• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

06 Jetta TDI belt tensioner bounce

Husker6.5

135' diagonal 16:9HD, 25KW sound!
Reaction score
Running a WMI system with 50/50 -35°F windshield washer fluid will both lower IAT and exhaust temps AND increase power and MPG. You need a pump that produces at least 50 psi to get proper atomization of the 'boost juice' out the nozzle and to overcome boost pressure.

dbrannon79

I'm getting there!
Reaction score
Just thought I'd update the thread. the poor Jetta is down for the count after having to tow it back home from the next town! got it home and up on stands thinking that it had broken a cv shaft. Nope! something in the trans has broken, cranking it up grinds like hell but the wheels both turn and will shift gears but sounds horrible. I think it's ether gonna need a new dual mass flywheel or a transmission! :(

Husker6.5

135' diagonal 16:9HD, 25KW sound!
Reaction score
Those dual mass flywheels are a piece of junk. There was a write up in Diesel Power a few years back of (I believe) a 2002 Jetta that had its diesel hopped up to near 300 hp and its automatic transaxle swapped out for a manual and a conventional flywheel with a heavy-duty aftermarket clutch. The VW automatics couldn't handle the lower RPM torque band of the diesel vs. gasser. My late father had bought used an '01 Jetta hatch diesel and loved the fuel mileage around town, but about 20K miles later as it approached 140K miles on the clock, the automatic transmission began to go. The cost to rebuild the tranny was about the cost of swapping out for a used manual with an upgraded flywheel and H/D clutch, so he just sold it and bought a 2 year old Focus from Enterprise's used rental fleet.

dbrannon79

I'm getting there!
Reaction score
yeah some had krappy tranny's we had a 06 jetta diesel that had what they called a triptronic 5 speed automatic. those are junk tranny went out and the car went bye bye lol the 06 and newer uses a DSG 6 speed that is basically a manual tranny but will electronically shift like an auto. I looked up the price tag on the dual mas flywheel.. $500+ depending on where you get it from. and searching online it seems they tend to wear out or destroy the trans bell housing at around 100k ours has over 200k on it. I guess I would conciser ourselves lucky it lasted plus didn't puke the tranny all over the road when it kicked the bucket!