• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

86 CUCV 6.2 turbo?

I would rather lure the rabbit out with a carrot and then blast his a$$. But if it would make everything fit and work better? Then I wouldn’t mind reaching down the hole.

To clarify something with the turbo clearance issues. The big ass air conditioning equipment from this body style makes contact with the turbo using the original 6.5 turbo exhaust manifold. Your M1009, like mine and all others, doesn't have that giant AC box to worry about (unless you've added it).

A HX35 turbo would be a pretty good match for the lower RPM's with offroad.

I finally made a decision on what I'm going to do with the blazer. I am going to take the 6.2 heads-intake off and use the heads-intake (Non EGR) off of the 96 6.5 and use a GM8 turbo and maybe a Wicked Wheel. I am going to also ARP stud the heads. I have also picked up a Brand New set of Bosch 6.5 turbo injectors (Not Remans). I have a good friend that builds high end race motors talked into reworking the heads and intake off of the 6.5. (I will owe him forever) also a manually wastegate and build a 4" custom exhaust that will have to run outside the frame rail because of space issues. The Blazer only has 57,000 original miles on it so I'm hoping the motor will like all the attention without fighting back! Hopefully in a few moths ill have everything together to start tearing it apart. Once again Thank You for all the advise and reply's...….

At least you can put a better turbo on later. Until you do, sadly, the head work is a complete waste. Any of us would take you for a spin in our trucks and you can feel what we are talking about. Even ole patch with a couple dead holes would run with a GM8 truck. When it hits all 8...

@n8in8or 6.5 will run Super Sport TrailBlazer down. There is another turbo path to look at in the future.

I finally made a decision on what I'm going to do with the blazer. I am going to take the 6.2 heads-intake off and use the heads-intake (Non EGR) off of the 96 6.5 and use a GM8 turbo and maybe a Wicked Wheel. I am going to also ARP stud the heads. I have also picked up a Brand New set of Bosch 6.5 turbo injectors (Not Remans). I have a good friend that builds high end race motors talked into reworking the heads and intake off of the 6.5. (I will owe him forever) also a manually wastegate and build a 4" custom exhaust that will have to run outside the frame rail because of space issues. The Blazer only has 57,000 original miles on it so I'm hoping the motor will like all the attention without fighting back! Hopefully in a few moths ill have everything together to start tearing it apart. Once again Thank You for all the advise and reply's...….
I love this K5 you have here! Sounds like you have a good direction forward for minimal investment. Like @WarWagon said, you won't really gain anything from the head porting now, but I always like to mess with heads while they're off. The nice thing is that with the studs and head work done, you'll be ready for a better turbo when you get ready to do that (personally I would plan on changing the turbo in the future). Have fun!

I have another question that I hope someone can help me with. Where would be the best place to purchase a full set of diamond precups? I have found out that 6 of the 8 are cracked and 2 are cracked in three places. I have seen them EBAY but I have learned the hard way that EBAY sellers like to "BEND THE TRUTH" a lot about what they sell. I am looking for a US quality set not Chinese garbage.

Future proof is Diamonds. With the s#it small GM turbo you can run 6.2 NA cups and won't notice. Go big turbo and you will regret anything less than turbo precups. So any reasonable price on genuine turbo precups from 1992 on will work well. I recall reading 6.2 heads and 6.5 precups have different diameters.

Best place is like @Burning oil site vendors...

Back