• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Vegetable Gardens

I hired an Amish feller to pound all mine when we put out our pasture. He knocked it out in very short order. He had a little three wheeled machine that was self propelled. It's hard to believe a blunt ended post can be hammered into the ground 3 ft. deep that easily. He said he didn't think he would have been able to drive my corner posts. Those are 4 ft. deep and 12-14" diameter.

I think so: Kubota, Iseki,Yanmar Shibaura 15-25 hp = 5-12k$ + hinged hydraulic turner and auger for another 2-3k$. Usually a mini tractor complete with a tiller.

For example:
1302134396715_bulletin.jpeg

Last edited:
I thought I knew what you meant, but also thought it would be best to ask.

I am forced to be fluent in multiple languages at work - Jibberish is one. Sometimes I understand those who speak in cursive, but there are times I have to ask for something to be repeated.

Getting started on a green house
An old timer over here. He has a Bantam drag line He uses for driving surface water wells. About 25 foot deep.
I would take a 6 inch dia pipe, cut slots for about three feets from one end then bring the end to a point.
Strap it to the under carriage of My truck then haul it to location. He would arrive with his old Bantam, pick it up by the open end, set it down in a shallow hole deep enough so it would not fall over. Then He would unchain the top and set his hammer into the pipe. Then it was drive time.
I think He told Me the hammer weighed 600 pounds. Had a long round bar about three inch diameter, ten foot or so long, welded to the end of it so it would not pull out of the sandpoint.

IMG_0251.jpeg
IMG_0252.jpeg
IMG_0254.jpeg
IMG_0256.jpeg
And Clarence, in the plaid looking shirt. Bantam owner/operator.
He was retired and wanted to stay that way but then the guy in the white painter clothes talked Him into one more pound. Donnie, in white, paid all the insurance and construction fees to get Clarence over to pound his well.
The Bantam now sets on the lot near where Clarence lives.
He still goes over and fires it up and runs the boom and cables out and in. Probably reminiscing on times past.

The one in the video was totally homemade
Yes it was.
I have gin poles for the 59 W100 Power Wagon.
I had thought about a horizontal crank engine and one of them rope sheaves that when the rope has tension it pulls the load. Building a hammer with such a configuration and mounting it on the back of the flat bed. Run it through the gin poles then I could pound wells. See if Clarence would sell Me his hammers and be all set.
Would have to drive the sand point in two sections and weld the second half to the first half when its far enough in the ground to clear the top half of the gin poles. Could even make an even taller set of poles too.
Use the 6,000 pound bed mounted winch to stand the pipe on end into a post hole then set up the driver.
IMG_3257.jpeg

I think so: Kubota, Iseki,Yanmar Shibaura 15-25 hp = 5-12k$ + hinged hydraulic turner and auger for another 2-3k$. Usually a mini tractor complete with a tiller.

For example:
View attachment 80468
My wife bought me a 26hp Kubota, loader, belly mower, forks. So we would have something I didn't have to work on. Over $30,000.

Didn't work. Maintenance happens by the hour.
She likes it.
We've had 3 Kubotas. I didn't like any of them. Just not comfortable for me and hard to get on and off of.

Yes it was.
I have gin poles for the 59 W100 Power Wagon.
I had thought about a horizontal crank engine and one of them rope sheaves that when the rope has tension it pulls the load. Building a hammer with such a configuration and mounting it on the back of the flat bed. Run it through the gin poles then I could pound wells. See if Clarence would sell Me his hammers and be all set.
Would have to drive the sand point in two sections and weld the second half to the first half when its far enough in the ground to clear the top half of the gin poles. Could even make an even taller set of poles too.
Use the 6,000 pound bed mounted winch to stand the pipe on end into a post hole then set up the driver.
View attachment 80494
Do you run water while pounding, like I've seen done around here?

Average well by a friend was about 225'. He just posted this morning they were something like 340' and no water yet

Do you run water while pounding, like I've seen done around here?

Average well by a friend was about 225'. He just posted this morning they were something like 340' and no water yet
I have only watched Clarence pound with His Bantam. I have not pounded any. Clarence never run water while pounding.
Drive the sandpoint until it hit bedrock then I’d come in with the 3” Homelite Diaphragm pump and suck the sand and gravel out. Pound on the top of the pipe until I’d get no more sand or gravel and the water would run clear and clean then if the customer wanted, I’d hook the stand pipe and pump to the well.
I developed a system that works very good for these shallow wells.
No black poly pipe down the well. PVC with glued and screwed components. Foot valve in the bottom, T right off the pump with the upper piece of pipe above the pump with a cap on top.
Unscrew the cap and fill the stand pipe and the pump would then be primed. Screw on the cap and fire it up.
Many wells was set up with that worthless black rolled poly pipe. Every joint would leak and the well would loose prime.
No more problems when I got finished with them.
I too would set up their wells with a pressure tank if they so desired to have one of those.
If they was going to install a sprinkler system I’d also set the pump to a pump start box. The sprinkler timer would turn on and send a signal to the pump start box, relay kick in and then the pump would turn on.
I loved that little business that I started, then, my back got damaged and I could no longer pack the hoses and do the required work to get the wells cleaned so had to sell the business. 😖🤷‍♂️😹😹😹

Back