• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Attention Crew Cab Sleeper Owners!

I think its all been explained very well, in short...

1. Crew Cab Sleeper conversion are NOT compliant.

2. Logging sleeper berth without a compliant sleeper is log falsification and will get put out of service and a ticket.

3. Logging off duty and sleeping in your truck will get you the same.

4. To be a compliant sleeper you must conform to the rules in section 393.76.

Longbed, shortbed it does not matter since even though you can have more than enough dimension you do not have what is needed, direct access to the drivers seat. I met a couple last week that had a rather nice truck camper (plenty of room by dimension, heck even had a bath) but the had just dealt with the same issue its not a compliant sleeper and when its attached to the back its part of a commercial vehicle. Which we all no is illegal to sleep in or upon a commercial motor vehicle. They learned and will now be "dropping there truck camper;)" to be legal. Just like the rest of us that spend our 10 hours in the truck stop lounge.

I think its all been explained very well, in short...

1. Crew Cab Sleeper conversion are NOT compliant.

2. Logging sleeper berth without a compliant sleeper is log falsification and will get put out of service and a ticket.

3. Logging off duty and sleeping in your truck will get you the same.

4. To be a compliant sleeper you must conform to the rules in section 393.76.

Longbed, shortbed it does not matter since even though you can have more than enough dimension you do not have what is needed, direct access to the drivers seat. This is the key issue and proves DOT's bias against pickup trucks. Why do they require direct access to the driver's seat? Sleeping in a motel room would not give you direct access to the driver's seat either. - I wonder if one would pass inspection, if you were to set up sleeping quarters, that meet all the dimension requirements, in the back of a Suburban or a van. The 36" x 18" access opening can be done in a Suburban without much trouble, but I'm sure they would come up with some other lame excuse to issue a ticket.

I met a couple last week that had a rather nice truck camper (plenty of room by dimension, heck even had a bath) but the had just dealt with the same issue its not a compliant sleeper and when its attached to the back its part of a commercial vehicle. This is another rule that makes no sense as far as a driver getting good/adequate sleep. Which we all know is illegal to sleep in or upon a commercial motor vehicle. They learned and will now be "dropping there truck camper;)" to be legal. Just like the rest of us that spend our 10 hours in the truck stop lounge.
:banghead:

Probably throwing gas on a raging fire, but...

Several months ago I was headed down to Dekalb to pick up daughters car that wasn't running right. I came across this guy trying to get in gas station for some fuel (he had a newer dodge with a take 3 wedge), we got to talking about hauling cars and he showed me the ticket he got for sleeping in his truck. The front seat had been removed (passenger) and it was a fairly cleaver set up. He also told me that there are some DOT cops that work the areas just around where the 10 or 12 hour work day would end up (from Chicago) and do nothing but look for 1 tons.

Its a whole new ball game now, so drive safe. As for me, I haul gas & fuel. 8000 gal at a time. Less head aches. For now....

Probably throwing gas on a raging fire, but...

Several months ago I was headed down to Dekalb to pick up daughters car that wasn't running right. I came across this guy trying to get in gas station for some fuel (he had a newer dodge with a take 3 wedge), we got to talking about hauling cars and he showed me the ticket he got for sleeping in his truck. The front seat had been removed (passenger) and it was a fairly cleaver set up. He also told me that there are some DOT cops that work the areas just around where the 10 or 12 hour work day would end up (from Chicago) and do nothing but look for 1 tons.

Its a whole new ball game now, so drive safe. As for me, I haul gas & fuel. 8000 gal at a time. Less head aches. For now....

i was just going to ask about that. if the size is there, but the direct access to the drivers seat isn't, does removing the passenger seat for better access comply??

sssooooo ......... for 1/5 of the price you guys pay for your 1 tons I can get a 2001 51" flat top international 9200 with 430 detroit 12.7L and get 11 mpg pulling a 23,000lb boat. why can't you RV guys do the same. for the little more fuel you would use you would not have a truck payment and have a legal sleeper with an engine much easier to work on.

what is it ... is the insurance different?

The trucks that we use are normally a 2nd vehicle that is used for personal use as well as business. It is hard to do that with a "big truck".

Just caught onto this thread. When I go on vacations and whatnot and I take my truck I ditch the stacks and use the canopy like I do during the winter time. For long travel I use truck stops / rest ares and just sleep in the canopy. To my understanding, this is illegal for a Commercial vehicle correct? Mine is private so technically what I'm doing is still in the legal area yes?

All of this I read makes mention of it being illegal to do in a commercial vehicle, so that means private is ok?

Hope I didn't just strike a match over gasoline :eek:

The rule only applies to commercial vehicles. If you are not working then it is a private vehicle. Just be sure that all commercial markings are removed.

Thanks SFC Cobb. Thats what I figured. The truck never was commercial and most likely never will be so I have nothing to worry about then.

I just remembered this thread and my dad had a good idea for getting rest. Just bring a tent and set it up right next to your truck. Log it as 10 hours straight off duty. When you get pulled over, show the officer the tent. You would be sleeping away from the vehicle which makes it legal. :rof:

You all are crazy anyways, sleeping in the back of a truck is hell. I ended up sleeping in my truck 4 nights out of 15 on my hunting trip, between being curled up in a fetal postion because you cant strech out, and being vunerable to creeps looking in windows and what not. Needless to say on the way back from Wyoming I choose to just drive straight through.

Back