• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

88-98(-00 2500/3500's) XJ steering shaft upgrade.

Well I've sold 100-150 of these over the years and not a single complaint, and where do you see a double joint ? Both ends are single joint ...
You have a joint at each end. The 95-02 shaft has a joint only at the steering box and a solid connection in the middle. Go back to page 1, 1st picture, and look at the top shaft. That is a 95-02 shaft. Your shaft with a joint at each end, or as I called it double joints installed in a 95-02 gmt400 is adding a joint in the middle unsupported(3 joints, 2 shafts, and only supported on either end. This setup has almost killed people as a few put the borgeson shaft into 95+ trucks. Under hard steering that boot that holds the upper shaft up breaks, abd the shafts drop down binding up. Somebody on gmt400 learned this one the hard way when he wrecked his truck. It works until that boot breaks from the stress.

Do u have one that fit a 97
I built mine using my stock shaft and the lower of an XJ shaft. That was why I made this thread was to show how to build an upgraded shaft for a 95-02 because nobody else was building one. The current available shafts were for the non airbag equipped trucks. When they went to an airbag, they completely changed the column and steering shafts.

FERM, I am having trouble finding what I need to convert my lower steering shaft at this point I'm considering just replacing the stock unit w/rag-joint unit again.

Next month I'm installing the six bolt cap steering conversion box from PSC and hate the idea of the stock rag-joint configuration.

I offer the lower shaft by it's self, direct replacement.
My rag-joint lower steering shaft unit slides into the intermediate shaft and fastens there w/bolt and band type bracket around shaft.
A u-joint lower shaft would have to be only one u-joint at the steering box is this what you have for sale, or?

I just saw some images you posted the welding is impressive.

I will do pretty much as FERM did but thinking drilling and using a BIG aircraft grade rivet instead of bolt or weld.

After this I have a few other important things too do to the Burb then the PSC 6 bolt cap steering box is going in.

Well, I have installed the u-joint conversion but I'm having an issue sliding the yoke to the p/s all the way in perhaps because there is a stop on the inside of the yoke?
The hole in the yoke lets me see that the hole is past the end of the shaft allowing for the Allen lock pin and nut to be tightened into p/s output shaft.

Back