• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Moving at a snail's pace on my A2W install, but progress is progress. Had a few minutes to fab a lower bracket for the heat exchanger and got it bolted in. Next will be the upper brackets and finding somewhere for the pump.

Attachments

• 20211122_142311.jpg
    20211122_142311.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Jacked up the front of the neighbor's wife's Kia with 50K miles on it to check what she though was "suspension noise" squak-squeal when turning left. Wheel bearings checked out ok, no suspension looseness, no noises when turning the wheels lock to lock by grabbing a tire and manually moving them side to side. On a whim, dropped the front end back down, popped hood, pulled cap on P/S reservoir and fluid was about an inch below the Cold Full mark. Topped it up to the Full Cold. She drove to work that night (she's an overnight dispatcher for the UN-L Police Department) and back this morning. No "suspension noise" when she turns, she reported. Her and her husband deferred to me to look at it since I've wrenched on so many different vehicles over the years, and they didn't want to take it to their mechanic just to be told either nothing was wrong with it, or find it was just something simple.

Yesterday I deleted the ABS on my 98 K1500. The delete itself was easy enough, I used the proportioning valve off my 94 that's getting the Cummins so I need the Hydro boost for that. Hardest part was finding a tee fitting to tie the front brake lines to the single front outlet on the valve. Went to 10 different parts stores, last store had it. Everyone used to carry that stuff! I have way better braking and higher more solid pedal now.
This morning I tackled the upper control arms on the same truck. Expected frozen parts from a 23 year old truck but was pleasantly surprised that it didn't fight me.
Then I used the same truck to haul a couple logs to an amish sawmill to get sawn. I usually use the 2500 for that but we had snow today and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to back the load up his driveway with snow and only 2wd.
I took it real easy on the way over (lots of hills), and about 3/4 of the way up one of the hills the transmission made a huge "BANG" and it sounded like gears grinding as it came to a stop. Would not move forward at all after that to get off the road. Defitly broke some hard parts, possibly planetrys or one of the drums?
Thank goodness it was a secondary road so not much traffic. It still has reverse so I backed half a mile down the hill and got off the side of the road. Thank the good Lord for family! I called my son and he was able to leave work to come tow the truck home and I called my brother and he came and got the loaded trailer.
So what I did to my GMT400 was to fix it and break it all in the same day!
It could always be worse. Nobody got hurt!
Luckily I have other trucks to drive.

Yesterday I deleted the ABS on my 98 K1500. The delete itself was easy enough, I used the proportioning valve off my 94 that's getting the Cummins so I need the Hydro boost for that. Hardest part was finding a tee fitting to tie the front brake lines to the single front outlet on the valve. Went to 10 different parts stores, last store had it. Everyone used to carry that stuff! I have way better braking and higher more solid pedal now.
This morning I tackled the upper control arms on the same truck. Expected frozen parts from a 23 year old truck but was pleasantly surprised that it didn't fight me.
Then I used the same truck to haul a couple logs to an amish sawmill to get sawn. I usually use the 2500 for that but we had snow today and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to back the load up his driveway with snow and only 2wd.
I took it real easy on the way over (lots of hills), and about 3/4 of the way up one of the hills the transmission made a huge "BANG" and it sounded like gears grinding as it came to a stop. Would not move forward at all after that to get off the road. Defitly broke some hard parts, possibly planetrys or one of the drums?
Thank goodness it was a secondary road so not much traffic. It still has reverse so I backed half a mile down the hill and got off the side of the road. Thank the good Lord for family! I called my son and he was able to leave work to come tow the truck home and I called my brother and he came and got the loaded trailer.

Another "what my GMT 400 did to me" post.

If you’re interested in tackling the job yourself, I used transmissionbench.com to rebuild both my 4L60e and 4L80e and they’re both surviving well in non-stock applications now. His vehicles are very thorough and methodical and perfect for a transmission rebuilding noob. I had never been into an automatic transmission before I did these rebuilds and his videos gave me confidence to tackle it myself. And as a bonus they’re geared towards DIYers so he uses readily available tools, or shows you how to make tools, so you don’t need to invest in expensive tools. Highly recommend. Good way to save quite a few bucks.

If you’re interested in tackling the job yourself, I used transmissionbench.com to rebuild both my 4L60e and 4L80e and they’re both surviving well in non-stock applications now. His vehicles are very thorough and methodical and perfect for a transmission rebuilding noob. I had never been into an automatic transmission before I did these rebuilds and his videos gave me confidence to tackle it myself. And as a bonus they’re geared towards DIYers so he uses readily available tools, or shows you how to make tools, so you don’t need to invest in expensive tools. Highly recommend. Good way to save quite a few bucks.
I may decide to do it myself but I have a lot of "irons in the fire" right now. Thanks for the reference!

Got the MOOG Lower Control Arm bushings. Same part # as the Mevotech’s. Same fitment issue. The outer casings must squeeze down to fit into the LCAs. They’ll be done this afternoon.

Was at the Pick A Part boneyard getting various things. More GMT-800 Suburbans and Tahoe’s than GMT-400s. They did have a fresh 1999 GMT-400 K2500 Suburban with forged lower control arms. I’d be willing to harvest for someone, but they must pay full boat, including shipping.

Finally got the skid plate for the fuel tank installed on the ‘94. My son dropped the tank thinking the stalling was due to a clogged sock (who here told him that) and he just left it in yard and never could find the bolts, which was the main reason I hit the boneyard. Could not find the bolts there, but was able to find a rear seat belt for a friend in Montana who has a 2001 Suburban. Finally found a bolt in my junk drawers with threads that fit the tank skid: 3/8 Coarse. Here I thought the damn things would be metric. Off to Home Depot for a set of bolts and now it’s installed and outta my f’n yard (ladies kiss the Mech).

Got the MOOG Lower Control Arm bushings. Same part # as the Mevotech’s. Same fitment issue. The outer casings must squeeze down to fit into the LCAs. They’ll be done this afternoon.

Was at the Pick A Part boneyard getting various things. More GMT-800 Suburbans and Tahoe’s than GMT-400s. They did have a fresh 1999 GMT-400 K2500 Suburban with forged lower control arms. I’d be willing to harvest for someone, but they must pay full boat, including shipping.

Finally got the skid plate for the fuel tank installed on the ‘94. My son dropped the tank thinking the stalling was due to a clogged sock (who here told him that) and he just left it in yard and never could find the bolts, which was the main reason I hit the boneyard. Could not find the bolts there, but was able to find a rear seat belt for a friend in Montana who has a 2001 Suburban. Finally found a bolt in my junk drawers with threads that fit the tank skid: 3/8 Coarse. Here I thought the damn things would be metric. Off to Home Depot for a set of bolts and now it’s installed and outta my f’n yard (ladies kiss the Mech).
I had a hell of a time getting the bushings in my forged control arms. They didn’t have an outer casing though. Sure you have the right ones? I’ll have to do some digging to find what ones I used. I think I might have gone with Delco, but can’t recall for sure at the moment.

I actually found the post and the part number.

I had a hell of a time getting the bushings in my forged control arms. They didn’t have an outer casing though. Sure you have the right ones? I’ll have to do some digging to find what ones I used. I think I might have gone with Delco, but can’t recall for sure at the moment.

They are not the right ones.

That sucks. I remember having a heck of a time finding the right ones. Good old Rock Auto came through though.

Sadly, I’ve done the bushings before on my ‘99 K2500 Suburban and the parts were ordered from Rock Auto. Now it appears their catalog as well as Napa’s can’t refer the correct part number.

Back