• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Water to Air intercooler install

I am finally ready to install the water-to-air intercooler on the Tahoe. I decided to go with WTA rather than air-to-air for a couple reasons: 1) it should be easier to package a WTA intercooler because the radiator can be remote mounted and wherever I put it I only need to try to connect it to the intercooler with flexible water hose rather than aluminum piping and 2) the typical place for the ATA radiator is under the truck in the front, and it seems very vulnerable to road damage in that position so I wanted to avoid that. I know some people have been able to shoehorn them in front of the radiator, but I didn't want to add more heat to the already marginal cooling capacity of the factory cooling stack. I plan on mounting the radiator underneath the truck, kind of under where the back seat is. Hopefully I get enough heat transfer in that location, especially with enough fans on it.

I went with a kit from Frozen Boost. I went for a kit rated to around 700 cfm, so it should have more than enough cooling capacity. The options I selected are:
Type 10 intercooler which is 3" In/Out straight through
Type 101 radiator with 7" fan. This is their highest rated radiator and I liked the size of it (long and skinny), which I figured would work well where I intend to mount it
Remote filler cap
Water lines and fittings (I also ordered an additional 10' of hose since I'm mounting the radiator so far away)
4" to 3" 90* reducer
3" to 2.25" 90* reducer
3" to 2.25" 45* reducer
3" hump hose connector
T-bolt clamps to go with the silicone connectors

I ordered more silicone couplers than I need, but I wanted to have options for when I actually started installing so I didn't get stuck later.

Later I ordered a second fan once I saw how little of the total surface area the 1 included 7" fan covered. I could eventually use 3 fans if I really wanted, but I'm going to start with 2 and see how it does.

Here's what the kit looked like when I received it.
View attachment 45692 View attachment 45693 View attachment 45694

This is the pump they provide with the kit
View attachment 45695 View attachment 45696

I'm really impressed with how heavy the intercooler and radiator are. They seem really well made.

Being a fisherman and hanging used Rule bilge and livewell/bait tank pumps, the duty cycle on them is more in line with weekend recreational use than daily driving use. Eventually they overheat and melt.

Being a fisherman and hanging used Rule bilge and livewell/bait tank pumps, the duty cycle on them is more in line with weekend recreational use than daily driving use. Eventually they overheat and melt.

I didn’t end up using that pump, I ended up using one that I think is from the Cadillac CTS-V. It should be in the thread somewhere.

Back