using for bearings on rear end rebuilds? I assume GM would be a crapshoot on suppliers, and its best to get all Timken from Rockauto.com?

I guess the silver lining is the ABS light has been on since I got it, and the front bearings were sounding a little dry, so I guess I will be redoing them too and wont be risking the front bearings out in Wyoming. Oh, and the bellhousing crack and the bad 3rd synchro... Yep, gonna be in the shop for 2 years.... :)

I've had good luck with Timkens. If it needs ring & pinion, I went with AAM on TheFermanator's suggestion. They're the OEM gear & their grind seems to run quieter. Imagine that's to meet OEM expectations. Don't know if cheaper gears give up much durability, but some are definitely noisier than others.

In my thread "Truck Makeover" I posted a pic or two of the pinion idler bearing that was coming apart. I could see it with the rear cover off.

I found a pic of one I've been into that shows a bit of the bearing that supports the end of the pinion. Look to the right of ring gear & bit below center - can see the lower quarter of IMG_0905.JPG that bearing & rollers in end view.

so in everyone's opinion, do you think the magnet kept everything safe and I should be OK only replacing the bad bearing, or do you think I need to OH the whole thing?

The "I can read part numbers in the oil!" has gone through everything. IMO I would find a local shop with an experienced mechanic that can tell if a diff is "set up right" by feel. Otherwise get a good complete diff out of a junkyard. 4 Wheel disc time?

A diff locking up at 65 MPH, well, some RAM trucks were recalled for that excitement...

I am out in Idaho now, land of plentiful junkyards. now might be a good time to find a 3.42 or a 3.73 to screw around with. I am OCD about original components, so I will be rebuilding the original, but might run a different ratio axle for experimentation sake.

@WarWagon, that will not only be a no, but a heck no on the 4 wheel discs. :) Discs have a proper place, and the proper place is on the front end, never the back. :) The thing I hate most about the 06 is the 4 wheel discs, entirely from a parking brake holding ability, stopping ability is fine, but IMO not enough gain there to override the crappiness of the parking brake. what I do with the rigs, I sometimes idle in winter while I sleep, and I want to know I have a good enough brake to hold a 20K plus combo still without any doubt.

Maybe if a guy rebuilds everything and never drives down a gravel road or a winter road with salt for the rest of the trucks life, the 4 wheel discs might be OK.

So, I hate automatics and 4 wheel disc brakes. I am the opposite of most people. :)

As far as the rebuild kit, it appears most come without the outer wheel bearings, but I can order those seperate. The one on Rockauto says right in the description it comes with timkens, so that is good and I will likely go with that based on that info.

My parking brake worked fine on my 06 at 300k. It rarely saw a day with out a gravel road. Original rear pads were worn at 250k, front pads were still 25%.

If you get an allison, it has a MASSIVE parking pawl setup in it. So who's really worried about a parking brake. But the newer rear ends do have a good size parking brake setup in them for a disc brake equipped rearend.

On a related note, I have a complete rear here from - I believe a 2000 C3500 orange truck that sleeps 4.

We had 3 different trucks, but I am pretty sure the bed and rear end here are from the 2000.

i ALSO HAVE a new in box, set of - I think 3.73 gears - I can check the numbers on the box if anybody is interested - I was going to stick in the rear of the K3500. Never got to it and probably never will. I don't drive much anymore, so really no need and to much other stuff to do, to do any playing.

I am out in Idaho now, land of plentiful junkyards. now might be a good time to find a 3.42 or a 3.73 to screw around with. I am OCD about original components, so I will be rebuilding the original, but might run a different ratio axle for experimentation sake.

@WarWagon, that will not only be a no, but a heck no on the 4 wheel discs. :) Discs have a proper place, and the proper place is on the front end, never the back. :) The thing I hate most about the 06 is the 4 wheel discs, entirely from a parking brake holding ability, stopping ability is fine, but IMO not enough gain there to override the crappiness of the parking brake. what I do with the rigs, I sometimes idle in winter while I sleep, and I want to know I have a good enough brake to hold a 20K plus combo still without any doubt.

Maybe if a guy rebuilds everything and never drives down a gravel road or a winter road with salt for the rest of the trucks life, the 4 wheel discs might be OK.

So, I hate automatics and 4 wheel disc brakes. I am the opposite of most people. :)

As far as the rebuild kit, it appears most come without the outer wheel bearings, but I can order those seperate. The one on Rockauto says right in the description it comes with timkens, so that is good and I will likely go with that based on that info.

The GMT-800 axles with disc brakes have drum parking brakes inside the rotor hub.

Back