• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

06 Jetta TDI belt tensioner bounce

Running a WMI system with 50/50 -35°F windshield washer fluid will both lower IAT and exhaust temps AND increase power and MPG. You need a pump that produces at least 50 psi to get proper atomization of the 'boost juice' out the nozzle and to overcome boost pressure.

Just thought I'd update the thread. the poor Jetta is down for the count after having to tow it back home from the next town! got it home and up on stands thinking that it had broken a cv shaft. Nope! something in the trans has broken, cranking it up grinds like hell but the wheels both turn and will shift gears but sounds horrible. I think it's ether gonna need a new dual mass flywheel or a transmission! :(

Those dual mass flywheels are a piece of junk. There was a write up in Diesel Power a few years back of (I believe) a 2002 Jetta that had its diesel hopped up to near 300 hp and its automatic transaxle swapped out for a manual and a conventional flywheel with a heavy-duty aftermarket clutch. The VW automatics couldn't handle the lower RPM torque band of the diesel vs. gasser. My late father had bought used an '01 Jetta hatch diesel and loved the fuel mileage around town, but about 20K miles later as it approached 140K miles on the clock, the automatic transmission began to go. The cost to rebuild the tranny was about the cost of swapping out for a used manual with an upgraded flywheel and H/D clutch, so he just sold it and bought a 2 year old Focus from Enterprise's used rental fleet.

yeah some had krappy tranny's we had a 06 jetta diesel that had what they called a triptronic 5 speed automatic. those are junk tranny went out and the car went bye bye lol the 06 and newer uses a DSG 6 speed that is basically a manual tranny but will electronically shift like an auto. I looked up the price tag on the dual mas flywheel.. $500+ depending on where you get it from. and searching online it seems they tend to wear out or destroy the trans bell housing at around 100k ours has over 200k on it. I guess I would conciser ourselves lucky it lasted plus didn't puke the tranny all over the road when it kicked the bucket!

I never got around to posting an update on the status of the Jetta. Well, rewind back to October I finally got the courage to pull the transmission to find out what happened. Why the grinding noise and not moving under its own power. Checking the CV axles along the way. When I had pulled the tranny I found the dual mass flywheel had no splines left and the trans input shaft was worn pretty bad that I can tell.

The input shaft is fairly easy to remove if I can find a junk donor since there’s nothing wrong with it otherwise. Before I dropped the tranny. I put the car up on stands and fired it up. Other than the hellacious noise it spun both front tires and shifted into all gears with no problems.

Here’s some pics of the carnage…. mind you these pics are from today with a little rust setting in. it all was shiny and with metal powder all over the place at the time of disassembly

FBA19701-913B-4F12-BE50-6AC2617DCD97.jpeg
FDEDA45C-E4AE-4647-BCAD-96C83AADD5AF.jpeg

B09FFC28-7AB4-45E6-B66B-6972C769A2EC.jpeg48610F05-7D38-4D7F-A1E3-E248BF508752.jpeg

And as mentioned on the other thread, the best "fix" recommended by all the VW diesel experts is to abandon the automatic and go to an aftermarket HD flywheel and clutch assembly in front of the manual transmission. While the dual clutch "autostick" works behind the VW gassers, it's no match for the TDI's bottom end torque, as you found out when you tore that apart that unit. Oh, and if you're going to contemplate a new dual clutch and a new to it input shaft, you better be figuring in about another $3K to rebuild and upgrade that transaxle, too. Otherwise you'll be pulling it back out in another few thousand miles to rebuild it anyway.

your probably right! the mecatronic unit (I think that's what it's called where all the solenoids are) would at times give shifting issues in the cold mornings if you tried to go somewhere without letting the car warm up. as soon as you put it into drive and tried to press the go pedal the PRNDL lights would start flashing. Would have to shut off the car and try again, letting it idle for maybe 5 minutes and it would be fine.

Yeah I saw it, the 01-05 jetta's had a 5 speed triptronic transaxle. those were literal junk. my wife had a 04 jetta diesel with one of those tranny's in it. it was a great car until it wasn't! they did a lot of upgrades when the DSG came out. the first ones (06-10 or 11) have the 6 speed, the newer ones are currently using a 7 speed. they have evolved kinda like Chrysler did with their front wheel drive units in the 90's where they were great until they began to randomly engage TCC lockup at a stop light and bust crankshafts... they progressed into I forget what the name is for their current transaxle but they are hard to kill them now.

Dbrannon,

Did you ever have to put a cam,etc in your 06 brm?I worked on one of those several years ago for a guy I know.It wiped out the cam lobe that was closest to the timing belt.He bought the complete cam kit from eBay with new bolts and had me install it.I removed the oil pan and cleaned it out but quite a bit of metal was found from the worn lobe.It worked great afterwards.

He bought that car for $1500 and tried to sell it to me for $9000.Wasn’t gonna happen…I walked away from it and him.

I've not had to do this, but have read of the horror stories on these engines and the cams. it requires a special high zddp oil and HAS to use 5-40 on top of that! German engineers :rolleyes:
so far we have had good luck running Rotella T6 5-40, after all the research I did trying to find an alternative oil instead of paying a premium for VW's oils.

I think the cams are somewhat similar to the old flat tappet cams where they are soft metal needing the zinc coating to keep them from self destructing.

Yes the zddp is definitely needed.I used to put a bottle of comp cams additive in my 13 Passat tdi and another bottle in my om642 just for peace of mind to protect the chains and guides in the Benz engine.Rotella is definitely a good oil.

I've not had to do this, but have read of the horror stories on these engines and the cams. it requires a special high zddp oil and HAS to use 5-40 on top of that! German engineers :rolleyes:
so far we have had good luck running Rotella T6 5-40, after all the research I did trying to find an alternative oil instead of paying a premium for VW's oils.

I think the cams are somewhat similar to the old flat tappet cams where they are soft metal needing the zinc coating to keep them from self destructing.
Have you looked into the oil that Chris sells?

Somebody also posted a link for a good additive in a thread about that oil.

Have you looked into the oil that Chris sells?

Somebody also posted a link for a good additive in a thread about that oil.
no I didn't know he sells oil. I need to look at that. the jetta is still down and we haven't decided if we should pull the trigger on another tranny or scrap the car yet. honestly for the amount of funds it would cost to get this ride back on the road we could buy a complete running unit and turn this one into a parts rig.

Back