• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Squarebody roof cap removal

Landon730

Reaction score
My 83 had a tree fall on the cap back before I bought it. All it did was bust the windshield and fold the roof in. It fell diagonal across the cab from the passenger front corner to the driver side rear corner. I took a bottle jack and pushed the roof back up and the windshield actually fit back in. It doesn't leak and the doors still shut good. It still has a huge dent in the top of the cab so what I'm wanting to know is if there is a way to remove the top of the roof without having to cut and weld. I want it to look factory again without 10 gallons of bondo or a new cab. I am by no means a body guy so this is why I don't want to cut and weld/

The air powered vacuum dent pullers can work pretty good on a couple Ive seen. If the metal has creases, then hammer and dolly is going to be required.

Unless the truck sits so low you see over it when you get in, then perfection isn’t required and is a good place to learn on.

Worse case scenario, a cordless sawzall at a junkyard and at home, and a mig welder can get it done pretty easy... this from the guy that in high school decided a 75or 78 dodge pickup needed an entire foot chopped out of the top... it’s easy just keep the idea of a convertible as an option if everything goes horrible! Haha.

The air powered vacuum dent pullers can work pretty good on a couple Ive seen. If the metal has creases, then hammer and dolly is going to be required.

Unless the truck sits so low you see over it when you get in, then perfection isn’t required and is a good place to learn on.

Worse case scenario, a cordless sawzall at a junkyard and at home, and a mig welder can get it done pretty easy... this from the guy that in high school decided a 75or 78 dodge pickup needed an entire foot chopped out of the top... it’s easy just keep the idea of a convertible as an option if everything goes horrible! Haha.
It doesn’t have any creases just a dent. I’ll post a picture of the truck. I don’t have a picture of it when the can was smashed but it was so bad you couldn’t sit on the passgener side. Guy I got it from bought it and had it hauled to his place. Drove it down the driveway and parked it by his house. Came out the next morning and I tree was on it. Sat for at least a year and the interior is still like new besides the carpet and I changed the dash pad and speakers. It’s hard to see a dent here but I’m at work and can’t get a picture DF333556-6AA5-42F7-AB94-61CC8C45D602.jpeg

If not creased- yeah vacuum one works great but you have to have a high psi compressor. Higher the better for it.
I seen some folks do good with the hot glue ones, but i never tried them.

I am NOT a body guy by any means. So if I can get results, that means something. Haha

If not creased- yeah vacuum one works great but you have to have a high psi compressor. Higher the better for it.
I seen some folks do good with the hot glue ones, but i never tried them.

I am NOT a body guy by any means. So if I can get results, that means something. Haha
We have a big air compressor cabable of running a 1 inch impact so I think it should be fine. Do you know what the cost of one is?

Avoid the ”klutch”, they dont work well.
Around $200, but that was a few years back.
Sealy, hubi, body buddy, sumake, and a few others did ok. Definitely make sure you can return if if the one you get doesn’t perform well.
There are some disappointing ones out there, and rated air pressure or claimed vacuum doesn’t tell the story.

Back