• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GMT 800 Brake Conversion > Silverado HD 2500

Back in the day I looked at the GMT-400 disc brake conversion kits and they were priced at $580. I see they are now over $1200. My entire axle cost me $260 harvested from a Pick-A-Part boneyard and that was complete with rotors, calibers and pads. The spring and snubber perches, plus the welding added $100. Just ordered a parking brake cable equalizer for $15 including taxes and shipping. Way cheaper than any conversion kit I priced.

Yea the kit was a bit less back when I purchased also.

BBB
Bought Before Bidenflation.
So LKQ Pick-A-Part has now started charging separately for any fasteners and integrated pieces of equipment. Example: when I harvested the GMT-800 axle with disc brakes, I was charged just for the axle. Now they would charge for the disc brakes, parking brake cables, etc.

This past weekend I honestly revealed the hardware for the u-joints on the drive shaft I harvested. They said I needed to go back and pay for those. I bitched they had not done that before, but no go. That said, I own LKQ stock, so it get back in the form of dividends and share price appreciation.
IMG_3958.png

I've done a few of these now and I've found the easiest and best way (maybe not cheapest) is buying new moog lifetime lower control arms gmt800. They already have new bushings and ball joint, you do not have to ream anything. Gmt400 upper control arms then install kryptonite 6292 ball joints. The outer 2 holes line up, tack weld the rear then drill and bolt.
Kryptonite also makes tierods that are beefy and work great with gmt800 spindle to gmt400 center link.
Damn that is pretty.

Question- apologies if it's already been covered here-

Will the GMT400 wheel hub/ bearing assembly bolt into the GMT800 knuckle? And will the 800 series rotor slide over the hub without issue? I'm doing this conversion first to a '93 which didn't have ABS sensors.

I know the 800 rotors slide over the hubs while the 400 rotor was held in from the backside by the studs, so several variables to consider.

Back