• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

03 4L80 problems.

Tyler Anthony

Reaction score
I have an 03 Chevy 2500hd with the 6.0L, the bottom transmission line popped off on me and naturally blew out all the fluid, I was going under 10mph and only went 1/4 to Half a mile. When it popped off I was in 4wd in some crusted snow, I pinned it to get out and that's when the line popped. Luckily I was at a neighbors farm yard and found tranny fluid. I filled the tranny and it would go forward, but no reverse. I was able to drive home, no cell service for a ride home. Drove about 10-15mph, trans temp was "normal". When I put it in neutral now, it goes forward, tries to stall in reverse and will not go into neutral. This is the first and only issue I've ever had with the pickup. Maybe the bands or the clutch's are bad, or gummed up solenoids, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The line that goes to the center of the trans lubricates everything from there back. It doesn't take long to kill one if oil stops feeding into that port. Hate to say it, but it don't sound good if it's dragging in neutral

Sorry Tyler, but not walking out and having a tow truck cost you the trans. You might share your location incase one of the members here lives or lived there and knows a good transmission shop for a rebuild. I would expect “hard part” damage and price a new trans as worse case scenario.

In most cases Having the truck where the trans shop can test drive it themselves is better, but in this case, It won’t matter.
Talk to the shops before you pull it, some shops charge very little for R&R labor but have better warranty when they do it. If you save money by pulling and installing yourself and something is wrong with the rebuild, they might charge you for pull & install and only warranty the trans itself and laws covering that change from one area to another.

I really wish there was a ‘murphy’ (Low oil shut off) switch in engines and transmissions for these scenarios. Of coarse depending where you live, ruined transmission may be safer than it Being forced to shut off, that recent -40 drive our AK friend just did comes to mind...

Located in northern Montana on Montana/Saskatchewan border. I figured the trans is probably toast. I have found a rebuilt one, not yet installed, comes with a warranty. Around 2k. Built for high performance engine I guess. If it doesn't effect warranty, going to install myself. I've done a few tranny's, first on a Chevy for me.

Located in northern Montana on Montana/Saskatchewan border. I figured the trans is probably toast. I have found a rebuilt one, not yet installed, comes with a warranty. Around 2k. Built for high performance engine I guess. If it doesn't effect warranty, going to install myself. I've done a few tranny's, first on a Chevy for me.
Biggest thing is flushing the transmission cooler, probably best to just replace it and the hoses and save the receipts. The rebuilder should supply instructions for flushing the cooler and hoses but, I just do not trust the rebuilder to warrantee a failed transmission no matter how thorough of a job I did at following their instructions. If You do flush, save those receipts for materials too.
At least with new cooler and hoses they can not blame You for an improper flush.

For a stock truck you are far better off to get one with stock borg warner high energy clutches, internally dual feed direct clutches, and the other updates.

Back