• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Lifters, Cam, and rockers

Rodd

Recruit
Reaction score
I noticed I have 2 bad lifters, So I am going to replace them all. What manufacturers do I need to avoid? I was going to send my cam to get ground down but I noticed leroy has clevite ones for $200 when the cost to grind is about $150. Thats a no brainer. My rockers are a little worn so need to replace those as well. Can I mix and match brands? Rockauto has 12 melling and 4 sealed power. Rockauto only has a cam lifter kit from Sealed power but it $600. I found these SP lifters on ebay. It says they fit 6.5 not sure though.

@Twisted Steel Performance iirc Chris has a set of new rockers off his p400 from him getting roller rockers.

and speaking of him, you might send the new cam to him for coating before install regardless of ifhe has those rocker arms still.

double check you push rods also.

last thing I always have to say when a camshaft is out - new bearings. They are not that hard to remove/ install.

200 new is better than 150 regrind imo on cam.

If he already sold them, ya might do a little research like calling melling. They are the only maker of the oil pumps and do packaging under other names. They might do it for those also.

I would say talk to Melling about those also, I doubt there are many manufactures of those...

How tore up is your camshaft? pics? measurements? If it is damage then ok. otherwise if it looks ok, lobes on roller lifter engines almost never suffer height/ duration loss. I would prefer old cam getting coated to new cam left stock.

And, better to ask forgiveness than permission!

I would say talk to Melling about those also, I doubt there are many manufactures of those...

How tore up is your camshaft? pics? measurements? If it is damage then ok. otherwise if it looks ok, lobes on roller lifter engines almost never suffer height/ duration loss. I would prefer old cam getting coated to new cam left stock.

And, better to ask forgiveness than permission!
The 2 lobes in question have a little scaring still smooth I think. I will get some pics. I was also thinking the same thing about the coating. I was also thinking about asking for forgiveness. LOL

I never ask forgivness until She has already found out. Why start the battle early. LOLOLOL
One thing about cam shafts for these engines, there is no such thing as a high performance grind. From what I read and what little I can remember, they all are about the same. I might be wrong so if there is some kind of a special performance grind please let Me know.

Thanks for the info Will. I will do that. I have new bearings. I want to have Chris coat everything but I am way over budget and my wife hasn't found out yet. What about the lifters?
Most the time my wife knows but just stays silent that is until she wants something then it all comes pouring out with her saying
"what do you think I'm that stupid" in the end I was the stupid one...........

Here a a couple pics of the cam. I think it can be coated. There is a little scratching on the one lobe and the other has a little wearing but everything is still smooth.

Attachments

• 20200630_195647.jpg
    20200630_195647.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200630_195531.jpg
    20200630_195531.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 6
Here are the measurements. I started the opposite side of the gear. 2.173, 2.1645 - 2.1655, 2.166 - 2.141, 2.165 - 2.164, and 2.0145-2.009. The measurements with the range were measured on the shiny area and the worn area.

0.001" out of round on #'s 2&4 isn't that bad, BUT being 0.025 out on #3 and 0.0055 on #5 (using your reference from the gear, by which I think you mean the one closest to the cam gear or what would be the #1 journal. They should be measured from front of engine to back.) means you're looking at a NEW cam and bearings.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 20200701_171744.jpg
    20200701_171744.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 8
Back