• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1967 chevelle LLY/LBZ swap

Cuttyman9

Reaction score
I’m building a 1967 chevelle with a LLY(LBZ mechanically in the vans, just a weak tune) out of an 06 Chevy express van. (I picked the van because it comes with a 4l85 and that transmission requires no cutting to fit) the rig had 150k on it so I figured it was a prime candidate.

Got the engine, transmission and wiring from a NY wrecker and have been gathering the needed parts to slap it in. Also been playing with the wiring a bit to prep for modifying the harness. To use a much simpler/smaller fuse box.

A couple of things I’m struggling to source is a TCM wiring diagram, a diagram for the OBD port and information on a tune for an HP tuners unit my friend is going to give me.
It seems Hp tuners are not commonly used on duramax’s, but I’ll need it to bypass the egr, the intake heater, the glow plug module and the lack of the original ignition so if it can do that then it works for me.

Any insight into those things i would definitely appreciate it!5773BD6D-E064-4993-AD6C-3E866832F32D.jpegDC632FA8-BBFF-47AE-BC44-036D024C1B62.jpeg7CF4150C-A56C-46C6-978E-B04648EC491A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if hptuners will fully support this one or not. I know they read both the ecm & tcm together and the cans used a e35a bosch ecm with a t42 gm tcm. Turning vats off is easy enough to do to make it run stand alone. If you decide to delete the glow plug control module for some reason(don't know why you would for a street vehicle), you will have to install a terminating resistor across the can bus wires. Canbus or gm high speed lan requires a terminating resistor at the end of it, 06-07 only had the ecm, tcm, & gpcm on the canbus, so they decided to put the terminating resistor in the gpcm. Without the resistor, the canbus either won't work, or be very temperamental. You're going to want to get a low profile oil pan for the engine to fit into a car. I don't jnow if you're on facebook or not, but there is a very good duramax swap group on there.

Now this is a project I can get into!

I can send you wiring diagrams if you message me your email.

Ive only tuned one duramax with HP tuners and it was a L5P. If you were using EFI live I could walk you through the tuning.
That would be awesome. Yeah, I was considering it because it’s free. The same friend uses efi live on his LS stuff so maybe I can convince him to let me use that, I’m not sure if there’s a certain amount of files to be uploaded or a certain amount of vehicles it can tune per account but it’s worth asking.

Thank you everyone, I’m definitely looking forward tothe swap.

Not sure if hptuners will fully support this one or not. I know they read both the ecm & tcm together and the cans used a e35a bosch ecm with a t42 gm tcm. Turning vats off is easy enough to do to make it run stand alone. If you decide to delete the glow plug control module for some reason(don't know why you would for a street vehicle), you will have to install a terminating resistor across the can bus wires. Canbus or gm high speed lan requires a terminating resistor at the end of it, 06-07 only had the ecm, tcm, & gpcm on the canbus, so they decided to put the terminating resistor in the gpcm. Without the resistor, the canbus either won't work, or be very temperamental. You're going to want to get a low profile oil pan for the engine to fit into a car. I don't jnow if you're on facebook or not, but there is a very good duramax swap group on there.

Part because I broke off a glow plug head and part because the car won’t ever be in cold weather enough to need it, at least in theory.
Good to know on the resistor, how much resistance does it need to have?

I knew about the pan through Rick Fletes, he is local to me and has a dmax in a 70 chevelle.
Since he had experience with pans and was planning a run of low profile ones I just bought one of his. He also gave me a ton of info on the swap so I wanted to support his business.
With the 4l85 it should plop right in the car without cutting which is pretty exciting.

The other thing I do need is the ecm since they smashed mine, doesn’t seem like there’s a cost effective option for those which blows because that was supposed to be included in this deal but it’s smashed...

I am on Facebook, I’m not sure I’m in that group though.

That would be awesome. Yeah, I was considering it because it’s free. The same friend uses efi live on his LS stuff so maybe I can convince him to let me use that, I’m not sure if there’s a certain amount of files to be uploaded or a certain amount of vehicles it can tune per account but it’s worth asking.

Thank you everyone, I’m definitely looking forward tothe swap.

Just private message me your email and I can send them to you.

With EFI live you assign a vehicle to a vin license. Once you do that you can make infinite tuning changes to that vehicles ECM and TCM. EFI live will auto read what ECM/TCM you have and then you can save that file as your stock calibration. Then all you do is open that file with the editing software. Make your changes and flash the modified calibration into the ECM/TCM. Its not hard to do simple tunes. I write my own tow tunes for customers. But big HP stuff I usually have tuning company write those for me since I dont have a dyno at work to dial them in properly.

With EFI live you assign a vehicle to a vin license. Once you do that you can make infinite tuning changes to that vehicles ECM and TCM. EFI live will auto read what ECM/TCM you have and then you can save that file as your stock calibration. Then all you do is open that file with the editing software. Make your changes and flash the modified calibration into the ECM/TCM. Its not hard to do simple tunes. I write my own tow tunes for customers. But big HP stuff I usually have tuning company write those for me since I dont have a dyno at work to dial them in properly.
Interesting. I’m very, very new to tunes like this.
Since the HP tuner my friend has is free I may give that a shot because I’m really not looking to gain hp wise, just make the car make normal LBZ hp/torque and delete the things I won’t be using (egr, intake heater, glow plug module etc)

Efilive locks onto the controllers serial number, not the vehicle. So you're licensing an ECM and a TCM, not the vehicle. You can put them in whatever you want and tune them once they're licensed. They could care less about the VIN number(that is HPTuners if I understand there licensing correctly). I only say this because many have swapped ECM'S thinking the new one would be licensed because it's the same vin number.

Efilive locks onto the controllers serial number, not the vehicle. So you're licensing an ECM and a TCM, not the vehicle. You can put them in whatever you want and tune them once they're licensed. They could care less about the VIN number(that is HPTuners if I understand there licensing correctly). I only say this because many have swapped ECM'S thinking the new one would be licensed because it's the same vin number.

Correct, EFI live calls is a VIN license that you assign to the ECM/TCM. Its a good idea to clarify its licensed to the module NOT the vehicle.

Back