• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

06 LBZ MAF issue

On The Dirty MaFSensor when I Went To K&n Filter Edge ThRew Code So Not Knowing Better I Went To stealership And Asked About Cleaning Solutions And Got A You Just Replace Them Story. So I Assume It Must Be Reasonable And Say I'll Take One After All It's Small How Expensive Could It Be. I Put It Down And Walked. Break Clean Works Great I've Been Using It Since Then. There's No Residue. Carb Clean Doesn't Work,Leaves Residue. A Very Fine Misting With The Oil On The Filter Helps Cut The Codes Out Too.

Brake cleaner is a HUGE NO NO! Brake cleaner can EASLIY dissolve the glue on the printed circuit board, or even worse, eat the wire that makes up the MAF sensor. ONLY use MAF cleaner or electrical contact cleaner that is plastic safe on it. Anything ese is begging for problems. And ditch the K&N filter. For an 06+ truck it will actually flow less than the stock replacement filter will, and doesn't filter as well.

Didn't Know That About The Brake clean. Purchased The Truck From The Dealer In Jan Of 06 And I Put The K&N In Probably 07 When I Did Edge Juice With Attitude And 4" Cat Back.I Guess I've Been Lucky. There Is A Noticeable Difference When I Service The Filter.A Stock Filter Goes In Until The K&N DrieS out And The Truck PUlls harder. I Agree With You On the Micron Size I Stay On The Filter Service. My ex-Bro InLaw Bought One He's Been Talking To Me About Another Brand That's Dry. He invests much Of His Time in Staying Up ON His truck . He Gives His Truck Much Love And Gotta Give Him Props E="THEFERMANATOR, post: 504096, member: 343"]Brake cleaner is a HUGE NO NO! Brake cleaner can EASLIY dissolve the glue on the printed circuit board, or even worse, eat the wire that makes up the MAF sensor. ONLY use MAF cleaner or electrical contact cleaner that is plastic safe on it. Anything ese is begging for problems. And ditch the K&N filter. For an 06+ truck it will actually flow less than the stock replacement filter will, and doesn't filter as well.[/QUOTE]

There is or was a thread on here that described the air flow of the stock OEM filters. The GM round Donaldson Power Core filters actually flow much better than any aftermarket filtration.
Also a thread that explained that the K&N filters were causing a MAF code to occur due to the oiling necessary to keep the K&N filter useable.
So basically the aftermarket air filters were not necessary for our Duramax trucks that have the Power Core filters.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1943030&cc=1433305&jnid=524&jpid=7

I purchased 3 of the blue nanofiber filters when my truck was new. I am on my 3rd filter now, and I do not believe you can buy them anymore. They may be available through Amsoil, but they are extremely expensive. I guess we are limited to just the white fiber filters now.

IMG_9828[1].jpg

Is That My Ex Bro Unless Is Using. I Know This Guy Well And If He'll Use It I Have No Problem Recommending It. I'll Find Out What The Cleanable Reusable Dry Filter It'sOTE="RI Chevy Silveradoman, post: 504202, member: 8"]There is or was a thread on here that described the air flow of the stock OEM filters. The GM round Donaldson Power Core filters actually flow much better than any aftermarket filtration.
Also a thread that explained that the K&N filters were causing a MAF code to occur due to the oiling necessary to keep the K&N filter useable.
So basically the aftermarket air filters were not necessary for our Duramax trucks that have the Power Core filters.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1943030&cc=1433305&jnid=524&jpid=7

I purchased 3 of the blue nanofiber filters when my truck was new. I am on my 3rd filter now, and I do not believe you can buy them anymore. They may be available through Amsoil, but they are extremely expensive. I guess we are limited to just the white fiber filters now.

View attachment 45522[/QUOTE]
Ill

There is or was a thread on here that described the air flow of the stock OEM filters. The GM round Donaldson Power Core filters actually flow much better than any aftermarket filtration.

View attachment 45522
Bummer! It will

Ok So I'm Confused About The Stock Lbz Filter outflowing The Aftermarket Filters Like K&N ? I Understand The Part About The Micron Level That A Given Filter Will Allow Through And Obstruct From Passing Through And How Since The And Let Me Use the K&N As A Visual Because That's What I'm imagining. After I Clean The filter I Hold It Up To The Light And Can See Slightly Through The Filter To Me Yes I'm Giving Up It's Ability To Restrict Larger Micron Particulate Material But Also Less Restrictions Of Airflow?Maybe Too Much Redneck Math In There And I'm Open To Logic So ??? & Let Me Say For The Record I Believe A Paper Filter Will Keep Our Motors Cleaner And Thus Increase Longevity Call Me An Adrenalin Junky Or Playing With Fire If It's Unnecessary Meaning There Is No HP Or Torque Increase Whatsoever ?"Bgbohunt, post: 504218, member: 17349"]Bummer! It will[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Ok So I'm Confused About The Stock Lbz Filter outflowing The Aftermarket Filters Like K&N ? I Understand The Part About The Micron Level That A Given Filter Will Allow Through And Obstruct From Passing Through And How Since The And Let Me Use the K&N As A Visual Because That's What I'm imagining. After I Clean The filter I Hold It Up To The Light And Can See Slightly Through The Filter To Me Yes I'm Giving Up It's Ability To Restrict Larger Micron Particulate Material But Also Less Restrictions Of Airflow?Maybe Too Much Redneck Math In There And I'm Open To Logic So ???="Bgbohunt, post: 504218, member: 17349"]Bummer! It will
So Im[/QUOTE]
Not sure on how it all works out, but the stock OEM filters outflow the after market filters. Flows more CFM's of air.

my experiences have been with catback Magnaflow 4" edge Juice with Attitude programmer and switching between the factories filter and K&N. when I clean my K&N I put a new clean blue filter in . it is in for 24 to 48 hours while my K&N filter dries out. whole time I am missing the K&N . this could all be because my truck is tuned to that filter I believe and I have actually been questioning cold air box , turbo downpipe and cat delete.Silveradoman, post: 504254, member: 8"]Not sure on how it all works out, but the stock OEM filters outflow the after market filters. Flows more CFM's of air.[/QUOTE]
My experiences

Last edited:
it would probably probably be helpful if I knew better the configuration of the edge programmer or better yet what my exact settings are but I leave it on Towe Haul which is number 2 but there are several settings within that number2.

a buddy of mine used to run AMSOIL all the time but recently changed I haven't taken the time to get the details on what he change do and why but I will post when he tells me.
Is That My Ex Bro Unless Is Using. I Know This Guy Well And If He'll Use It I Have No Problem Recommending It. I'll Find Out What The Cleanable Reusable Dry Filter It'sOTE="RI Chevy Silveradoman, post: 504202, member: 8"]There is or was a thread on here that described the air flow of the stock OEM filters. The GM round Donaldson Power Core filters actually flow much better than any aftermarket filtration.

View attachment 45522
Ill[/QUOTE]

I do my best not to be a gross polluter and actually wish I noticed a more substantial torque increase when I went to stage 5 . I actually believe that the system needs more air. I understand that I can't get it all from my filter and to be honest with you I'm kind of jealous of my buddies truck that is an 06 GMC with turbo back 4 inch and cold air ,you can sure hear the turbo whistle and I like that it does not smoke as much for the power output that may just be my perception?
it would probably probably be helpful if I knew better the configuration of the edge programmer or better yet what my exact settings are but I leave it on Towe Haul which is number 2 but there are several settings within that number2.

K&N would have died years back if not for marketing. In almost every test done on there filters, it has shown the ONLY time they outflow stock filters is right after cleaning. The problem with that is right after cleaning a K&N does not filter that well. So yes your flowing more air, but you are also filtering less of the smaller micron sized debris that destroys your engine. Even K&N will tell you in order for there filters to filter well, they need a layer of dirt on them and a layer of oil applied over it, then they will filter as well as a stock filter does down to the smaller size debris that kills engines. For the LBZ, the stock paper filter has MASSIVe amounts MORE filter media crammed into the can VS the K&N drop in assembly. And there have been several tests done on modified stock whatever trucks taht have proven the downfalls of K&N filters. K&N is a 4 letter word for GM owners also when it comes to dirty MAF sensors and all the troubles it can cause.

I like the information. this would have to be why I like to keep it clean because I notice it doing that. what do you think about the cold air intake and other filter I mentioned? that makes sense even cleaning it's letting dirt by that I'm not Seeing. it's almost deceptive. at least with a paper filter its new and when it gets dirty you'd see it and discard.
micron area Would Need To Be Greater Inches Of Surface For More flow?
K&N would have died years back if not for marketing. In almost every test done on there filters, it has shown the ONLY time they outflow stock filters is right after cleaning. The problem with that is right after cleaning a K&N does not filter that well. So yes your flowing more air, but you are also filtering less of the smaller micron sized debris that destroys your engine. Even K&N will tell you in order for there filters to filter well, they need a layer of dirt on them and a layer of oil applied over it, then they will filter as well as a stock filter does down to the smaller size debris that kills engines. For the LBZ, the stock paper filter has MASSIVe amounts MORE filter media crammed into the can VS the K&N drop in assembly. And there have been several tests done on modified stock whatever trucks taht have proven the downfalls of K&N filters. K&N is a 4 letter word for GM owners also when it comes to dirty MAF sensors and all the troubles it can cause.

Back