• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Late to Early 4L80E

Mtnxtreme

Reaction score
I have a 06 Chevy 2500 Express blown tranny I have a good 97 Silverado 4L80E tranny but it has only 6 bolt bell housing vs the 06 having 7 but the pattern looks the same just one less bolt the 06 is a 6.0 dint know what motor the 97 had are these interchangeable ?!

If it is a 97 trans, it will work, just has 1 less bellhousing bolt at the very top. The converter is a different story. The 6.0l uses a fairly loose converter, a good bit looser than any 97 4l80e used. You would also have to keep in mind to order parts for a 97 if you need trans parts as there were several internal improvements in 99(to deal with tow/haul mode), and some electrical changes in 04. My only concern would be running in tow/haul mode, the 97 trans had hollow shafts, the 06 had solid, you could snap a hollow shaft running with the converter locked going from accel to decel. It's not likely to happen, but it is a possibility.

I just saw the tag says 99 Silverado dont know if that makes it any better. The guy I got it from claims it was a 6.0 but who knows what to believe. This is just a work van, never tow with it, maybe just run for materials etc. around town and some Highway. What would the converter do if it’s different ?

Last edited:
Last I checked it was $1100 to rebuild a 4L80E including R&R. Why are you messing around with unknown used when 1/2 the labor bill is getting it in and out? You want the proper torque converter and if all else spend the money on a good rebuilt one as IMO the TCC clutch is one of the first to wear out. I got a more life out of a 4L80E just by replacing the TCC with a Triple Disc Yank converter as the clutch was starting to slip in it.

Last I checked it was $1100 to rebuild a 4L80E including R&R. Why are you messing around with unknown used when 1/2 the labor bill is getting it in and out? You want the proper torque converter and if all else spend the money on a good rebuilt one as IMO the TCC clutch is one of the first to wear out. I got a more life out of a 4L80E just by replacing the TCC with a Triple Disc Yank converter as the clutch was starting to slip in it.
I think that system You had put together was mighty impressive too.

If it is a 97 trans, it will work, just has 1 less bellhousing bolt at the very top. The converter is a different story. The 6.0l uses a fairly loose converter, a good bit looser than any 97 4l80e used. You would also have to keep in mind to order parts for a 97 if you need trans parts as there were several internal improvements in 99(to deal with tow/haul mode), and some electrical changes in 04. My only concern would be running in tow/haul mode, the 97 trans had hollow shafts, the 06 had solid, you could snap a hollow shaft running with the converter locked going from accel to decel. It's not likely to happen, but it is a possibility.

Where does this MIS INFORMATION Come from? If you follow or believe, it is wrong. Sad to read this over the years, but you are mislead by this............ Writer doesn't even read published material by GM.

Where does this MIS INFORMATION Come from? If you follow or believe, it is wrong. Sad to read this over the years, but you are mislead by this............ Writer doesn't even read published material by GM.
Please enlighten us!
I am not a professional transmission guy.

Yes, I am waiting, but I have a feeling I already know who you are.

Back