• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P400 in the Burb install

I know Verlin, he's a good pump builder. What did he find wrong with the pump? And did you ever try to run it with 25psi inlet pressure like it was originally calibrated for?

Most pump builders don't run it on an engine after its been on a test bench unless you specialize in a particular engine. Other wise you would have to keep one of every engine in stock and ready to run at the turn of a key. That would be expensive as all hell.

I never ran it with that inlet pressure, I just sent it to Verlin, I think the major thing he did was reset the timing. All I've done is install and run without turbo or intake to verify no fuel leaks and such. Then I came down with Covid and was in the hospital. Been sick since just before 8/01/21. Hopefully I can get back to work on it later this week.

I know Verlin, he's a good pump builder. What did he find wrong with the pump? And did you ever try to run it with 25psi inlet pressure like it was originally calibrated for?

Most pump builders don't run it on an engine after its been on a test bench unless you specialize in a particular engine. Other wise you would have to keep one of every engine in stock and ready to run at the turn of a key. That would be expensive as all hell.
Yea but at least he has an engine to run it on which is better than anyone else out there as far as I'm concerned, look what I spent at Conestoga and they couldn't verify the pump would run correctly on a 6.5, and neither one of their pumps would run right on my motor.

Yeah, any pump that used to be done at J&S, you brought the truck there and they did 1 hour free on it to dial in if custom pump. They offered same for any db2- ds4 they charged because 99% of time was electric or program issue and trying to get paid for customer error is a pain.

To be fair you never ran the pump at the correct inlet pressure it was calibrated at. Inlet pressure directly affects timing on a db2. So the pump could have been fine for all we know. I know Nates pump was done by a different builder that used to work there, but he runs 25psi and has no issues.

Last edited:
The first hopped up db2 I had, Scott told me I needed to bump up pressure a bit to 28psi.
What my brain heard was bump up a bit to 8 psi. I drove it to his shop after fighting it for 3 hours (his shop was 30 minutes away). He read pressure, walked back with a different lift pump and stuck the suction hose down the filler hose. Got it timed and took me for a drive for 1 minute and turned around back to his shop. After him saying “You missed by 20.” I broke out a $20 bill and drove straight to the parts house.

Proper pressure on a hopped up pump makes a huge difference.

Well trying to make some headway on the Burb this weekend. Does anyone have a picture or a part number for the retainer that holds the throttle cable to a DB2 pump? It seems I have lost mine. It's the one on the right side in the photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 13
Well trying to make some headway on the Burb this weekend. Does anyone have a picture or a part number for the retainer that holds the throttle cable to a DB2 pump? It seems I have lost mine. It's the one on the right side in the photos.
I think it looks like thisScreenshot_20210912-170756_Chrome.jpg

No, I have that one, it has the small groove and fits the cruise control cable as far as I can tell. That's the cable shaft on the left when looking at the pictures. But thanks.

Are you sure you need that? Both my cruise and throttle cables attach to the one on the left and the right one isn’t used.

Are you sure you need that? Both my cruise and throttle cables attach to the one on the left and the right one isn’t used.

I believe that Nate is correct.

The cruise control has a rubber bushing in it and it goes over the larger step, then the throttle goes on the outside of the same post followed by the clip.

Daa, why didn't I think of that! So that's why the only two parts in my safe keeping box was the grommet and the clip. Well it's been over a year and a half since I took it apart and my memory isn't what it used to be. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 8
Oh it all came together when you posted it, That's why the pic has the rubber grommet in it, I immediately put the grommet in the cable and figured it out. But I would have probably chased my tail for another day or so without your help, Thanks again.

Hope you cruise cable is in good shape. They are not available anymore. Not that I can find.

Hope you cruise cable is in good shape. They are not available anymore. Not that I can find.
Yeah, no longer available. I got lucky and found an NOS one on eBay. I used a Vortec 350 cruise cable when I converted the Tahoe. I had to make an adapter for the end of the cable and it worked well, but it was a little crude. I should probably figure how to make them nicely for DB2 conversions.

Back