• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Attention Crew Cab Sleeper Owners!

I carry a winter tent under my seat to comply with DOT regulations and then I have an air mattress that covers the floorboard area and makes the top of sear a full xl twin bed that I sleep on. both items cost me less than $100 and I have been doing this for over 3 years & I have been questioned and inspected so many times it is ridiculous but none have been able to say I was doing something wrong or out of DOT Regulations. Eventually after they see you enough that just stop bothering you about it and check the basic stuff on the truck. Only time I am checked now days is when it's a rookie and the older troopers bet them lunch that they can't find something to write me up on.
Had a trooper tell me he knew what I was doing and I simply said I have no idea what he is talking about, he then said very very smart & went on about his business.
This is the simplest and best way to deal with this rule if you hot shot in a 1 ton P/U.
Posted is a picture of my air bed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-11-13-18-50-01.png
    Screenshot_2016-11-13-18-50-01.png
    142.2 KB · Views: 27
Has anyone actually read the full sleeper regulations? it states 75x24x24 yes but the one there getting everyone on is the safety restraints that have to hold 6000 pounds of force. Actually was inspected and have the conversion kit in my truck with the proper 4" spring matress which is squared. I did most of the mods myself including making the frame and welding the proper seat belt connections and putting in the proper belts with safety netting. Has passed all dot inspections easily, you gotta read all the fine print when dealing with dot regs. Same when I was driving semi truck for 20 years and owned my own. There is always something if you try to cut corners and not do it to there specs. As for doing a semi truck hauling rv's .. there to frigging heavy, have to keep under 26k in order to not pay ifta, puc, and heavy vehicle tax's like I did with my semi that I traded in for the F350.

Has anyone actually read the full sleeper regulations? it states 75x24x24 yes but the one there getting everyone on is the safety restraints that have to hold 6000 pounds of force. Actually was inspected and have the conversion kit in my truck with the proper 4" spring matress which is squared. I did most of the mods myself including making the frame and welding the proper seat belt connections and putting in the proper belts with safety netting. Has passed all dot inspections easily, you gotta read all the fine print when dealing with dot regs. Same when I was driving semi truck for 20 years and owned my own. There is always something if you try to cut corners and not do it to there specs. As for doing a semi truck hauling rv's .. there to frigging heavy, have to keep under 26k in order to not pay ifta, puc, and heavy vehicle tax's like I did with my semi that I traded in for the F350.

Has anyone actually read the full sleeper regulations? it states 75x24x24 yes but the one there getting everyone on is the safety restraints that have to hold 6000 pounds of force. Actually was inspected and have the conversion kit in my truck with the proper 4" spring matress which is squared. I did most of the mods myself including making the frame and welding the proper seat belt connections and putting in the proper belts with safety netting. Has passed all dot inspections easily, you gotta read all the fine print when dealing with dot regs. Same when I was driving semi truck for 20 years and owned my own. There is always something if you try to cut corners and not do it to there specs. As for doing a semi truck hauling rv's .. there to frigging heavy, have to keep under 26k in theorder to not pay ifta, puc, and heavy vehicle tax's like I did with my semi that I traded in for the F350.
Any chance you may help with this matter? I'm looking to get a truck soon. I am interested in having something made that can go over the cab? Any thoughts?

Any chance you may help with this matter? I'm looking to get a truck soon. I am interested in having something made that can go over the cab? Any thoughts?
Hello GK, welcome to the truck stop.
That was 2017 when J.Maroney replied to this thread, He had just that one post so I doubt He will be back.
My camper unit of desire is a popup camper that would cover the entire top of the crew cab instead of just over the back doors. LOL
I know You probably are talking a sleeper type of a unit so what I posted probably does not pertain.

Does anyone know if the woodhouse sleeper berth is compliant? It says it meets dot regs but who knows anymore.

@Jasonsvw. Post a link to the sleeper, I'm not familiar with that one...but no matter what you do DOT is going to screw with you... They hate us hotshot driver's and find anyway they can to screw up our day.

Back