• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

02 Denali 4l60

tanman_2006

Just a farm kid...
Reaction score
Working on my brother in laws Denali. It has a 6" lift and 35" mud tires. Driving in the mountains on a ski trip he heard a loud pop and the engine free revs in drive and reverse.

So we pulled the trans and tcase assuming a broken input shaft. Now we cant get the torque converter to pull off the input.

Any advice?

Wow.. Uhmm, a couple long pry bars and some choice words would be a start. Sounds like not much could be hurt at this point.

Piece of thick angle iron across bell housing face with 2 holes in it that line up with flywheel mount holes. 2 pieces of threaded rod(aka all thread) through hole and into tc nut. Then on outside of angle iron couple of washers (2 or 3) with grease on them then a nut. Thrust bearings are better if you have a couple. Grease the threads also where it will go through the nut. Take turn tightening the nuts so it works as a big puller. Once you have some decent tension use plastic dead blow hammer and smack the tc.

Quick question, does the converter move in or out at all? Sounds to me like he spun the shaft going into the drum, and/or welded it to the converter. You can try some prybars, 1 under each side as you don't have much to lose right now. You may also want to try standing it up and rotating the converter while lifting it straight up. I believe with how the 300mm converters input shaft is built, if the input shaft spun from the drum, the shaft can slide forward, go past the splines, and lock up inside the converter.

Any way to get that out ferm?
If it did slide padt the splines, then all you can do is spin it while lifting it straight up until until the splines line up again. I've also heard of pumps breaki,g and seizing to the converter snout, thats why I asked if it slides in or out at all to see how locked up it is.

Would venture a guess its a pump explosion. It ramped up pressure when the ecm detected a slip, most likely the TCC apply valve bore wear problem in the aluminum valve body on these 4L60's.

My 2000 Camaro did this (minus the outright failure) there about 10 years ago and IIRC was accompanied by the p1870 code and I/O slippage codes. NECK SNAPPING shifts,lol.

Back