• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

possible diesel swap

No, a small four-cylinder diesel of some kind. I figure a turbo four has enough torque and the MPG i want. for towing. I am not particular about what engine. It would be good to have it mechanical and simple. I don't have any emissions to worry about.

Ever since Leroy did the isuzu burb I've wanted a 4bd1 in a square body 4 speed dually. Nice sounding and stout built little engines. I mean they have cylider liners and aren't throw away design engines!

Reactions: red
Ever since Leroy did the isuzu burb I've wanted a 4bd1 in a square body 4 speed dually. Nice sounding and stout built little engines. I mean they have cylider liners and aren't throw away design engines!

Plus cranking them up past 450ft/lbs of torque is easy and not really stressing the engine.

Because a 7.3 swap would be the easy button with parts that fit out of a junkyard. The 1988 7.3 (Banks Turbo) crew cab down the road has 1/2 million miles on it and only the 2nd engine. Got to watch the coolant so it doesn't eat the liners...

Didn't Leroy remove the 4 banger diesel (aka undo the swap) due to excessive vibration?

Because a 7.3 swap would be the easy button with parts that fit out of a junkyard. The 1988 7.3 (Banks Turbo) crew cab down the road has 1/2 million miles on it and only the 2nd engine. Got to watch the coolant so it doesn't eat the liners...

Didn't Leroy remove the 4 banger diesel (aka undo the swap) due to excessive vibration?

He'd mentioned the vibration earlier in the thread but stated another reason for going back to the 6.5. The Isuzu's vibrate less than the 4BT but will always vibrate more than a v8.

Pretty sure I read that there are some running close to 400HP with the upgraded ip and turbo. Thats pretty impressive for a 4 banger.

The highest dyno'd numbers I know of are over 900ft/lbs of torque on a Cummins 4BT. A guy with the Isuzu 4BD1T who was pushing for high power blew the head gasket at over 65 psi of boost, running a compound turbo setup with a hx55 as the low pressure turbo. Went to ARP head studs and still driving it.

The highest dyno'd numbers I know of are over 900ft/lbs of torque on a Cummins 4BT. A guy with the Isuzu 4BD1T who was pushing for high power blew the head gasket at over 65 psi of boost, running a compound turbo setup with a hx55 as the low pressure turbo. Went to ARP head studs and still driving it.

I know I read a guy saying he had a head with firerings. Might be the same guy.

Reactions: red
Thanks, I was hoping for an easier swap that would mate to my c-6. Does The 7.3 bolt up? or does it require a standard trans conversion?

I think the guys that do it used adapter plates. Iirc the 460 and 7.3 were different patterns by about an inch on top side.
Don’t take this for bible, going off 1 weekend a long time ago.

Maybe check with advanced adapter?

Also could be like the th400s where they made them with different bolt paterns. One th400 in my yard right now wont interchange with the one in my nephews j10 with amc 360 engine. Then buick had its own pattern too.

I would vote more for the 6.9/7.3 idi platform. I really like the simplicity of them like the 6.2/6.5 gm idi. Proper turbo size and a good db2 makes a happy engine with ok power and good mpg.

Wish I had an exact answer, sorry.

Are you sure you have a C6? 92 I thought was E4OD as Ford came out with there HD OD in 88. And I'm 99% certain the bellhousing pattern is different. Ford wasn't like GM with a standardized bellhousing pattern. As to which engine, for a 4 cylinder the Isuzu 4bd1t would be my 1st choice. 2nd chpice would be to shop around for a 4bt Cummins 3.9l isb backed by an allison 1000 5 speed. I've seen complete takeouts ready to go out of bread vans go for under $4K.

Are you sure you have a C6? 92 I thought was E4OD as Ford came out with there HD OD in 88. And I'm 99% certain the bellhousing pattern is different. Ford wasn't like GM with a standardized bellhousing pattern. As to which engine, for a 4 cylinder the Isuzu 4bd1t would be my 1st choice. 2nd chpice would be to shop around for a 4bt Cummins 3.9l isb backed by an allison 1000 5 speed. I've seen complete takeouts ready to go out of bread vans go for under $4K.
Yes, I have a c-6 for certain. I have old knees and want to stick with my automatic. I did remember something about many automatics not being able to handle the torque of a diesel. I really needed something cheap and easy. I guess a big diesel like what comes in Fords would be the easiest. I think it would take a lot of driving to spend the amount of money it would take to buy the diesel parts. thanks for the reply though.

Back